Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #2117, blown 4.6
Not Ranked     

Daryl,
First post here. Last July I was exactly in your position, including the 427R.

I got my SB100 completed on the first working day of 2006 just as you plan on first working day of 2007. As others have said, have ALL the paperwork neatly completed and your documentation well organized. Be humble and friendly (at my DMV a group came outside to hear it idle). If they are wrong on something, politely but firmly show them the rules. My DMV was a little confused, and their screwup could cost you a year of TOPs.

If they have not done an SB100 recently, they might not know that they have to start calling Sacramento asap the first morning of the year. I went in the last week of the year and met with the manager and reviewed the game plan that I thought was required to make it happen, asked her if it made sense, etc. That made the "morning of" less of a question mark. They considered it a "win" when the SB100 # came thru.

I was able to get three Temporary Operating Permits -- they carried me thru the 10th day of 2006 so I wouldn't be driving around trying to get the DMV and BAR (both of whom really liked the car and gave me NO hassle)
steps completed.
Good luck.
James
Old 09-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 60 day temp!

I am currently driving my car on a 60 day temp issued by DMV, good thru Oct. I will park in the garage for Nov & Dec. and get in line early Jan 2nd for my SB100 number.

jdog
Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     
Default checkthis one out....

Ok, check this one out!! Here is a good example of a guy and the DMV who cares, likes cars and goes out of his way!!
My car will be ready , end of Sept. I go down to DMV, he comes over, tells the girl and the window, to not take anyone now while we are registering my car. He helps me fill in areas i missed, and then does the following: (some have said this is not right, but he has been doing this for quite sometime, so go figure)
1. looks at my App. for Title or Registration, and Statement of Construction, and receipts for engine, body and chassis, an says, fine!
2. Tells the girl what to put into the computer, it spits out the following: registration form, stating 'incmplete', see above, which states "referred to CHP. Stapled to this is a list of fees......all totalling up to $329.00
3. Along with this is an Application for Assigned Veh. Ident Num Plate..(VIN), signed by him , and me, and needing a CHP to add to it.
4, With all this stuff, is attached receipts for parts, App for Title, State. of Construction, and my Cert of ORigin. The form attached is confirmation of approval of TOP.
Now, I was waiting for the 'heavy fees' for State of Cal..and he says..."no, you already paid those when you bought the car". I say fine and shut up!! He said, here is how it is going to go......You go to SMog REf, they wiil pass you. Go to CHP and they will review receipts and give you a VIN. You are done, untils Jan 2......no need to make appt, here, we have very few of you.......and he has worked at this for a number of years.........and says " just come to window 5 or 6, ask for (**** whom it introduces me to......and says once they get on phone, just be patient, and you should be fine, we have never NOT had one given if they show up on the first day!!
Now, guys.......I know this sounds like BS, but that is exactly to the minute, what happened! I thought it had to be something different, but hey, I asked, he told me what to do. OH AND THE BEST PART....HE GAVE ME A RED 'TOP', WITH A '12' ON IT....WHICH IS GOOD UNTIL THE LAST DAY OF THAT MONTH, WHICH IS DECEMBER!! I do not get it, but he likes us and I hope he is correct!

fred z...........
Old 09-09-2006, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     
Default checkthis one out....

Ok, check this one out!! Here is a good example of a guy and the DMV who cares, likes cars and goes out of his way!!
My car will be ready , end of Sept. I go down to DMV, he comes over, tells the girl and the window, to not take anyone now while we are registering my car. He helps me fill in areas i missed, and then does the following: (some have said this is not right, but he has been doing this for quite sometime, so go figure)
1. looks at my App. for Title or Registration, and Statement of Construction, and receipts for engine, body and chassis, an says, fine!
2. Tells the girl what to put into the computer, it spits out the following: registration form, stating 'incmplete', see above, which states "referred to CHP. Stapled to this is a list of fees......all totalling up to $329.00
3. Along with this is an Application for Assigned Veh. Ident Num Plate..(VIN), signed by him , and me, and needing a CHP to add to it.
4, With all this stuff, is attached receipts for parts, App for Title, State. of Construction, and my Cert of ORigin. The form attached is confirmation of approval of TOP.
Now, I was waiting for the 'heavy fees' for State of Cal..and he says..."no, you already paid those when you bought the car". I say fine and shut up!! He said, here is how it is going to go......You go to SMog REf, they wiil pass you. Go to CHP and they will review receipts and give you a VIN. You are done, untils Jan 2......no need to make appt, here, we have very few of you.......and he has worked at this for a number of years.........and says " just come to window 5 or 6, ask for (**** whom it introduces me to......and says once they get on phone, just be patient, and you should be fine, we have never NOT had one given if they show up on the first day!!
Now, guys.......I know this sounds like BS, but that is exactly to the minute, what happened! I thought it had to be something different, but hey, I asked, he told me what to do. OH AND THE BEST PART....HE GAVE ME A RED 'TOP', WITH A '12' ON IT....WHICH IS GOOD UNTIL THE LAST DAY OF THAT MONTH, WHICH IS DECEMBER!! I do not get it, but he likes us and I hope he is correct!

fred z...........
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sorry, double post.....
Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Just thought I would share my latest for anyone in CA and interested.

I went to the BAR last week. They were very friendly. I of course failed without the SB100 number. I have a Dart block 351. Interestingly the refereee was willing to treat it as a '69 block just as mr morgester (sp?) suggested in his postings. The referee looked up the ford 351, and said '69 was the first year, so that's how he treated my engine. I know other folks have said their BAR office wasnt willing to do this, so I thought I would mention it.

Having failed it should be easy to get the DMV to give me another TOP, and more importantly it should get the Sacramento DMV folks off my back. I've gotten two letters now complaining that my registration is incomplete, and to please send in my passing smog paperwork. This should give their computer an update and they should leave me alone until January, where with a little luck I'll get an SB100 and be happy.

Anyway good luck to all of us here in CA.....

Daryl
Old 10-03-2006, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, at least the BAR ref was willing to do the right thing and tested your 351 on the year it was first used. So, what failed? Missing PCV, Smog Pump?

If you were using a 289 and he tested you based on the year it was first used, you would have been home free with just a PCV.

Anyway, my car is almost finished. I have a pro in Vegas building it for me. ALL the receipts have my name on it because I did purchase them all with a credit card, especially the MCO from FFR...all major parts were bought separately and assembled into the car, proving I didn't buy a complete car. As far as I know, in CA. SPCN is supposed to be a car built for private use, and not built by a licensed Manufacturer or Remanufacturer. My builder is neither. So, in my case, I bought all the parts and paid someone else to put the car together for me, for private use. So, do you guys think I will run into problems come registration time?
My car will be ready next month, so, I plan to go to DMV in November and start the registration process so I can have a TOP to drive on while waiting to do SB100 in January. I plan to complete the CHP thing before January, then hope to get the SB100, then go to BAR, and maybe Brake and Light Inspction, then finally back to DMV for plates.
What do you guys think? Is this a sound plan.

Thanks guys!!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Hi FFRCobra,

What failed.... First my carb is not on the "green dot" list. Basically they have a big list of carbs and if yours doesnt show up then you have problems. Second I failed the sniffer test miserably (too much cam). Third, I have a PVC, but he said I would also need the heat riser off the exhaust manifold going back into the intake (I'm sure there is a name for this crap but I don't recall what it is).

So basically I'm waiting for SB100 in January.

You'll be fine with SPCNS based on what you've said. Just be sure you have a bill for labor and a bill for parts. And as long as everything didnt come from the same company you should be OK. Your plan sounds solid, although I'm not too sure how the weather will be in November for you to enjoy your TOP

Daryl
Old 10-04-2006, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Daryl,

Thanks for the info on why your 351 failed the BAR test. Well, SB100 will take care of all of that, won't it?

I know, I know.....upcoming months, the weather is not going to be ideal for any topless driving. But just knowing I have a Cobra in the garage will be joy enough despite of the weather. But hey, we live in Cali, we only have a few bad weather months...errrrrrrrrr weeks?

PJ
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey guys.

I just came back from DMV. I went to register my Cobra...

The person I drew when my number got called did not know anything about registering a special construction vehicle. She spent a few minutes reading some online manual, looks at all my DMV forms which I neatly filled out and readily presented, and started making entries into her computer. She then wanted to know if I wanted it to go in as a 1965 model year (I know I know, I could have said Yes and probably ended up not doing a smog but I wanted to do this right and not have to worry about bad consequences), so I told her NO NO, it has to go in as a 2006 SPCN.
She then consulted with her supervisor, she tells her I was right. Her supervisor then tells me to make sure I am in line early on January 2nd to get SB100. I said FOR SURE.
The clerk did not want to see any of my receipts, I had invoices for kit, engine, tranny, misc parts, and even labor for paying someone to install my drivetrain. She just looked at the $$ amount that I declared on the Statement of Construction and based the fees on that. I was expecting way more but she only wanted a few hundreds. I know it should be more but I didn't want to confuse her more so I paid and left it at that for now. I do intend to inquire about this possible miscalculation when I return in January. I want to pay all fees, due, tax, etc. I don't want to give Sacramento any reason to suspect anything where there should be none.
Anyway, she gave me a TOP til the end of the year and stapled ALL my paperwork PLUS reg124 to take to CHP for VIN assignment.

I intend to complete the CHP thing, then go back to DMV on Jan 2, and apply for SB100, then do the BAR, etc.

Yeah baby! For now, I can legally drive my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Rock on! Don't forget to get another TOP on Jan 2nd...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Expires tomorrow!

Great, how cool!

I know the feeling!

And mine expires tomorrow!

Oh well, only 2 months until Jan. & I can do that standing on my head!

My fees & taxes came to $900 and some change!

Good luck
jdog
P.S. I'll see you in line at DMV in Jan!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah! I was so happy walking out of DMV with my big red sticker!

About the miscalculated fees....the clerk did not even want to see my receipts and I declared on the Statement of Construction almost $30,000 worth of invoice and receipts! She just told me to hang on to the invoice and receipts and clip it together with all the forms that she handed back to me. Well, like i said, I fully intend to inquire about this possible mistake on my next DMV visit. Meanwhile, I'll make sure to keep money aside cos sooner or later, they'll want the money.

Tell me if this is right...all the forms that I filled out, she handed them all back to me, even the MCO, and Reg124 was stapled to all of them to take to CHP.

JDOG, in your temp registration (one that looks like a regular registration paper), what does it say under MAKE? Mine says Factory Five.
and under YEAR is blank. under YEAR FIRST SOLD is 2006. Is that right?

I don't see anywhere that says SPCN....does that classification come later when it is all done? Randy, your take on this?

The clerk simply didn't know how to deal with SPCN registration and I fear she had inputted my case incorrectly that will mess up my process later.

Am I just worrying too much?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow Don't look back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65

Am I just worrying too much?
You've got the temp thru Jan. Just keep driving and don't look back!

Yes, I got all of my original documents back. But they took copies of all of my reciepts.

Make: Shelby. Year will be determined by BAR, and 2006 is correct for first year. Nothing says SPCN.

jdog
P.S. I have never looked foreward to going to DMV, as much as I do this comming Jan.!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks Jdog.

Me too. Can't wait til January. The DMV supervisor where I went to told me not to worry about the SB100. She said, her DMV has never failed is getting through to Sacramento and getting sequence number for everyone who was there early on the first business day of the new year.
How did you get away with having SHELBY as your Make....well, unless of course yours is a continuation Shelby Cobra....ohhhhhhhhhh that is niiiiiiiiiiceeeeeeeeee.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

dont be to happy about it .I was there in the cold jan.2nd at 7:30 , 2 in line ,they didn't start calling untill 9:00 , they called for 2.5 hours taking breaks every 15 min.I got number 367 at 12:00 or so. IT WAS HE// not knowing if i'd get one or not. after spending all that money ,and time building,just watching lazy people determin my fate ,it was allmost to much.But ,I was SMILING when i walked out. now it is november and i still don't have my plates or pink slip and all the papers are in the mail somewhere between truckee and sacramento. when will it end. Good luck.!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

don't be too happy? Why not? I haven't heard of anyone in this Forum or at FFR not getting a number when they lined up early....well, except for one cos he was given the wrong information. Given the law of percentage, I stand a good chance of getting one and keep on being happy, too.

Every applicant pays the price of waiting and waiting whenever you visit DMV....a small price to pay for a lifetime of smog excemption, don't you think?BTW, ALL the DMVs had a hard time getting through to Sacramento on the first business day of 2006 because the lines to Sacto was down for 2 hours. That's why you too had to sit for 2 hours before the dice started rolling. It was like that everywhere, at least that was the claim by countless SPCN owners who experienced it. The bottom line and most important thing was, you GOT a number.
Sorry to hear about the slowness in getting your title and plates. But I thought you get the plates once you complete the entire process (CHP, BAR, B&L) and return all the paperwork to DMV, at that time, they hand you the plates and the title will follow in the mail? At least, with the people I know, their experience had been that they got their plates on their final visit to DMV.

"there is always more than one way to skin a cat"
Old 10-31-2006, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89 427 KC alum
Not Ranked     

What is the process for an sb-100 when bringing in an out of state turn key car (used)? Thanks for any advise.
Bill
Old 10-31-2006, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

I too thought they would give me the plates on my last trip but no. they sent the papers in for some reason,I dont know what is going on with the dmv.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Billy Boy, what is your car titled as? If it is titled as a 1965, I would check the Title History on it first before making a trip to Ca DMV. If the car u bought had been titled through Titles Unlimited any time in its life, don't even try it.
Otherwise, you just go to DMV on January 2nd if you want to go through the SB100 process. Otherwise, you can go any time and go through the conventional route. Either way, you will have to register your car as SPCN...many forms and Bill of Sale.

PMFranke, your situation is strange indeed. It almost sounds like you got red-flagged for some reason.