17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     
Question CT.Reg Question

Any know if anyone sells "dot" marked rectangle rear and front round lenses.
Thx
Steve
Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Steve, might want to check with Finish Line:

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/cata...df66539db3f55c
Old 08-29-2006, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1694, Royal Blue w/Vintage White Stripes, Roush 402R motor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJK2
Any know if anyone sells "dot" marked rectangle rear and front round lenses.
Thx
Steve
Dear Steve:

Unfortunately I made the same inquiry to Enzo at Cobra Accessories. He has the round ones (Catalouge Light #692) which has the SAE stamp on them. This qualifies the same as DOT stamped. He does not have the rectangle ones, like on my SPF, that would fit that lens. I also checked with Bill at Snake Pit Auto in Freeport, Long Island (a local SPF dealer) to see if he knew where to get those lenses. He said that unfortuantely Lucas, the maker of those retangle lenses, didn't bother to pay the price of like $50 to have them SAE or DOT approved because it's wasn't required overseas where they are made and original cars did not require that. Sorry bro. But let us know if you DO find them. Best of luck.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, another option, while time consuming, might be to contact the other Cobra manufacturers and determine if they have what you are looking for

On the most current ( 12-04 ) R-157 Composite Standard, DOT approval is not specified for front and rear parking/ turn/ brake lights. Or, changes were made and the DMV Composite Standard was not updated on their web site. DOT approval is required for headlights, Page 4 Lighting Equipment:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf
Old 08-30-2006, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Don,
Thanks as thats the way i read it also, but im hearing stories of folks being hassled. Im prepping to "hopefully' be as painless as possible.....
Old 08-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did not, but might want to consider bringing the R-157 documemt with you to the Inspection for reference purposes. However, there is the risk of appearing to be challenging the Inspectors knowledge of the regulations, might be a con.

Last edited by Don; 08-30-2006 at 10:27 AM..
Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1694, Royal Blue w/Vintage White Stripes, Roush 402R motor
Not Ranked     

Steve:

As just about any Cobra owner in registered CT will attest, the seemingly better your car is, the more they will continue to look for minor items (such as lens covers) as a reason to fail you. Here's my thoughts...

1. Go as is and hope you pass
2. Get yourself failed on a "fixable" issue so they overlook the lens covers (just kidding)
3. Replace the front round lenses with the SAE approved ones that Enzo has. If you still fail, at least you can attest you made a "good faith effort" to replace what you could.

I do agree with Don on the paperwork though. Definitely HAVE the copy of the R-157 with you but only use it if you know or believe you're going to fail anyway. At that point, why not confront them on the regulations that, oh by the way, they wrote.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: