CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Problem

Bill S.
Do like Iran, Shahhh

Cwilson
Yeah but, the caviat with a SHELBY kit car (Continuation Car is the kinder way of saying it and now it's Tribute Car) is that it should be 1965 reg.
RESALE VALUE and the Puffy Chest thing.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Steve,

What I posted above is sound advice as perhaps a chain of potential misdeeds being posted to a public forum is not in "your" best interest, especially when you do not know who might be reading it. Your thread, your choice.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bill

Your making a movie out of a commercial.
The majority CSX 4000 Cars are titled in the year of the motor and according to the MSO issued by Shelby American/Automobiles/whatever as 1965 SHELBY COBRA COMPONENT CARS. It's no secret as they have produced enough of them.
The one in question was singled out for whatever reason.
Even the guy in Virginia said he can register by the year of the car it replicates. That can be an XYZ COBRA so, who cares?
CSX 4027 was at a show in Virginia next to a Classic Roadsters $18,000 garbage can that was registered as a 1965.
So where's the foul?
People reading this thread that work for DMV mafia?
Most states appear to have their laws set up for replica's.
There are certainly enough of them.
I am told that there are over 2000 replicas sold and delivered every month in the US and the number keeps rising. There are known manufacturers with websites and TV shows.

MISDEEDS?
Your kidding me right?
Who are you talkin to?
I don't see ESQ after your name..........Perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang
Steve,

What I posted above is sound advice as perhaps a chain of potential misdeeds being posted to a public forum is not in "your" best interest, especially when you do not know who might be reading it. Your thread, your choice.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"

Last edited by CSX 4027; 07-24-2007 at 07:29 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here's one for the history books.
I built CSX 4027 and got it titled and registered in Florida with classic plates and a 1965 title. I kept it that way for a year. Then I transferred it to my New York address and registered it there under the classic rules with a 1965 Worlds Fair plate. In 2001, I sold the car to a guy in Virginia. He registered it with a 1965 Virgina Titlle. He kept it for a couple of years then sold it to another guy in Virginia. So now it went from Virginia to Virginia. He initially got a 1965 title.
But wait, there's more.
He gets a call last year from motor vehicle that they have to inspect his car because apparently Shelby Las Vegas has alerted nationwide motor vehicles to look out for bogus kit cars that have the Shelby name. They go to inspect all the documents and state that it is a shelby but, he must surrender his title for a 1997 Shelby title. The owner flies Ken Eber from SAAC to meet with motor vehicle to have them understand the car better but the still won't give hime back the 1965 title that even other non Shelby kit cars have in Virginia.
So a car that was born with a 65 Florida title then transferred to a 65 New York Title then transferred to a 65 Virginia title and then again to a 65 Virginia title is now titled by Virginia as a 97.
Who screwed up what?
Steve;

Nothing personal here, I'm just going to act like I'm with the DMV in Virginia or any state for that matter and came across the paper work on 4027........giving another point of view.....
Your in/from NY, built a "component car" in 1997 , then got a title/registration from the great state of Florida as a 1965???? then a year later had in transferred to your NY address??? and then in 2001 sold it to a guy in Virginia,who then sold it to another guy in Virginia, well, if that guy walks into "my" DMV office and I'm a good state employee, I would certainly question ALL OF THE ABOVE.......a Florida title/registration for a car built by a guy in NY would certainly raise red flags, do you remember the "Titles Unlimited" fiasco????????

Every state has different rules/regs regarding kit/component cars and they DO NOT have to honor another states rules/regs regarding the same, especially when the whole deal smells a little,o-k , a lot fishy!!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand the Virginia DMV stance on the matter, 4027 in actually a 1997 auto, the year it was manufactered/built, not a 1965 auto, it did however get by a number of years and now it's been caught, so now someone has to pay the piper!!!!!!!!!!! looks like the present owner!!!!!!!!!

Again, nothing personal here, just looking at the situation from the other side of the fence.....BTW: care to share with us your reason for the Florida title/registration vs. one from New York?????

David
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

Sometimes Ernie has a way of elucidating a point. I never thought of this reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
So lets say your replica is stolen in NY, an all points bulletin is broadcast.

"Be on the lookout for a Silver 2007 Cobra. Mustang, I guess, uh, SPCN? Oh wait, says here street rod?" Yeah, that makes a lot of sense when the police have no clue what the heck there looking for! Good luck recovering your vehicle.
Every time I order parts for a Cobra, they always try and sell me Mustang parts.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Model year 1965!

