• 1 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 2 Post By FredG

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #360
Not Ranked     
Default Best year to have car registered with?

Hey guys. I have a 2006 Backdraft titled currently as a 2006 from GA. I just brought it to FL and with all of these title offices making you have an appointment (COVID related)... it is going to be time consuming and I can't just walk in.

It sounds like it should be able to be titled as a 1965 versus the 2006.

How big of a deal is it for me to go through the hoops of trying to get it switched over?

My other woe is that the car was first titled in CT and it has a shortened 7 digit VIN.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

'65? 66?
Old 05-31-2020, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It will be up to the state how it's titled, in this case FL. You'll have to find out how they do it there. I doubt you have a choice.
Larry
Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Most if not all states will accept the year of fabrication, in your case 2006 (?). A few states will allow you to title it as the year you are replicating, i.e. 1965. While that may sound like a cool thing to do when you go to sell the car you will eliminate potential buyers in those states that do not allow you title a replica as a 1965 model year but instead require you to title it as of the year of fabrication.

My suggestion would be that it drives the same irrespective of the year on the title and it sells a lot better if the year on the title is not 1965.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

My experience this past April here in NC may be similar to what you will be going through in FL.
So... in NC since an SPO or BD are a Replica (Kit) Cobra their VIN number (SPO2454 example) is NOT allowed on the title. Because they are Kit cars, they are NOT NHSTA (National Highway Safety Transportation Admin) approved, this means a Unique VIN number from the state is supplied. (I have a unique NC VIN now... not the SPO VIN number)
.... I think in CT the original VIN was for this reason... so it will be impossible to change this VIN unless FL does not require NHSTA approval for a BD kit car?

In NC, they did not care at all about the Year (1965) on my Title when I registered it. I did have the documentation and original title that did say 1965 so not much work here to keep it titled for that year.
.... the only advantage I can see of having it titled as a 1965 would be that annually it will NOT require an inspection when renewing the registration. Maybe check this in FL?

It was a pain for me registering in NC because no-one really knew how to do it for a Cobra ..

Good luck...
ront49 likes this.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Old 06-01-2020, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

I'll share my experience this past April here in NC on registering/titling mine which may be similar to what you will be going through in FL.

So... in NC since an SPO or BD are a Replica (Kit) Cobra their VIN number (SPO2454 example) is NOT allowed on the title. Because they are Kit cars, they are NOT NHSTA (National Highway Safety Transportation Admin) approved, this means a Unique VIN number from the state is supplied. (I have a unique NC VIN now... not the SPO VIN number)
.... I think in CT the original VIN was for this reason... so it will be impossible to change this VIN unless FL does not require NHSTA approval for a BD kit car?

In NC, they did not care at all about the Year (1965) on my Title when I registered it. I did have the documentation and original title that did say 1965 so not much work here to keep it titled for that year.
.... the only advantage I can see of having it titled as a 1965 would be that annually it will NOT require an inspection when renewing the registration. Maybe check this in FL?

It was a pain for me registering in NC because no-one really knew how to do it for a Cobra ..

Good luck...
MLI likes this.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Old 06-01-2020, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default BDR build 151, mfg. 2004

First of all, to me, a kit car is one that comes in various boxes and parts and you build it....a replica is a manufactured vehicle that very closely resembles a vehicle that was previously manufactured. Is a Kirkham, Superperformance or a CSX a kit car??? Hell no, they are manufactured vehicles built in a factory and sold as a particular car,truck, etc..This is a stretch but, an AMF model car that comes in a box IS a "kit" whereas a die-cast model is NOT. I suppose there is a close line but when you buy a car built or almost complete I would not consider it a kit. Compare to purchasing a new Peterbuilt...you buy it and then decide what engine, transmission, ect. you want....That's no kit. Is a "Bucket T" a kit? Back to the registration issue, like most of us can agree, it really depends on the state. In Arkansas we did away with inspections several years ago so that makes things a little easier. When I registered mine, it had an Arizona VIN assigned to it however, it also had the original BDR VIN stamped in the frame. Even though it was manufactured in 2004, AR still respected it as a REPLICA and registered it as a 1965 Cobra. I suppose they could have registered it as a 2004 Backdraft Racing Cobra and it would not have made any difference to me. That's just how we do it here.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Matt: Go online to" Florida dept of highway Safety and Motor Vehicles , division of Motor Vehicles ". and find procedure TL-48, "application for certificate of title for a replica motor vehicle"
This would be for the initial issuance of title. If you have the original "MSO", and you comply with this procedure, you might be able to get a new florida title. If you don't have the "MSO" you will just have to transfer the title you have.
ront49 likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

If you can you want the 65-66 year because:
1. You generally get an emissions concession, very often, no test whatsoever
2. In general all states decrease the annual registration fee based on age. Sure, you'll have to pay sales tax on the full purchase price but when I registered my Cobra in CO as a 65 the registration was $65 for a 5 year plate.
rads42 likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

The original owner of my Backdraft purchased and titled the car in Florida as a 1965 Cobra Replica. The title transferred here to NJ and it is still titled that way which means no inspection. Thank God.
rads42 and ront49 like this.

Last edited by FredG; 06-01-2020 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: text
Old 06-01-2020, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Good Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Matt: Go online to" Florida dept of highway Safety and Motor Vehicles , division of Motor Vehicles ". and find procedure TL-48, "application for certificate of title for a replica motor vehicle"
This would be for the initial issuance of title. If you have the original "MSO", and you comply with this procedure, you might be able to get a new florida title. If you don't have the "MSO" you will just have to transfer the title you have.
That's great info MOTORHEAD....
Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Inspection in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
The original owner of my Backdraft purchased and titled the car in Florida as a 1965 Cobra Replica. The title transferred here to NJ and it is still titled that way which means no inspection. Thank God.
Yuk...I lived in Jersey for awhile and it is one pain in the ass going thru the inspection station lines...worst of all letting some prick drive my car.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was able to get it done as '65 since "it is the year that it is replicating" per the DMV. So thanks for all of the advice guys!

The emissions piece does seem like it is worth doing.

I believe the tag fee was cheaper too as in not paying for the actual plate. I was able to get an antique plate and not have to use an old FL plate that I already had (So I can save that for later down the line on a different car)
Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here in Northwest Arkansas you can register it as the year it replicates. Our title states it is a 1965 Ford. Actually the first title came out as 1965 Bass Boat. No one could figure that one out and it took over an hour to get it right. The biggest advantage to '65 on the title is you can register as an antique (25 years in Arkansas) and pay a one time fee and never have to replate it or buy yearly stickers again.
Bill