21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default PA registration questions

Ok.. I was bored so I decided to start looking into the registration process I will have the pleasure to undergo...

I've heard people say that wipers and defroster are mandatory items. Reading PA Code 175.220 says absolutely nothing about defroster. this is what i read on the 2 subjects...

Quote:
"(2) Check the windshield and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) A windshield is less than 7 inches in vertical height on a street rod.

(ii) A windshield is less than 12 inches in vertical height, or the vertical height is less than what was originally designed, on a reconstructed or specially constructed vehicle.

(iii) The windshields and side windows or openings do not allow the driver minimum outward horizontal vision capability of 90° from each side of vertical plane passing through fore and aft centerline of vehicle.

(iv) The range of vision is interrupted by window framing exceeding 2 inches in width and windshield door post support areas exceeding 4 inches in width.

(v) Obstructions except windshield wiper components of more than 2 inches upward into horizontally projected vision area of the windshield is found."
It just says there can be obstructions over 2" EXCEPT wipers... doesn't say they need to be there.

Then

Quote:
(b) Internal inspection. An internal inspection shall be performed as follows:

(1) Check the mirrors and reject if the mirrors for the operator are insufficient to view front and both sides and rear of vehicle for distance not less than 200 feet.

(2) Check the unconventional operation location and reject if all the major controls and switches are not conveniently located for use by the driver while in an unconventional operating position.
Nothing about defroster at all. Is this just extremely vague? Is there a better guidance?

Thanks
Josh
Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 434, Paxton blown
Not Ranked     

I believe the PA DMV website, under Specially Constructed Vehicles, has the criteria for the initial inspection. As of Jan 1, 2007 the process changed......only certain approved inspectors can do the initial inspection.

I suspect that the initial inspection process may have become more rigorous.

A buddy of mine was recently rejected by an inspector, near Pittsburgh, for not having defrosters.........he doesn't have a top or side curtains but that is okay.............he still needs defrosters.

Good luck
Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm... that's dumb! i went back and looked at the Code and it's last update was March 1999. So I'm sure they've become more strict!

I was also reading that if you buy something from salvage you must have either a copy of the title WITH YOUR NAME ON IT or a proof of salvage title. Do all salvage yards have proof of salvage? I planned to source my block from salvage.

Josh
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 460
Not Ranked     

Yes I was! No defrosters, no inspection. I mounted a 12 volt hair dryer under the dash with duct work an he passed it. No suction cup units on top of the dash. Total deal cost less than 30 bucks. works better than any body elses unit I've seen. Takes a heavy fuse though. Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

^^ I'll probably try to do something similar. I don't want to spend $275 plus my time installing it for something I most likely will not ever use!

Anyone know about wipers? I plan to put them on regardless, but just in case.

Any other major hurdles that I need to make sure I do??? Pre registration stuff? I can only read the black and white, can't see the "between the lines" crap!

Maybe I'll register the car in Oklahoma? I own a house there I can claim residence! :P I know it's alot easier there. But then I'd have to deal with the hassles of living in PA and registering annually in OK.

Are there a bunch of cobra owners in the PITT area? I am considering moving to that area when I get back. There's a better job market there for IT related fields, but I'm not sure where the "good nieghborhoods" are. I have 2 Mastiffs so I need like 1/2 acre minimum for them to run!

Thanks for the info guys
Old 08-19-2007, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes wipers too. I'm on my last leg of a long journey to register 100 percent legal in Pa. My title should be here any day. Very long story. If its not rejected, I'll update with the procedure. Nobody, and I mean nobody knows the translation of the new rules. Bottom line is still pictures to the state for final approval. I'll post as soon as I here anything. Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 434, Paxton blown
Not Ranked     

Ummm, how long have I heard this story? hehe

Did I mention I saw what looked like a 4 wheel drive Cobra south of Pgh?

Lots of nice areas around Pittsburgh. It is also reasonably affordable compared to many places..............but then they get sun.
Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ya, I've looked at a few houses. Well.. I didn't, my wife did. She looked at a nice house in McKeesport, but the people had sealed the garage up and made it into another room. That was a BIG no sale for me!!! But most of the houses I look at that I actually like are in the Penn Hills area. I'd love to live in Pittsburgh. I grew up In Erie and have been a huge Steelers fan my whole life. I got lower level 50yd line tickets for me, my wife, and my grandparents for the Baltimore mondy night game on the 5th. 2 days after i get back in the country on vacation!

So... What areas would you recommend I look? I need a big yard and 2 car minimum.

So, where's the pics of this 4x4 cobra?! haha
Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 302
Not Ranked     

i dont have defrosters and had no problem registering in early 2005. I'm near Exton, PA.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I said I would update. Got title and plates this week. 5 weeks after submiting all appropriate paperwork from a certified specially constructed vehicle inspector and document veiwer. He did the inspection and checked all my receipts and took the pictures. There are finished pics in my gallery. This is exactly as it passed. No side pipe covers, just bumperettes, and yes defrosters. Find the inspection place that does specially constructed vehicles, and they should do most of the work for you. There is a list of locations on Penndot web site. Mike

Last edited by gman; 08-23-2007 at 07:38 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike! Good info!

Have any of you used a block bought from somebody other than an engine builder or such? I want to buy a 408 shortblock from a private party but I'm not sure how that would work. WIll Bill of sale be enough coverage or does it HAVE to have a certificate of salvage? Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: