28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2006, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

So the VIN tag is not riveted, just a sticker that can peel off? That doesn't sound too secure.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Slojo, technically yes, but no, I can drive the car while I wait for the letter and re-register. She said: "...you'll have to call your insurance to change the VIN and go to your favorite DMV office to change your sticker..." Just to make sure, I called my NYPD buddy and had him run my plate and old vin again, it was clean; "just don't tempt the law", he said.

Jim, thanks. I have to call Bill O. on Monday and ask where they put the sticker on the car he had there. He was going to ask that they put it on the crossmember in the engine bay. Aah, it's not too bad, really. The least they could have done was make it in silver.

Trueoo7, not riveted but being in the graphic arts, I know it's one of those really permanent adhesive products that would tear easily with the word "void" watermarked which will show if one attempts to pull it. Besides, it's a fed offense to tamper with it, so she said. We were going to put her up the lift (the car, not the lady inspector ) to see if they stamped the number on the frame or anywhere else. The green bottles came quickly soon after we got back to the shop, we forgot all about it. Maybe at Nick's this morning...

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg

Last edited by JCoop; 05-06-2006 at 01:05 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA fia, 400 c.i. W
Not Ranked     

Ray, can you tell us what paper work you needed to present for the inspection, receipts etc.??? Owners of previously regestered cars may not have all of the build receipts available.

Thanks for any insight, Joe

Last edited by ERA-FIA; 05-08-2006 at 07:01 AM..
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe, I came prepared and had a copy of the original invoice from Snakepit, Spec sheets for the 460 and the Tremec, an affidavit from HRE for the motor and the tranny, another affidavit where I listed all the DOT/SAE numbers for lights and bulbs, etc. But when I got there, all they wanted was the appointment letter. They didn't even look at the other papers. Now, I'm not done yet; I have to wait for the approval letter which may ask for those. My case is also a little bit different in that my car had already been previously registered.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray, Thanks...I thought the reason for the inspection was to check the paper work receipts etc. against the car. It seems everyones experience is a bit different.

Thanks again, Joe
Old 05-08-2006, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Joe,
There are (4) separate steps to go through the NYS process...
(1) apply for VIN and go through VIN inspection to get VIN sticker (by closest DMV special group - trailer vehicle to their location)
(2) apply for custom vehicle registration through DMV/Albany (this involves completing paperwork with DOT numbers for lights/tires and other vehicle equipment)
(3) NYS safety inspection at your local inspection station
(4) actual registration of vehicle at your local DMV with above paperwork and sales tax receipts

NY recommends doing the steps in the above order on their paperwork packet for custom vehicles, but you can probably save time by completing steps 1 and 2 at the same time.

hope this helps,
Jim Kellogg
Elmira, NY
Old 05-08-2006, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim, I was curious about pre-regestered cars such as mine and Rays when only a bill-of-sale might be available.

Joe
Old 05-08-2006, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

If the car was previously registered in another state and all that paperwork (MSO, sales receipts, etc.) was given to them to prove proper ownership and/or stolen parts and you received a title from that state will this be sufficient proof of ownership for DMV. If not then what are you supposed to do, how would anybody be able to sell their car out of state.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kellogg
Joe,
There are (4) separate steps to go through the NYS process...
(1) apply for VIN and go through VIN inspection to get VIN sticker (by closest DMV special group - trailer vehicle to their location)
(2) apply for custom vehicle registration through DMV/Albany (this involves completing paperwork with DOT numbers for lights/tires and other vehicle equipment)
(3) NYS safety inspection at your local inspection station
(4) actual registration of vehicle at your local DMV with above paperwork and sales tax receipts

NY recommends doing the steps in the above order on their paperwork packet for custom vehicles, but you can probably save time by completing steps 1 and 2 at the same time.

hope this helps,
Jim Kellogg
Elmira, NY
Update: Jim is absolutely right here. There is no going about it any other way. I called Technical Services to confirm that they had indeed received the fax that the examination station guys said they sent, and they do. When I asked about my VS103 (approval form) however, the man said I was going about it arse backwards. He is going to send me a "kit" but not to worry about the 272-1 as I had already done that; and also told me that there is a mistake on my paper, that my car cannot be registered as a 1966 Custom. It will probably be a 2001 Custom but retain the newly-assigned VIN#. I have to fill out the form that asks for all the equipment information, take 4 pics of the car, etc, and resubmit all that to them before I get that final VS103 that I need to re-register the car. When I told him I had affidavits with all this information that I could send him right away, he said "We need this FORM filled out..."

Figures.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

My car was previously registered in Florida as a 2004 ERA 2 DR. I sent for and filled all the forms in the package from Albany. All I needed was my title proving I owned the car because it was already registered in my name. Now it is registered in New York as a 2004 custom 2 dr. The whole process went very smooth, just do it all correctly. The vin sticker looks like crap but who cares, its legal.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update

After filling out the "form" that Technical Services needed and sending it in, i followed up since I did not hear from them for 3 weeks. The gentleman I spoke to said there was a problem because the inspection agents at the examination site filled out my VIN application paper with the designated description: 1966 Custom (as I requested). This should have stated the year of build; in this case 2001 Custom.
Well, yesterday, (another week gone by) I got a voicemail saying the approval is in the mail and the new designation will be "1999 Custom". Where they got this year, I have no idea. The voicemail also instructed that the insurance card should state exactly this, and the new "NY....." VIN number and take that to the DMV with all the paperwork for re-registration and will now be issued a title.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 06-11-2006, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,
Glad to hear you are "almost" there!!! It should proceed quickly from this point.

