LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock
I was aware the AG's office does not float and pass bills, and it was wishful thinking, but I thought maybe Mr. Morgester might know of anything circulating around the halls that might increase the limit.
Mr. Mogerster has posted here in the past when new bills are drafted/presented. I don't believe that he has influence that we would like him to have or wished that he had. I get the sense that he is feeding us this information, so that we can, as a group, can pressure our representatives to act (in our favor).

Cal: AB 619 Vehicle Registration Amnesty

Honestly, I appreciate him posting on our forum, answering questions, and putting up with the "CA Bashing". He's got a job to do (like many of us) which is to meet the goals and objectives set by his management.

And he's the only government employee I've ever seen post on Club Cobra, and given the highly sensitive nature of this topic of CA Titling, I appreciate his presence here even more.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #848 351W/396
Not Ranked     

Quote:
JW-you still don't get it.
I get it! You registered your car through TU "illegally" when youn lived in CA. When you moved to AZ the CA DMV sent you a love letter asking for your illegal tiltle to be returned to them.

That very act by CA DMV removed their potential liability from you selling your car to some poor fool as a 1965 Ford Cobra.

Get it!

BTW: I am surprised they did not include a bill of unpaid sales tax along with the love letter.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow Restitution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWorthing848

BTW: I am surprised they did not include a bill of unpaid sales tax along with the love letter.
Those he can pay off while pressing license plates in prison, at $.30 per hour!

jdog
P.S. He'll also get his sentence reduced by a day, for each day he works!

Last edited by jdog; 11-04-2007 at 09:34 AM..
Old 11-04-2007, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Amazing how much of the CA bashing comes from people that don't even live in the state.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If anyone remembers, recently a similar problem regarding emissions testing for composite cars (Cobras and street rod replicas) in CT. was addressed in this forum, brought to the attention of a prominant CT. representative, and with her help and communication of interested parties through Club Cobra forums, legislation was adopted to waive emissions requirements for any Kit car registered in the state of CT as of 7/1/07. IT CAN BE DONE! It just takes lots of hard work and COMMUNICATION within the hobby.
These threads are still somewhat active and can be read by all for reference.

Last edited by ZOERA-SC7XX; 11-04-2007 at 03:38 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

That's it.

If you don't live in California...get off this phuking thread now. No if, ands or butts.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Whoa now! Much of this thread deals with CA's requirement for emisions testing, as well as CA not recognizing titled cars from 49 other states. I think this should not exclude others with something to say regarding these issues.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

You don't vote in California.

If someone is moving to California in the near future and has a question about what the law is here, fine. Otherwise, comments from third world states (the other 49) are irrelevant. Tired of the pissing matches and incorrect statements (not directed to you, BTW).

I realize you may not agree with it, but end of discussion...so that this thread in this particular reference forum can actually be beneficial to those that live here or will be using its laws in the near future.

Last edited by Jamo; 11-04-2007 at 05:38 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Now...one more time for everyone else: This is the Registration Forum. It was created by Brent as a reference source for folks seeking information. It is not a debating forum.

Last edited by Jamo; 11-04-2007 at 05:36 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 351W to 393 Twisted Wedge Heads, Holley double pumper
Not Ranked     
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog
Bx1, do you remember last Sat when I said that Morgester was after your car? And that you should get in line in Jan for an SB100 #?

This is what I was talking about!

Lay low until Jan & then GET ONE OF THOSE NUMBERS!

jdog
P.S. How's that Techron working?

Yes, I remember... I intend to get inline Jan. 2, 2008....
Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang
John,

I think you missed the point several threads ago on this subject. Some state REQUIRE the owner to title it as the year and model it replicates. This is not fraud when the issuing state or county jurisdication states it as a matter of law. The problem starts when another state voids that legally issued title (which then really becomes a Federal offense for tampering with a VIN and title chain) and attempts to rewrite the laws and the title chain for it's own politically motivated purposes.

Bill S.

There seems to be some confusion regarding bringing in a specially constructed vehicle that has been “legally titled” in another state.

Vehicle Code § 4304. Effect of foreign certificates of title

Upon application for registration of a vehicle previously registered outside this State, the department shall grant full faith and credit to the currently valid certificate of title describing the vehicle, the ownership thereof, and any liens thereon, issued by the state in which the vehicle was last registered, except that the laws of the state shall provide for the notation upon the certificate of title of any and all liens and encumbrances other than those dependent upon possession.

By statute California is required to honor the previously issued title if it was legally issued. The question is does that mean California also has to honor the issued “year of manufacture” for emission testing purposes? I have asked DMV this question and they “will get back to me.”

I have seen DMV in the past require legally titled out-of-state vehicles that are kit cars pass emission testing based on the SPCN rules. In short you can call it anything you want but it still has to pass emissions test under the SPCN rules.

Obviously there is an argument that in granting “full faith and credit” to the description of the vehicle would include they year of manufacture (1965), which in turn would mean that the vehicle is smog exempt. Unique loop hole that only lawyers could appreciate.

My recommendation, for what it is worth, is full disclosure. If DMV is aware that your 2007 kit car was legally registered pursuant to state law as a 1965 Ford, how DMV chooses to handle it is up to DMV. At some point I am sure we will have an answer.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Excellent direct question, and a helpful direct answer...that's what the Registration Forum is for.

Thank you both.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Morgester-
Alas! You have gotten to the issue which I have been bringing up over the last few year(s?). That is the rub, as they say.

I have my own thoughts on what the correct answer is, but I'm sure you already know what they are so I won't bore you (again) with them.

Good on you for sticking around and checking it out.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

A couple of months agao, I purchased an out-of-state Superformance Cobra titled as "1965", and registered it in California before I had found this site and before I knew of the SB100 situation.

My car actually has two different VIN's: the original one that came with the car (riveted to a cross member) and the one that the other state attached to it, right next to the original.

When I went to DMV to register the car, there was some confusion as to which VIN should be used. Finally, a DMV supervisor came out, looked at the VIN plates and made the decision to use the VIN assigned by the other state (not the original) for California registration/title purposes. He said the rule was to accept the VIN attached by the other state.

I don't know if this situation relates in any way to California DMV giving "full faith and credit" to the model year noted on the title issued by the other state or not, but thought I would post it for comment.

In any event, I don't plan on being the test case for this, and so will take Mr. Morgester's advice and be on line on January 2nd (sigh).
Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am curious, did DMV keep the year for emission testing (were you smog exempt)?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

They didn't require a smog test, and my California registration and title note that it is a 1965 model year.

Is that what you are asking?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hawaii issue's their own STATE Vin, as I understand Arizona does also. In my case, Hawaii, they used the manufacturers assigned vin number, "ERA154". NOTE: The car formerly had a CALIF. vin all ready assigned as well! 6 characters are far short of the expected 17 character number/letter combo normally used. No smog laws in Hawaii.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Vanoochka....interesting, to say the least. Probably not a bad idea to grab some coffee and donuts and get up early on January 2 like you're planning.

Slick...thanks. Please remember to post that on the Hawaii Registration Thread.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jamo, I think the key here is the car formerly had a Calif vin, changed by Hawaii. While I don't live in Calif, it's a huge market should I decide to sell or even move. It's important to understand how Calif/out of state titles/vins work in that regard for many of us out of state.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

OK...you're right given that you're selling it and nobody in Tahiti is biting.

Just trying to keep it on track.