28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2022, 07:37 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Purchase - Title/ Registration Questions

Hello,

my name is Charles I am new here and I am interested in purchasing a Cobra. Ideally interested in a new Superformance MKIII. I live in Germany however I have a place in Miami FL and would initially title/ register the car there and keep it there for the time being. That being said I would like potentially to have the ability to bring the car to Germany. However they have become quite strict with importing and registering Cobras here in Germany and a person familiar with this informed me that it is crucial to have the car titled in the US as a 1965/ 1966 “Ford Cobra” or just “Cobra”. There should be no mention of “Superformance” or replica in the title.

Since I am new to the world of Cobras (I have a number of other cars mainly MB and Porsche) I would very much appreciate any help and advice on how to ensure that the car can be titled accordingly in order to avoid any challenges with respect to registering the car in Germany in the future.

Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles
Old 09-03-2022, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Pay attention to what MrMustang has to say. He'll be along shortly.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-03-2022, 09:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post
Hello,

my name is Charles I am new here and I am interested in purchasing a Cobra. Ideally interested in a new Superformance MKIII. I live in Germany however I have a place in Miami FL and would initially title/ register the car there and keep it there for the time being. That being said I would like potentially to have the ability to bring the car to Germany. However they have become quite strict with importing and registering Cobras here in Germany and a person familiar with this informed me that it is crucial to have the car titled in the US as a 1965/ 1966 “Ford Cobra” or just “Cobra”. There should be no mention of “Superformance” or replica in the title.

Since I am new to the world of Cobras (I have a number of other cars mainly MB and Porsche) I would very much appreciate any help and advice on how to ensure that the car can be titled accordingly in order to avoid any challenges with respect to registering the car in Germany in the future.

Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles
Charles,

It's not rocket science, go to the Florida DMV web site and read the instructions. Download and fill out the forms specified, take your MSO, along with all receipts to the appropriate office, pay your taxes, and walk out with plates.

Yes, in Florida, it really is that simple.

As for wanting it to read 1965, that will be up to the interpretation of the Florida laws on the books as of today, and not yesterday. Again, yes it is that simple, and you should not even think twice about getting your car on the road.

Bill S.

PS: Just an FYI, try any of the 3rd party companies that advertise online, you risk the German authorities seizing the car at the dock. Yes, really.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-04-2022, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A friend sold his Kirkham a few years ago, to a buyer in Germany. I don't know all the details but apparently, he had to surrender the car to the German government for inspection. They kept it about a year while inspecting and testing it. I guess after all that, a government inspector took the car out for a final test drive and wrecked it, totaling the car. He lost control and went off the road. Last I heard, he was petitioning the government to purchase a new body/chassis and have the running gear switched over. I haven't heard anything about it since.

Larry