I also wanted to see my SPF registered as a "1966" (which was manufactured in 2000), as that is the year stated on the MSO. I asked around with NYS DMV personell, and found that there is NO WAY they would show 1966 on the title. The year (as you found) must be the build year for actually completing the car.

Looks like I saved a couple of weeks by not trying to stick with 1966 :-)

Hope your (and my) experience documented here helps someone here on CC along as they negotiate the NYS "Custom" vehicle registration process,
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim.

Now I wonder what will happen when I take this VS103 approval letter that states 1999 Custom, and the approved VIN application form MV-272-1 that states 1966 Custom to my local DMV office. I bet it will take 2 more supervisors to tackle this one.

Sigh...

Hope you're having fun at the new house,
Ray

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,
Save yourself a headache and call Albany to see what they say to do with the "wrong" year on the MV-272-1 VIN application form.

I had also written "1966" on my VIN application form, and the DMV inspectors that assigned my VIN simply crossed it out and wrote "2005" in it's place when they performed the VIN inspection. You may be able to do the same.

Having fun at my new country estate - bigger garage and some land... you mean there's a house too??!!? (that explains where my wife is - she must be at the house....)

Jim
SPF #887
John Deere garden tractor (NEW ADDITION!!!)

Last edited by Jim Kellogg; 06-12-2006 at 10:48 AM..
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, there's a Weber48IDA FS in the parts forum that you can put on that John Deere

I called and the guys in Albany, Tom and Mark, said that if there was a problem at DMV, to give them the number and they'll straighten it out. I'm just waiting for my new insurance cards...

This is really a hot topic as at least 3 guys at Captree last Sunday approached me "quietly" to ask about the NY VIN sticker and what they should do, as they've been flagged, etc. Another owner who has contacts at DMV said he was told at least 80 cars are flagged. They don't necessarily contact the owners; they will find out about it at renewal or if they attempt a transaction at the DMV office. The new owner of my previous SB SPF (registered as '65 Ford) had his inspection come due, had it done, got the sticker but the receipt said "improper registration, see your DMV agent..." on it. He doesn't want to do anything until renewal in 2008 comes around as he has a vintage plate and all. Not a big deal at all, just to ease the anxiety for a lot of NY Cobra owners a bit. The NY Field Investigations Office and the Technical Services Bureau personnel were very helpful and regular working guys. So were the gals at the examination facility in Babylon.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 06-14-2006, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray, Albany told me that we will all have to meet 1981 emission spec's. Have you gone through that yet, I'm wondering how difficult that will be. They said that will be the minimum standard allowable. I don't think my cam has a chance in h**l.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe,
Here is a link to the NYS form MV-529 detailing all vehicle equipment requirements (including emissions) to properly register a vehicle in NYS.
http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529.pdf

Ray,
Thanks for the tip on "weberizing" my new John Deere! I think I will pass for now :-) I would like to see some IDA webers on the SPF, but the $$$ for that are gone, for now!

Joe, hope this helps,
Jim Kellogg
Old 06-15-2006, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA-FIA
Ray, Albany told me that we will all have to meet 1981 emission spec's. Have you gone through that yet, I'm wondering how difficult that will be. They said that will be the minimum standard allowable. I don't think my cam has a chance in h**l.
Hi Joe,

Quite frankly I don't know how this process would work. I was told the emission standard to be met would be the year of the engine. In my case, approved as a 1966 replacement motor, which only requires a PCV valve and a safety inspection, no sniffer test. BUT, when I go to a NYS Inspection Station, the computer would say my VIN# is for a 1999 Custom. I know 1999 requires an OBD II plug. I got my most recent inspection on May 15 using the old VIN and registration ('66) with no flags or hassle as I had not gotten the VS103 and it was due. Maybe next time, when the inspector scans the barcode, it would have some sort of code that would say exempt. Know what? I think I'll bring the car over to my friend's shop and scan the new regi sticker and see what happens.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 06-15-2006, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't remember how my SPF (2005 NY "Custom") came up on the machine when we inspected it last November.... Definately didn't come up requiring the normal OBD connect, but a 2005 normally won't come up requiring the (upstate) NY inspection OBD connection until 2007 (current regs state current and previous calender year are exempt from the tester in upstate NY).

I would have to think that the "Custom" VIN will override the emissions test connection on the inspection equipment, as most are built with earlier engines (my engine is a 1969). Being a 1969 "engine", I was told "that" was the emission standard my "2005 Custom" vehicle is held to.

I would check mine at our shop machine, but it won't come up "requiring" the potential OBD connection until January 2007.

Let us know how yours comes out, Ray!

Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Upstate vs Downstate NYS emissions

For everyone concerned,
There may be "2" different standards for emissions in NYS for "Custom" vehicles, depending upon where you live (hopefully not).

There ARE different standards for regular vehicles in NY, depending upon whether you live downstate/metro (High-Enhanced Emssion Test) or upstate (Low-Enhanced/1995 and older or OBDII/1996 and newer).

Probably worth a phone call to the DMV to see how the "Custom" vehicles fit into this. Common sense says that they should be exempt from the newer emissions testing (ie:OBDII) and should be held to the emissions level of the year of the installed engine. The new VIN assigned by the DMV for the "Custom" vehicle registration "should" refer back to the year of the engine (it is required as part of the VIN process, and should be on file as part of the VIN)..

Anyone want to call the DMV for an answer???
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY