Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     
Default Florida: Is there a legal way?

Still working on my build but registration is a nagging concern. Does Florida have a legal way to register?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

As a matter of fact, I just started looking into the process. I heard that you have to take the vehicle to an inspection station. Make sure you have all receipts especially for engine, transmission, Body, chassis rearend. One thing I would like to know is ?

1) These cars do not have reverse lights, Is this a concern?
2) What will they be inspecting, I am sure it will be headlights, turn signal,horn brake light.

Hopefully some locals will chime in soon.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     
Default Florida Title

priobe,
I just spoke with my local tag office. They are faxing over the procedure. It is Procedure Document: TL-41.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found this link
http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intrane...lpak/82040.pdf

I am not sure if this is what they will fax you.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is what they will fax you

http://casey.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intran...R/TL/TL-41.pdf

Hopefully, we will get some input to help us with what to expect with the registration process.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Did you car come with a serial number and certificate of origin?

There is another form TL-48 for a "replica automobile" that exempts you from issues such as backup lights ect. For some reason you can not pull up this form on line. If you ask a tag office to print it for you they will. The State allows replicas outfitted with whatever the original car came with. In fact I was told by the DMV supervisor at the tag office in Tampa that they did not even need to see the car? I bought a "roller" that came with a Certificate of Origin.

The instruction page special instructions have two substinative requirements; 1.) "replica vehicles are complete new vehicles manufactured to look like old vehicles.
2.) The manufacturer of the vehicle must have a manufacturers license.

The key seems to be the "manufacturers certificate of origin".

Keep in mind I have not actually registered mine yet, just did the homework.

Another interesting thing I found out is that if you are able to register your car as a replica you can also run a florida license plate from the same year as your car. I have a Florida plate from 1965 which I intend to run on my car. I had it on a 65 mustang using this same procedure. You can buy the old plates at flea markets. Pick one in excellent shape as the State may reject one in less than new condition. The form you need is RS-25. You must supply the plate and it has to be mailed off to Tallahassee for "inspection" by the state. Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

I was also told an inspection is not needed if you have an MCO.....

From the Florida DMV site................

Registering and titling your custom-built car doesn't have to be as complicated as the car construction itself. In fact, it's much like registering any other car, with just a few extra steps along the way.

These steps apply to vehicles constructed from body kits that are attached to existing car frames, new frames provided by manufacturers, or homemade frames. Submit all forms and documentation to your local county tax collector's office to register and title your custom car.

Application for Kit Mounted on a Car Frame Previously Titled in FloridaYou'll need:

Florida title from original car frame, which must be in your name or at least with a completed application to transfer the title into your name.
The body kit MCO, assigned to you. A bill of sale is acceptable if the manufacturer didn't issue an MCO.
Completed Application for Certificate of Title.
Notarized affidavit, stating that the vehicle is able to be operated on public roads. The statement must also list the repairs made to the vehicle.
Bills of sale or receipts for all parts and equipment that weren't part of the original frame or the body kit. All documents must include name, address, and signature of seller. Components may include front end, rear end, doors, engine, transmission, frame, cowl assembly, and airbag, or any parts of those elements.
Applicable sales tax (or fill out the statement on sales tax on the application form).
Florida license plate number for the vehicle, or an affidavit of non-use.
Applicable title fees. (Use the License Plate Rate Chart to calculate all specific charges.
Application for Kit Mounted on a Car Frame Previously Titled in Another State
You'll need:

Out-of-state title or proof of ownership from the original car frame, which must be in your name or at least with a completed application to transfer the ownership into your name.
All documentation listed in items two through eight, above.
Application for Kit Mounted on a Homemade Frame
You'll need:

Notarized affidavit detailing the frame's construction. (This can be submitted with the statement of repairs, as listed in item four, above.)
All documentation listed in items two through eight, above.
Application for Kit Mounted on a New Frame Provided by the Manufacturer
You'll need:

Manufacturer's bill of sale or invoice proving that the frame was included with the body kit.
All documentation listed in items 2 through 8, above.
Title Language
When you receive your title and registration, you'll notice a few things that will be noted differently than for your regular motor vehicle:

The year (YR) of the vehicle will be the year the car was built.
The make will be the make shown on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) or the manufacturer's bill of sale.
The identification number will be the VIN given on the MCO or bill of sale.
The words "kit car" will be typed on the title and will carry that brand as long as the vehicle exists.
All kit cars are titled as used vehicles.

################################################## ################################################## ####
"Another interesting thing I found out is that if you are able to register your car as a replica you can also run a florida license plate from the same year as your car."

Not sure this is correct.....I would like to hear where this came from????
################################################## ################################################## ####

As far as I know (speaking as a 30 + year LEO) the same year plate thing only applies to a "RESTORED" vehicle...............researching now......check back for more.

Last edited by EarlsflyinCobra; 02-26-2007 at 12:18 PM..
Old 02-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Not Ranked     
Default Here is the scoop on old plates...DOES NOT apply to Replicas!!!

RS-25
SUBJECT:
HORSELESS CARRIAGE (ANCIENT), ANTIQUE (REGULAR & PERMANENT)
AND AUTHENTICATED LICENSE PLATES
DESCRIPTION AND USE:
THIS PROCEDURE PROVIDES INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ISSUANCE OF
HORSELESS CARRIAGE (ANCIENT), ANTIQUE AND AUTHENTICATED LICENSE PLATES.
I. PROVISIONS OF LAW:
Section 320.086, Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of Horseless Carriage (Ancient),
antique (regular) and historical authenticated license plates. Upon payment of the license tax for
an ancient motor vehicle prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a) or (3)(e), the customer may be
issued one of these special license plates.
Section 320.086(3), Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of a permanent Horseless
Carriage (Ancient) or Antique (permanent) license plate to the owner of ancient, or antique firefighting
apparatus or other historical motor vehicle or former military vehicle.
Section 320.086(4), Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of a historical license plate to the
owner of an ancient or antique motor vehicle.
Section 320.086(5), Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of an antique license plate
for former military vehicles that are used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display
and are exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia, if
the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. The
license plate and registration certificate must be carried within the vehicle and available
for inspection by any law enforcement officer.
Section 320.086(6), Florida Statutes, states: "Former military vehicle" means a vehicle,
including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was
manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its
military design and markings accurately.
II. DEFINITIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION:
Vehicles classified as ancient or antique may be issued regular, special, specialty or personalized
license plates (See Exhibit A).
A. A Horseless Carriage (Ancient) motor vehicle is defined as an automobile, truck, or
motorcycle manufactured in 1945 or earlier. The license plate is permanent and valid for
use without renewal as long as the vehicle is owned by the same owner/registrant. The
class code for a horseless carriage (ancient) motor vehicle is 82.
Revision(s) to this procedure: Added an antique license plate may be issued to certain former
military vehicles 30 years old or older. Removed note on page 2.
Updated exhibit C.
DIVISION DIRECTOR EFFECTIVE DATE
07/01/05
REVISION DATE
06/03/05
PAGE #
RS-25-01
HSMV 80001 (Rev. 5/92)
STATE OF FLORIDA
Florida Motor Vehicles
PROCEDURE #
RS-25
SUBJECT:
HORSELESS CARRIAGE (ANCIENT), ANTIQUE (REGULAR &
PERMANENT) AND AUTHENTICATED LICENSE PLATES
NOTE: Motor vehicles with a model year of 1946-60, currently registered as a Horseless
Carriage prior to July 1, 1996, shall be "grandfathered in" and maintain a permanent
license plate, until the vehicle is transferred to a new owner. Upon transfer to a new
owner the vehicle will be registered as an antique and renewed annually.
B. An Antique (regular) motor vehicle is defined as an automobile, truck or motorcycle
manufactured after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of
manufacture, equipped with an engine of the age of 30 years or more after the date of
manufacture. The license plate must be renewed annually. The class code for an
Antique (regular) motor vehicle is 95 (automobiles old class code 95, trucks old class
code 91).
NOTE: Motor Vehicles with a model year of 1976 or earlier currently registered with class
code 95 or 91 shall be "Grandfathered in" and maintain their current license plate
(until their regular 5-year replacement). These vehicles are eligible for an Antique
(regular) license plate, until the vehicle is transferred to a new owner. Upon transfer
of the title to a new owner, the vehicle will no longer qualify for an Antique
(regular) license plate.
C. Authenticated license plates may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or
earlier. The license plate must be furnished by the owner of the vehicle and presented
