14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Wink Mo Money! Mo Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgester
Note BAR will be changing the process shortly. Outside the SB100 process they will no longer test to the year of the block. They will instead test to the year of build. This means that you must meet 2007 standards if you do not have SB100.
Well, my car just went up in value!

OOPS! I better not broadcast that or DMV will expect me to add a few thousand dollars to the 'worth' of my Cobra (for tax purposes) just because they have issued it an SB100 #!

This will sure make it more of a 'Dogfight' every Jan 2nd! The meak & the mild need not apply!

What a state!

jdog
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock
Even if the new law isn't enacted in 2008, eventually, if the law is passed, it will force all kit cars that are registered by year of block to get an SB100 number. Will there ever be an increase to the 500 number? Has anyone on that 1st business day of the new year been turned away due to all 500 numbers being gone?
BAR has stated that they are grandfathering in vehicles that were passed via year of block testing. These rules will apply to future registrations.

Getting on my soapbox again, if you are running a vehicle with an illegal registration, fix it now, get it tested as to the year of the block why you can, and make sure your reg docs reflect the correct build date.

Once the new rules are in effect and your registration is pulled you will be in a very bad position in trying to get your car registered.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

My take is that any change to the rules that the BAR uses will be affect going forward only. Those who are "smog compliant" by "year of block" will be "grandfather'd".

The issue with the DMV is that if they give us a "model year" of "year of build", then how will a Cobra replica (or '32 Ford replica) pass "Brake'n Lamp"? Currently the model year used is 0000, so Cobra replicas don't need third brake lights, reverse lights, etc... If the model year is changed to "year of build", then all of the current "brake'n lamp" requirements will apply. And, I don't think this is what our Legislature had in mind either...

Suffice to say, this issue is getting bigger and deeper before it get solved, which is why legislation has stalled, and why Morgester can't give a date as to when the BAR/DMV will make the discussed changes.

We need to pressure SEMA to help enact title law in CA, similar to those in other states. This, IMHO, is the only solution.

YMMV,
Randy...

looks like Mogester and I were typing at the same time

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 09-07-2007 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

From what I've heard from several people that bringing in a used Cobra that was titled in another state isn't an insurmountable process. Certainly, having an existing SB100 is a big plus, but I would be ignoring many, many beautiful builds across the country that, with a little work and some freshly brewed coffee come that cold day come January, could be registered in good ole CA. BTW, I'm trying to find the "right for me" Kirkham or 'glass CSX. Thanks.