Kris, Ernie's right. That's the same thing Ca DMV told me about CSX4795. It needs to be registered as the closest vehicle it resembles. They don't want LEO looking for a 2007 Mustang instead of my Cobra!

I don't think very many 2007 Mustang parts will fit on my car!

My registration says: 1965 Cobra 2007 SPCN.

jdog
P.S. Long Live the SB100 program!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Using them $10 dollar words around here again eh? Had to look that one up...

e·lu·ci·dateplay_w("E0097100")(-ls-dt)
v. e·lu·ci·dat·ed, e·lu·ci·dat·ing, e·lu·ci·dates
v.tr. To make clear or plain, especially by explanation; clarify.

v.intr. To give an explanation that serves to clarify. See Synonyms at explain.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     
Default When registered desription does not match physical description

My car was built in England where when a kit cat is produced from a donor vehicle the kit car takes on the title of the donor vehicle.
As my car used a 1974 Daimler Sovereign as the donor the car was registered as a re bodied Daimler Sovereign.
The car was imported into Australia in 1992 and is registered as a 1974 Jaguar Coupe. I have tried to have the description changed but Vic Roads won't change it.
So if my car gets stolen the cops will be looking for a Jaguar not a Shelby Cobra replica.
Cheers,
Bryan
VK3KDN

Old 07-24-2007, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

It's all paperwork.
If not for incompletely thought out smog law stuff, you'd never have had to try to make it a '65 Cobra.
SAAC defines the difference as 'original' Shelby Cobra vs. 'authentic' Shelby Cobra; not 'real' vs. 'fake' vs 'tribute', vs 'replica' vs, 'tribute' or 'phuking anything'. Why can't we just adhere to that terminology?
There are no angels in this history, not CS as was mentioned above, nor government bureaucracy for creating need for all the deception. Why can't we just enjoy what we've got, whether it is a $20,000 Factory 5 or a $2,000,000 CSX 3000. They all can exceed the speed limit in first gear.

BTW- my wife has been bugging me to find out something for her website.
Does anyone know where to get the language to put on a website to prevent right click copying of the images or text information as in this Cobra website-
http://www.289cobra.com/c&sc0201e.html? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

I am actually with Bill on this one and I have a CSX Cobra. It is not a 65 Cobra! It is a Shelby Cobra built in 2004 at least in my case. I can not believe Eber would ever support this.

Let say the guy gets tired of the Cobra and decides to sell it. So it goes to auction or on Ebay as a 1965 Cobra. NOT!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ..........

David,
This is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD
Steve;

David

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"

Last edited by CSX 4027; 07-25-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

This thread is a perfect example of why there cannot be one answer to the title question. Different states, different needs, different laws, different owner personal tastes.

I do not believe Steve was trying to harp on the issue of what year to use, but rather he was pointing out the fact that one state could force a major title change like this over other state's previous settings.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sal

Precise Conclusion

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe done to replicate CSX-2299 at the '64 LeMans
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4027
.....CSX 4027 was at a show in Virginia next to a Classic Roadsters $18,000 garbage ......
That's not very friendly!!

http://www.rehobothproperties.com/coupe.htm
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Just lost my respect for Steve.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 07-25-2007 at 08:38 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default 1965 Cobra

I wonder if all of those who have registered their replicas as "1965 Cobra" have paid the excise tax and sales tax based on the value of a 1965 Cobra.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack fia
I wonder if all of those who have registered their replicas as "1965 Cobra" have paid the excise tax and sales tax based on the value of a 1965 Cobra.

Hey, not a bad idea. Maybe in the future, Shelby can provide "authentic continuation series sales receipts" typed on carbon paper with a Royal typewriter and dated "October 1, 1965". Why not?

Wish I'd thought of that before I paid more in sales tax than the total price of an original car in '65. Dang!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4039
Hey, not a bad idea. Maybe in the future, Shelby can provide "authentic continuation series sales receipts" typed on carbon paper with a Royal typewriter and dated "October 1, 1965". Why not?

Wish I'd thought of that before I paid more in sales tax than the total price of an original car in '65. Dang!
I think ack fia was thinking the other way around....As in pay taxes on current value.... Maybe pay 40k in taxes due to the value.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

"Mr. Morgan Sir" must love this. First he turns the comunnity against itself, then he rides this horse to a slot in the new Hillary administration
Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK I see where your going with this. You gotta a 65 Cobra? Great, step up to the plate and pay the 7.5% due the State on todays value. About $500,000 give or take 50 grand. Works out to about $40,000 in tax all right. Whoa, maybe I don't want that '65 title after all.