to the Division of Motor Vehicles (Direct Mail and Title Correction Section) for
authentication. The license plate must be the same year as the model year of the car or
truck. The license plate will be approved for issuance by the department as an
authenticated license plate if the license plate has not been refurbished in any way and
is still legible for law enforcement purposes.
D. Motorcycles manufactured after 1946 and of the age of 30 years or more will be issued
a regular series, antique (regular) motorcycle or authenticated license plate. There are
no provisions for a reduced registration fee for motorcycles in this category.
E. Horseless Carriage or Antique (permanent) license plates may be issued to any ancient
or antique firefighting apparatus or other historical motor vehicle or former military
vehicle. The license plates shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as
long as the vehicle is owned by the same owner/registrant.
III. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR HORSELESS CARRIAGE (ANCIENT) AND
ANTIQUE (PERMANENT) LICENSE PLATES:
Application for a Horseless Carriage (Ancient) license plate must be submitted to: Direct Mail
and Title Correction Section, Bureau of Titles and Registration, Neil Kirkman Building, MS #72,
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0620.
Application for an antique (permanent) license plate may be submitted to any local tax
collector's office or license plate agency.
A. An accurately completed form HSMV 83045, Application for Registration of a Street
Rod, Horseless Carriage or Antique (Permanent) Rev. 07/02 or later, is required for the
issuance of the Horseless Carriage (Ancient) or Antique (Permanent) license plate.
PAGE #
RS-25-02
REVISION DATE
06/03/05
HSMV 80001 (Rev. 5/92)
STATE OF FLORIDA
Florida Motor Vehicles
PROCEDURE #
RS-25
SUBJECT:
HORSELESS CARRIAGE (ANCIENT), ANTIQUE (REGULAR &
PERMANENT) AND AUTHENTICATED LICENSE PLATES
NOTE: This form is not used when requesting an Antique (unless it is a permanent antique) or
Authenticated license plates.
B. FEES:
1. Submit tax fees shown for class code 82 from the Tax Due and Credit Manual,
trust fund fees from the Class Code/Fee Chart, $2.50 Service fee, $10 License
Plate fee, if applying by mail, refer to RS-01. This is a permanent license
plate. The $100 Initial Registration fee is not required.
NOTE: When NOT requesting a Horseless Carriage license plate, use the appropriate class code,
not class code 82.
2. Submit tax fees shown for class code 95 (automobiles) and class code 91
(trucks) from the Tax Due and Credit Manual, trust fund fees from the Class
Code/Fee Chart, $2.50 Service fee, (add $.50, if applying through a county
branch office) $10 license plate fee, $1 Decal on Demand Fee. If applying by
mail, refer to RS-01. Specialty license plates may be issued with class code
95 or 91 and the appropriate annual use fees. Regular personalized license
plates and personalized specialty plates may be issued with the appropriate
annual use fees. This license plate is renewed annually. The $100 Initial
Registration fee is not required.
NOTE: An antique (regular or permanent) license plate may be purchased in the tax collector's
office (see Exhibit B for instructions on processing permanent antique license plates).
3. Submit tax fees shown for class code 95 (automobiles) and class code 91
(trucks) from the Tax Due and Credit Manual, trust fund fees from the Class
Code/Fee Chart, $10 personalized fee, $2 process fee, $2.50 Service fee, $1
Decal on Demand fee and $4.00 Authentication fee. The $2 ARF fee is not
required. The $100 Initial Registration fee is required, if the vehicle is less
than 30 years old.
C. The applicant must have a valid Florida Certificate of Title for the qualifying vehicle.
D. PROOF OF INSURANCE:
Proof of Florida insurance indicating personal injury protection (PIP) and property
damage liability (PDL) coverage as required by Florida registration and insurance laws.
The applicant must submit a copy of an insurance card, policy or binder, or form HSMV
83330, Florida Vehicle Insurance Affidavit. If there is no Florida agent, a copy of a
Florida Automobile Identification Card or proof of extended coverage for Florida is
acceptable as long as it indicates PIP and PDL. The 5-digit insurance company code is
required. Refer to DMV Procedure RS-36 for additional information.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A call to Tallahassee confirmed that it is not legally possible to put an older tag, such as the 65 or 66, on a Cobra replica. Sorry to burst your bubble. I wish there was cause I would like to do it also.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlsflyinCobra
A call to Tallahassee confirmed that it is not legally possible to put an older tag, such as the 65 or 66, on a Cobra replica. Sorry to burst your bubble. I wish there was cause I would like to do it also.
Perhaps not, but you can get a Historic Plate.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default I will try and let you know

I am still a month away from registering however stopped in yesterday at the DMV main office in Tampa and a supervisor told me no problem to run the 1965 plate if the car is registered as a replica with form tl-48 not a kit car or assembled from parts? She said the replica registration will state that the car is a replica of a 65 therefore it qualifies. I will try and let you know. Maybe worth a trip to Tampa if it works.

Perhaps it is a matter of interpretation. The lady I spoke to said she would interpret section C. as stating a 1965 cobra was a car built before 1976 therefore a car registered as a "replica" is the same. Another twist is the fact that I showed her the 1965 florida plate I have that was previously registered to a 65 mustang under this same program. She told me register the car and since the plate had been previously authenticated and registered I could step to the desk at the local tag office and walk out with a new registration. Lets see if she still works there when I get around to taking care of this.

PS. Earlsflyincobra, I think you are correct as to the intent of the law, but it never hurts to ask a public servant to push the envelope.

Last edited by Murphy; 02-27-2007 at 07:38 AM..
Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cashburn, not in Florida....no historic plates....Antique plates and it has to be an older vehicle, rebuilt to qualify. Checking into the TL-48 now.

Got a copy of TL-48 faxed to me....pays to know people.....it only refers to the title of the vehicle and not the license plate of the vehicle.

Cashburn, re-read RS-25 and see one reference to a historical plate;

Section 320.086, Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of Horseless Carriage (Ancient),
antique (regular) and historical authenticated license plates.

But then later it says;

Authenticated license plates may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or
earlier. The license plate must be furnished by the owner of the vehicle

Last edited by EarlsflyinCobra; 02-27-2007 at 09:21 AM..
Old 02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is the one, below, that I guess could be argued.....are they saying the replica itself had to be manufactured before 1975 or the vehicle it is replicating had to be manufactured before 1975. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM>>>

C. Authenticated license plates may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or
earlier. The license plate must be furnished by the owner of the vehicle and presented
to the Division of Motor Vehicles (Direct Mail and Title Correction Section) for
authentication. The license plate must be the same year as the model year of the car or
truck. The license plate will be approved for issuance by the department as an
authenticated license plate if the license plate has not been refurbished in any way and
is still legible for law enforcement purposes.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 1965 Florida plate old thread

Should have posted here, could not find this old thread. Yes I just registered my 1965 Florida Plate on my car.