14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

I asked for a 1965 date. The BAR rep dated it as a 1960.

Terry Brown SPF #930 427W 419 RWHP 48 IDA Webers

"Remember, your car will not be more valuable after Track Day than it is the day before the event" - Eric W. instructional presentation on Track Day safety, 05/15/2008 WSCB
Old 02-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I would hate to misquote him, but I think Randy Rosenberg told me that if you have a 390 in your Cobra that there's a possibility that they would use the first year that the 390 was offered in a production vehicle. Just guessing, but maybe 1961-ish.

jdog, thanks once again!

Got the Bug, I got your email finally. Thank you, good info.

RodKnock
Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

Avoid the hassle and buy MY SB100 CA Registered LAE)
Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

Finally got my plates and pink slip after only 14 months of pain. This is after 20 hours in the DmV getting top's and other things ,$130.00 for light and brake check,2 times to the CHP for vin. number check (get the form with 3 copies) 12 or more calls to Ms.Kimberly Smith ( if you know her I'm very sorry).driving to sacramento for the BAR (which was the easy part) and over $2000.00 in taxes and fee's. i think i'd rather pay to be burned at the stake than go threw this ever again.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP241 427 S/C 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     

RODKNOCK......more Kirkhams in California than any other state, Utah a distant 2nd place. per David Kirkham............Ron
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Hi Rodknock,

On both the BAR and the DMV for TOPs it seems to vary wildly. My experience at the BAR was very pleasant. I tried to pass based on year of engine block. I've got a Roush 427R based on a Dart Windsor block, which is of course new. The referee looked up the 351 and said we could try it as a '69 which was the first year in his books for a 351. I failed miserably, but it was worth it, and it leads in to your TOP question.

My experience with the TOP was that I got 30 days almost every time, I think I got 60 once. But if you can demonstrate that you are trying to make progress I found the DMV workers willing to give me extra TOPs. In order to follow the steps outlined by the DMV for a SPCNS you would have to do something like this.

1) Go to DMV, submit application for title, statement of construction, etc, pay fees. At this point you will get a TOP, and some paperwork to take to the CHP to have a VIN number installed.

2) Make your appointment with the CHP. Here in Gilroy they can only do Mondays, and their schedule was like 4 weeks out, so guess what, my TOP didnt make it far enough to my appointment. Back to DMV, explained the scheduling with the CHP and got another TOP.

3) Brake and Lamp inspection. There are actually not that many shops that are still able to do these, I had to call about 10 gas stations before I found one locally that could do it for me. This one isnt much of a time waster so may be hard to justify an extra TOP.

4) Make an appointment with the BAR referee, their schedule was very backed up, it was almost 60 days out when I first called.

5) Go to BAR referee and fail smog

This was also important for me because I got a nasty gram in the mail from the DMV telling me in no uncertain terms that I needed to complete my registration. By getting some of these steps done I assume it put some data in the computer as I never got a second reminder letter about the registration.

I hope this helps some, good luck with your search. Also where in CA are you? If you are in the bay area come to either the east bay or west bay breakfast one saturday and chat with some of the guys that have completed the process recently.

Daryl
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Thanks Daryl! Great info for anyone preparing to negotiate the SB 100 labyrinth in 2008.

Doug
Old 02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, thank you Daryl. I'll save it for my file. I'm located on the SF Peninsula. Baji's is on my list of places to go very soon.

pmfranke, what an ordeal, but I think if I purchase a car from out of state that has been titled already, I'll have "less" hassle. Now, the untitled but finished car may present bigger "issues."

Jim, thank you for the offer, but I like the direction I'm going right now. Although, directions change and I'm keeping my options open.

Ron, where are they? At present, all advertised Kirkhams for sale are located back East and all of them are very nice in their own individual way. It's nice to have choices.

RodKnock
Old 02-25-2007, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I brought an out of state titled cobra to CA. After I paid the taxes at the DMV, went to the CHP and was told they would have issue a new VIN but wouldn't or couldn't until I had a SB100 number. I was back at the DMV and was told by the supervisor that I was going to have to park my car off the street until I got my SB #. No TOP for me. I was pissed and got a refund on the money paid to the state. I could not get a new pink slip or new title in my name either. I had to wait 4 months till January, a couple quick bonzai runs every month with no plates. I got my SB#, paid the taxes and reg fee, CHP was no problem, Bar was no problem (used 1966 for my 390fe), didn't need a brake and light inspection, not sure why not. BTW the car had a legit 1997 title from the state of Nevada. It was a hassle but now that it's over it's worth it. Good Luck, John
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've gotten a few conflicting responses, but many experienced CC members have told me that unless there's some sort of fraud involved with the title, the issuance of TOP to get around to the CHP and smog referee was probable. At least I'm hopeful of this since I am considering purchasing an out of state car, but your story is my worry.

RodKnock
Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Red face DMV adventure!

You could take that to 3 different DMV's & get 3 different results!

DMV it's not just a job, it's an adventure!

jdog
Old 02-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Check out this "TOP" adventure: http://www.ffcobra.com/ubb/ultimateb.../t/000142.html
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Speaking only for myself, the most important factor will be getting the right car for me regardless of the registration hassle. Now I'm saying this from my podium without the benefit of actually having gone through any battles or a war. However, if the out of state car is my choice, no decisions yet, as long as I can ultimately get it registered come January 2008, I think I could be OK with that. Since I have small kids, my vintage cars can sit for a while anyway, but ultimate registration is mandatory.

RodKnock
Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old thread being revived.

There's a CC member selling KMP210, which is a polished Kirkham roller built back in 2003. Would I need the MCO or MSO to be in my name to register it in CA? If so, is that something the Kirkhams would do? Or would CA DMV just take the old MSO to the original owner, along with my future receipts for engine, tranny and assembly and regisiter it? Thank you.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

DMV takes the original MSO no matter who it's built for. As long as you have a bill of sale from the owner named on the MSO that states when, how much, and the serial no of the roller/chassis, that's all you need plus engine,trans and assembly receipts. They will ask you for all of that to register once it has been assembled and ready for inspection. They won't even talk to you about starting paperwork until you have the car completed and they can inspect it right there. I was lucky, in that Texas, the state where it was first registered, recognized the Shelby chassis number which is stamped on the frame and on a riveted placque, so I don't have to go to the CHP for a VIN. It will be registered as CSX 4758.

As you know, I bought a completed car and it was a breeze at the DMV to get the 60 day TOP. SB 100 next stop on Jan 2. I left you a PM with my home phone number to answer your other questions you asked me. I found it was most important to get the color(s), features, equipment and other nuances that were most important to me that all add up when buying a previously assembled car. And a lot of questions. Best wishes.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Note BAR will be changing the process shortly. Outside the SB100 process they will no longer test to the year of the block. They will instead test to the year of build. This means that you must meet 2007 standards if you do not have SB100.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

Robert,
That is certainly a dramatic switch, bit not surprising. All that year of the block, year of the family, year first built was certainly confusing to everybody. When do you expect that BAR will enact the test to the year of the build standard? Will there be a formal anouncement?
Frank
Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I cover they "whys" in the thread titled "Clarification on California emission standards" that can be found in the Registration Forum. As to the "when" I don't know. BAR is waiting on DMV. Until DMV list the year of build on the registration BAR will follow the old rules.

Folks are looking at this issue, my unofficial take on it is that it will limit kit cars / hot rods to 500 per year. Unless you are running an engine taken from a 2006 vehicle, I can't see how you would pass an emission test based on the year of the build with the current configurations that are being run by this group.

The question that is being is asked is did the legislature intend to limit kit cars and hot rods to just 500 per year? If not, changes need to be made.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even if the new law isn't enacted in 2008, eventually, if the law is passed, it will force all kit cars that are registered by year of block to get an SB100 number. Will there ever be an increase to the 500 number? Has anyone on that 1st business day of the new year been turned away due to all 500 numbers being gone?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes. They have exhausted the supply of 500 SB100 numbers on the first day each of the last couple of years.

This is why it is important to have the SB100 already on the car when buying used.