LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2022, 10:55 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Back when I lived in NY (11+ years ago) there was a woman in the Albany offices that handled Cobra and assembled car titling/registration issues who was an absolute nightmare to deal with. She was somewhat infamous and known by name. I can't recall what her name is/was. I wonder if she's still lurking around, or hopefully she has retired and gone to pasture. She was a nightmare, and at times that seemed to be her deliberate intention. If she's gone, good riddance.
he retired some time ago. The guy who runs the department now is very helpful and uses common sense on some issues. As long as you do not Bullsh!t him, he will be generous with some of the regulations.

We have helped several people through the NYS DMV process and they didn't purchase their cars from us. Just today I had another dealer ask for help with a customer they sold.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-18-2022, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
he retired some time ago. The guy who runs the department now is very helpful and uses common sense on some issues. As long as you do not Bullsh!t him, he will be generous with some of the regulations.

We have helped several people through the NYS DMV process and they didn't purchase their cars from us. Just today I had another dealer ask for help with a customer they sold.
Great to hear, and great for Cobra folks in NY. That woman was a disaster.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     

Blackbart, could you please share details on the backup light purchase you made? I am doing this now and was trying to see if there is like a half red half white lense for one of the four bullet round lights. I have a richmond 5 speed snd I haven’t checked yet to see if there is a mechanism there for the light switch. Hoping I don’t require neutral safety switch. Did that come into play for the inspections?
Old 06-23-2022, 05:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
Blackbart, could you please share details on the backup light purchase you made? I am doing this now and was trying to see if there is like a half red half white lense for one of the four bullet round lights. I have a richmond 5 speed snd I haven’t checked yet to see if there is a mechanism there for the light switch. Hoping I don’t require neutral safety switch. Did that come into play for the inspections?
Sometimes you have to think out of the box as to what modern items (LED back up lights) are available and how to have them installed to pass safety and tech inspections.

This street legal, Atlantic Formula style car uses a unique billet unit, it handles brake lights, turn signals, and very bright back up lights. I suspect you could incorporate the back up lights into a slimmer, billet upper license plate mount that fits in the stock location. Just saying.

To give you an idea of how this blends into the rear of the car:

And yes, I want to build a Ford powered one of these, but the cockpit is smaller than my last Caterham 7, which was already a "snug" fit.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-23-2022, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #804
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
New York required a DOT certified back up light to meet the safety inspection requirements. This one complies and with a little modification it can be fitted at the rear of the car/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There is also this one, which incorporates both a back up light and a third brake light. I ended up using this one as it is much less hurtful to the eye as the first one.
https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Tilta...91&sr=8-5&th=1
A neutral switch was not a requirement in NY.
The picture shows both lights mounted. I couldn't get the picture to load correct, sorry for the upside down look.
Attached Images

ERA #804 walk around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSt_uMDOurM

Last edited by Blackbart; 06-23-2022 at 06:20 AM..
Old 11-09-2022, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark IV,

I sent you a message, same issue purchased a 1992 Classic Roadster from NJ and they want to retitle the car. I would like to have you guys do it if possible?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2023, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII SC, 351
Not Ranked     
Default DOT code for backup light?

@Blackbart,

What DOT code did you use on the paperwork for the backup light below?

I am using the same one and can't find it on the Amazon listing. Trying to get the application mailed this week.

Thanks,
Bob

There is also this one, which incorporates both a back up light and a third brake light. I ended up using this one as it is much less hurtful to the eye as the first one.
The picture shows both lights mounted. I couldn't get the picture to load correct, sorry for the upside down look.[/quote]
Old 01-10-2023, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobP607 View Post
@Blackbart,

What DOT code did you use on the paperwork for the backup light below?

I am using the same one and can't find it on the Amazon listing. Trying to get the application mailed this week.

Thanks,
Bob

The picture shows both lights mounted. I couldn't get the picture to load correct, sorry for the upside down look.
[/quote]

Bob, sent you a PM email.
ERA #804 walk around
Old 01-12-2023, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blackbart,

I am still learning my way around this site but I haven't seen your message.

Please email me at RLP1013@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-18-2023, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Well I'm glad I live in Florida. After finishing my ERA, I took the application to DMV and within 90 minutes had my title and registration in hand. They didn't even look at the car, just showed them a photo of the odometer.

The key here is to title as a Replica, not a kit car.

Kit cars require inspections and so forth, replicas don't.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:02 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Back when I lived in NY (11+ years ago) there was a woman in the Albany offices that handled Cobra and assembled car titling/registration issues who was an absolute nightmare to deal with. She was somewhat infamous and known by name. I can't recall what her name is/was. I wonder if she's still lurking around, or hopefully she has retired and gone to pasture. She was a nightmare, and at times that seemed to be her deliberate intention. If she's gone, good riddance.
That would be Kathy.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Got my plates on April 3!

I don't know if I just got really lucky or if there were seismic changes in the NY DMV. Everyone I dealt with in anyway (on the phone, email, or in person) were very friendly and helpful. From the time I called to get my application package, right up to registering at the local DMV office, these folks could not have been any easier to deal with.

I called for my application package and the gentleman I talked with was very interested in my project asking several questions about it. I actually butchered my paperwork and through an email echange the DMV office helped me straighten it out. My appointment with Division of Field Investigation was on Feb 28 on Taft Road in North Syracuse. Its 80 miles one way from my house and of course a winter storm was scheduled that day. So, I called Albany to see if there was a way to reschedule. The guy I talked to gave me the number of the inspection station so I could contact them directly. I talked to the inspector and he said it wouldn't be a big deal if I couldn't make it. I would just have to reschedule through Albany. I thanked him for his time and hung up. Maybe 5 minutes later my phone rang, it was the inspector calling me back. He said he pulled my paper work and noticed they would be 30 miles from me in a couple weeks. Perfect! Saved me 100 miles of trailering. The inspection went perfectly as well. Sent the validation form to Albany and the guy I emailed with earlier sent me the VS-103 (this is the form you need to actually register the car) later that day. After that and a regular NY safety inspection, I just needed to visit the local DMV office to register and get plates.

Many thanks to Rick Muck (Mark IV) for his assistance in getting the application filled out and advice on the padded dash requirement. Also to Blackbart for sharing his reverse light solution. Lastly thanks to Blas for his detailed schematics which were very helpful in wiring the 4 way flashers.

And many thanks to my neighbor, John, for helping me to transport the car in his enclosed trailer!

The NY process takes some time but isn't that bad and the DMV folks really seemed interested in the car. Now, my car is a Superformance so the only used part in it was the engine block and I only had 2 receipts (one for Superformance and one from the speed shop). If you're building a kit on any type, make sure you have receipts for any and all major components. If you bought a kit already completed, you will also need all those receipts so make sure the car comes with all of them. As Blackbart said earlier, plan on 7 or 8 weeks to get through it.

Bob
1795 likes this.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I thought the whole idea of the replica registration was to make it so you didn't have to meet all the modern criteria.

Would they make you put back up and ET lights and all that other stuff on an original???
Old 04-05-2023, 11:54 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I thought the whole idea of the replica registration was to make it so you didn't have to meet all the modern criteria.

Would they make you put back up and ET lights and all that other stuff on an original???
Because it is NOT an original! The NY regulations are really pretty lax and what is asked for on the forms is not inspected for at the DMV VIN assignment appointment.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great to hear all went well. Just follow the rules and things go smoothly. Now that you're "on the road" first, Congratulations! And second consider joining your fellow Cobra enthusiasts at the Lake George Summer Fun Run, July 7, 8 and 9th.!
ERA #804 walk around
Old 04-05-2023, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Because it is NOT an original! The NY regulations are really pretty lax and what is asked for on the forms is not inspected for at the DMV VIN assignment appointment.
So what prevents them from demanding anti lock brakes and stability control and air bags and backup cameras and on and on???

I ask because it's counterintuitive to add a bunch of stuff that wasn't on an original when it replicates an original with time correct construction.

I also ask because some other states seem to have a different shopping list but also require what are upgrades from the originals so there isn't any uniformity.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:51 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
So what prevents them from demanding anti lock brakes and stability control and air bags and backup cameras and on and on???

I ask because it's counterintuitive to add a bunch of stuff that wasn't on an original when it replicates an original with time correct construction.

I also ask because some other states seem to have a different shopping list but also require what are upgrades from the originals so there isn't any uniformity.
Because "self-build" automobiles in the "custom" registration class in New York State are exempt from those requirements. Yes, some states are very easy, and some are very hard.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lake George Summer Fun Run, July 7, 8 and 9th

Blackbart,

Would love to join the Lake George outing. But I checked with my scheduler (aka wife) and we are booked those dates.

If you're up for it, we could meet up for lunch sometime. This place is almost exactly halfway.

Hotel Solsville
7243 Valley Rd, Madison, NY 13402

My buddy and I stopped there on the way home from Tug Hill. Food was good and the people were friendly.

Bob
Old 04-06-2023, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

twobjshelbys,

The difference is some states allow a replica to be registered as the vintage vehicle it represents others, like NY, register it as a custom or specially constructed vehicle. Its not really a huge deal. None of the modifications required permanently modifying my vehicle.

Bob