14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone been DENIED an SB100 for a Superformance?

Hello Cobramaniacs -

I'm trying to put my butt in a Superformance GT40 here in California, and guys on other forums I frequent keep posting ominous things like, "A Superformance roller is NOT a kit car, read the law..." and "Superformance is on the DMV's radar, so watch out..."

So I read the law. Carefully. As near as I can make out, the SB100 law is set up SPECIFICALLY to cater to and accomodate businesses like Superformance, as long as they do not sell or install the drivetrain. It would appear that Superformance and their 3rd party installers are in compliance with both the letter AND the spirit of the SB100 law, and that if one does not fudge the paperwork in order to pay a cheaper fee, then the SB100 process is no problem.

Obviously, the guys at Hillbank / Superformance and the install shop look at me strangely when I mention SB100 horror stories... since they have been doing this successfully (and legally) for six years or so... They have no interest or desire in evading the law, and clearly are anxious to make sure their customers are in total compliance.

The guys on other forums trying to scare me away from Superformance don't actually own SB100 cars themselves (I don't think so anyway...), and can't actually refer me to anyone who has tried and failed, so...

Can anyone on here say that they've been DENIED an SB100 number on a Superformance roller that was assembled for them? Anyone?

If not comfortable posting, feel free to PM me with details...
06 Lotus Elise
05 Chevy SSR
Superformance fan
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Superformance, the car, and some dealers, were at the forefront of Calif fraud investigation some years ago. SPF and other replicas/kit cars were in fact being illegally titled, many through "Titles Unlimited". Cars were confiscated, people were aressted and some went to jail. Some SPF cars were 'black listed' in Calif and CANNOT be registered there ever, not because of the car itself, because of the fraud as it concerns the car.

No problem getting SB100 on a new SPF, built according to Calif law, careful consideration should be given to a used one however.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excaliber - Gotcha. Thanks for that tidbit. Anyone else?
06 Lotus Elise
05 Chevy SSR
Superformance fan
Old 11-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Search for SB100 on Club Cobra and you'll find a tidal wave of info. There are only 500 SB100's issued each year and they normally run out of numbers by 10:00 am the first business day of the year. That's it for entire year!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

A new Superformance would be treated just like any other specially SPCSN (Specially Constructed Vehichle) in California. As long as a you go go to a third party installer, you can fill out the appropriate DMV paperwork to start the process.

P.S. Don't listen to the other guys on "Brand X Forum"...there is only one forum....Club Cobra

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 11-23-2007 at 03:03 PM..
Old 11-23-2007, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Got the Bug - Thanks... I pretty much know the deal and procedure with SB100, and I know that being one of the 500 is a turkey shoot, but all I can do is be well prepared and be there early. I was just looking to confirm or deny any problems with Superformance rollers and the DMV.
06 Lotus Elise
05 Chevy SSR
Superformance fan
Old 11-23-2007, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I don't understand the Superformance/SB100 static you are getting. I have a Superformance bought new less than two years ago, followed the CA guidlines for registration and had no problem regestering the car under California's Specialty Constructed Vechiles provisions (SPCNS) and getting my sequence number..

In my opinion the motherload of correct SB100 registration information is Club Cobra. Do a search take some time to read ask questions about what you do not understand after reading it and get registered. No big deal - unless of course you turn it into one by trying to cut corners?

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Hey Charlie,

Welcome to Club Cobra!

The only time I've seen or heard of the DMV denying title to a Specially Constructed Vehicle is when the vehicle was built on a single receipt - like if Hillbank installed the drivetrain for you and sold you the roller, hence delivering the complete vehicle to you on a single receipt. Of course, Hillbank won't do this, 'cuz they know that you will not be able to get a title in CA if they did this. So, as long as you have two or more receipts (roller, engine, tranny, labor, etc...), then the DMV will have no problem considering your GT as an SPCN - once it is considered an SPCN, then you can apply for an SB100 Sequence Number. Of course, you can do all this in one step at the DMV early Jan 2nd - you wrote that you've done your homework there, so no problem. Go for it!

Enjoy your new GT!!!

Regards,
Randy R....
Old 11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh sure Hillbank won't do it NOW ( ), but I thought they were in fact implicated in some of the early problems with SPF's went it all hit the fan? Or, maybe it was some other SPF dealer... By the way the 'fraud' investigation thing is NOT over, it continues to this day. Do it right, don't take a chance.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys -

I never wanted to imply that I was going to try and skate around SB100 somehow, to me, it's a totally fair and awesome deal, and kudos to whatever lobby pulled that one off.

I've already read thousands of posts, printed out sets of instructions from guys who have done it successfully, printed out multiple sets of both blank AND filled-in forms from the DMV's site, read and printed out all relevant sections of the DMV code that I could find, and I will be visiting the DMV to dry-run the paperwork and make sure that Mindy at the counter knows what memo to read, etc. etc. etc.

A - To me, SB100 sounds like a great deal. Smog-free for life? Show me what line I need to stand on for that one!

B - A Superformance GT40 is an awesome and expensive piece, and I can't imagine trying to save a few bucks on registration fees after spending $125k+ on a car. Put it this way: replicas of vintage racing cars is not a game in which to pinch pennies.

Thanks for all your help, guys.... see you on the road!

- CudaCharlie
06 Lotus Elise
05 Chevy SSR
Superformance fan
Old 11-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudacharlie
Thanks guys -

I never wanted to imply that I was going to try and skate around SB100 somehow, to me, it's a totally fair and awesome deal, and kudos to whatever lobby pulled that one off.

- CudaCharlie
It was not a "lobby" It was a State Senator that is a car nut
Old 11-23-2007, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Which State Senator was that? I'm gonna donate to THAT campaign fund, that's for sure!
06 Lotus Elise
05 Chevy SSR
Superformance fan
Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

We should lobby that State Senator to increase the number of SB100's issued...say double the current number .

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Senator Johanson (sp?) retired long ago... The people to pressure is SEMA. They have a model bill ( http://www.semasan.com/images/CustomRods.pdf )which they have been success in lobbying to get passed in other states.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61687
Old 11-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Check out the information on this web site. It could be of some help.
JDOG, does this still look current?
http://www.nckcc.com/referenceinfo.html
Old 11-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Yes, it looks current.

That pretty much covers it accept for the sleepless nights and the nervous twitch you'll have for a while after!

jdog
Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Charlie,

I bought one of those "Black Listed", SPF cars, I prefer to call it an Outlaw, anyway, their is a SB that allows the car to be re titled and registered, the DMV literally squashed the original title and registration which had to be surrendered. It is what I did, and now the car is legally titled and registered under SB 100. The original owner did not have that option after denying the amnesty program that the DMV had, which allowed the original owners to pay tax's and back registration as they should have (some thought they did) from when the cars were originally titled in most cases resurrected from salvage titles of 1965 vehicles (see House of Cobras). Good Reading!

Metalsteed
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You know it was a 'just' a State Senator that sponsored the Hawaii "Cobra Bill" also. But I can tell you from personal experience it only happened because there was a dedicated local Cobra Clan who contacted him first, pushed to get it done, shook a lot of hands, had 'coffee and snack meetings' with movers and shakers in the Government, attended political fund raising events and testified before the House and Senate along the way. When it looked like we were down for the count, we demanded and were granted a personal interview (as a group) with the Governor. She accepted, but said we didn't need to go that far. At the last minute she said she WOULD support the bill after all, a veto had been threatened previously.

"In a world, ONE man, get-r-done..." Well, it's not really like that. "Bills" are decided (over dinner, at the golf course, in a residence) long before they actually come to a vote.

But yeah, it was a State Senator that got the credit when the smoke cleared... And thats cool, we just wanted to drive our cars!

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-23-2007 at 11:41 PM..
Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Vehicle Code § 580. Specially constructed vehicle

A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.

SB100 is designed for any vehicle that fits the above definition. As a practice, DMV denies a "specially constructed vehicle" designation for any vehicle that is assembled by one builder for a customer. They view this as a resale.

To establish private use it is the better practice to use multiple vendors or do the installation your self. A new turn key kit car can never be registered in California because it was built for the purpose of resale.

Once you build your car (not for purpose of resale) after some passage of time you may sell it. The used vehicle is still a "specially constructed vehicle"

So the type of kit (or lack thereof) doesn’t mater. Rather it is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: