28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2021, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Neutral     
Default About to try to title my NY titled Cobra in TX. How ugly will this be?

I bought my Contemporary Cobra when I lived in NY. I titled it at the time of purchase in 2007 in my name. The previous owner had it titled in NY as a "1984 Homebuilt" and I left it that way. It has the NYS yellow sticker on it that has the NY State assigned VIN number. I hold clear NY title in my name as a 1984 Homebuilt now. It was never registered in NY, if that matters, as I immediately tore it apart and it's finally just about done after 14 years.

I know that TX will ask for proof that I paid sales tax at the time of purchase in NY. I don't have that but I did locate a address on line to send a request to NYS DMV for proof of payment. I am still waiting on a response from the fine folks in NYS DMV on that. If they don't answer, I will have to pay sales tax yet again on a car I bought in 2007. How in the world will TX decide on the value of a "1994 Homebuilt" for sales tax purposes?

I'm trying to prepare in advance for how this titling process will go. It's already legally titled in my name in another state. Will I have to go through the whole assembled vehicle inspection routine with a certified mechanic as with a freshly assembled car? Will I have to provide receipts for the major compnents (I don't have any)? Will I get to just title it in TX as is with no hassle as if it's a production 1984 production car?

Any insights any of you TX guys have in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 08-23-2021 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-24-2021, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

OK, this has nothing to do with Texas, but it may offer some insight. ... When I built my Cheetah tribute, the State of Alabama was most interested in me showing that none of the major components came from stolen cars. Their inspection was only about confirming the numbers on the engine and transmission. Based on that they issued a title with a state issued VIN and the only fee was that for the title issue. ... When I took the car to be registered, I had to pay the initial sales tax on it and the local officials had no idea what to use as value. I spoke with the expert at the Alabama Department of Revenue over the phone and described my out of pocket costs for components. He accepted that as a reasonable valuation on a car for which there are virtually no comparisons. My total cost for the initial tag, registration and sales tax was less than $300. .... If NY and Texas operate similarly and you have never registered the car before, you may not have paid sales taxes anywhere yet. So I would expect Texas to accept the title transfer without question and then charge you sales tax based on whatever value you and they can agree on. . . . All this is just my best guess.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-24-2021, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane, 351W bored and stroked to 408
Not Ranked     

Probably depends on where you live in Tx, but since it is titled in another state it may be easier. For me I moved to San Antonio,Tx from NC and my Cobra was titled there so all I had to do since it had already been titled was go to where I had to get it titled ( I think in Tx it was the tax office vs the DMV which is where I was use to going) and fill out the paper work and was able to title it as an antique which eliminated the state inspections and only have to re register it every three years and requires only one license plate.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's the best case scenario I was hoping for. Of course I am in the republik of Harris County and our "Judge" (the local term for County Executive) is a 30 year old imbecile, so everything is harder and more complicated than it needs to be. Any other TX folks have any more input?
Old 08-24-2021, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

According to this online info, you can qualify for antique plates: https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...les/VTR-54.pdf
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-24-2021, 04:31 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I titled my Contemporary in NY I wasn’t looking forward to dealing with the NYS DMV. I was also registering the car for the very first time, having built the car myself. We had a driving school in town that also prepared and went to the DMV to process the paperwork. Their fee was pretty minimal (like $25). They took my paperwork got it done first shot. It was literally the best money I have ever spent. My rational for going to them was they work with DMV all the time, they had a relationship with several of the clerks, they processed registrations / transfers in bulk and they would be much more adept than me.

If you have the opportunity to do something similar in Texas, I would recommend it. Wishing you much success!
Old 08-26-2021, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C - 482FE built by Survival Motorsports, 4 Spd. Toploader, Jag 3.31
Not Ranked     

I am not from Texas but here is some info that might help.

Built my Cobra in NY in 2006 and went thru the special registration
process and got the "yellow" VIN. # sticker from NY and registration
and Title states 2006 Custom.

Moved to Arizona last year and had to have a level II inspection which was really
nothing at all and Arizona accepted the "yellow" VIN sticker # and it got registered as a 1965 special construction.
Did not have to pay any sales tax money, only the registration and plate fee.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

I recently titled and registered my era cobra in travis county texas.

I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it was a breeze; I didn't register it as an antique - my registration lists my car as a 2002 Ford and therefore doesn't qualify as an antique.

A couple of things:
1. What is a "yellow sticker"?
2. If the car is titled in your name, I don't see why that you would have to worry about paying sales tax, i.e. if it's titled, doesn't that mean that sales tax should have been paid already?
3. My cobra has been titled in 3 different states now; not one of those states cared what the prior state called it, I don't think "1984 Homebuilt" will be a problem
4. There was talk of needing to have my car inspected by some ASE Certified Tech; I found that that only applies to new built/never been registered cars. Since my car was already titled in another state, there was no need for any "special" inspection.
5. I think all you need to do it bring it to any inspection station and ask for a "regular" inspection.
6. Bring proof of inspection, previous title, proof of insurance, etc., and I would bet you will be OK.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2021, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post

I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it was a breeze; I didn't register it as an antique - my registration lists my car as a 2002 Ford and therefore doesn't qualify as an antique.

A couple of things:
2. If the car is titled in your name, I don't see why that you would have to worry about paying sales tax, i.e. if it's titled, doesn't that mean that sales tax should have been paid already?
3. My cobra has been titled in 3 different states now; not one of those states cared what the prior state called it, I don't think "1984 Homebuilt" will be a problem
4. There was talk of needing to have my car inspected by some ASE Certified Tech; I found that that only applies to new built/never been registered cars. Since my car was already titled in another state, there was no need for any "special" inspection.
5. I think all you need to do it bring it to any inspection station and ask for a "regular" inspection.
6. Bring proof of inspection, previous title, proof of insurance, etc., and I would bet you will be OK.

Good luck!
BTW, I don't recall that I needed to provide any proof that I paid sales tax previously.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C - 482FE built by Survival Motorsports, 4 Spd. Toploader, Jag 3.31
Not Ranked     

The "yellow" sticker is the assigned VIN # plate NYS attaches to your car.

The 2006 Custom is what NYS called the car even though it replicates
a 1965 model year. If it was a "true" 2006 it would have to be hooked
up to a computer when inspected. Since it replicates a 1965, it has no
hook ups and is exempt from emission testing.

Arizona just calls it a 1965 and that's the end of it and they used the
assigned VIN # plate that NYS attached.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post

A couple of things:
It was built by the previous owner and first titled in New York. New York assigned it a VIN number, and affixed the VIN number to the car via a durable yellow vinyl sticker with the VIN number printed on it. The bad news is that the doofus who did that for the state attached the yellow sticker to the top of the cowl behind the windshield. It's ugly as all getout but not much I can do about it now.

Its a New York State title in my name. I did pay sales tax to New York at the time of titling it in my name when I bought it. Texas (or at least here in the Republik of Harris County) demands that proof be shown that the tax was paid, or you have to pay it again. I wrote to NYS about proof that I paid back in 2007 but they wrote back today saying they have no records. Now I'll have to pay sales tax to Texas yet again. Of course Texas knows I already paid, it's just another income opportunity for them as there's no way that I'm aware of to get a NYS title without paying the sales tax due at the time.
I'm not real concerned with what they call it, as long as it doesn't force emissions testing on it. Some are hung up that their replica be called a 1965 Cobra, or whatever. My car isn't a real 1965 Cobra and never will be so I don't care what the title says it is.
I'm hoping for the same here.
I plan to register it as an antique. 3 years between registrations and no inspections yearly.
I hope so.

Good luck!
I appreciate all the good wishes. Soon we'll see how it goes. I'd feel better about it is this all didn't have to be done with Harris County.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 08-26-2021 at 04:54 PM..
Old 08-26-2021, 05:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
I appreciate all the good wishes. Soon we'll see how it goes. I'd feel better about it is this all didn't have to be done with Harris County.

Just remember to keep it simple, pre-fill out the state paperwork for the basic title swap, hand it in, keep that deer in the headlights look through the whole process. Keep thinking to yourself "less is more", why, because one wrong word out of your mouth could cause some real headaches.

Bill

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-26-2021, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Just remember to keep it simple, pre-fill out the state paperwork for the basic title swap, hand it in, keep that deer in the headlights look through the whole process. Keep thinking to yourself "less is more", why, because one wrong word out of your mouth could cause some real headaches.

Bill
That's the plan, Bill. My plan is to be like Sargeant Schultz - "I know nothing"

I like the way you think
Old 08-26-2021, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine is a 2002 and my inspection place did not do an emissions test in Travis county, Texas. Since yours in an 1984, my guess is no emissions will be necessary.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I lived in Florida I registered my Cobra replica in a neighboring county because it was more convenient for me. No one said a thing. It might be worth a call to a nearby rural county, if there is one.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Tommy. I thought of that, but the Peoples Republik of Harris County (PRHC) has that method of bypassing their craziness shut down too. If you live in the PRHC, you must title and register in a tax office within the PRHC.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Ford
Not Ranked     

I recently purchased a FF MKII which was titled in V.A. and I Titled it in N.J. with no issues at all. Good luck , Ed