Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     
Default CA registration - documentation

Just purchased a nice, used 302 out of a Mustang GT for my ERA 289 FIA.

I have the CA-DMV forms:
Statement of Construction
Application for Title

Will I need a Bill of Sale for the engine? I have price and seller information on the Statement of Construction.

Also, the CA-DMV Bill of Sale is for a car, and there is no place to note that it is "engine only".

Anyone else go through SB-100 with an engine purchased from a private party?

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 03-14-2008, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

DD, For what it's worth...It never came up in my quest for CA registration. If you think about it all kit cars have an engine purchased or aquired from somewhere. I would say you should have a reciept to show so you can verify you didn't steal it but I don't think you will need to present it for getting a title. Maybe someone else can add to this. In my case I had a bill of sale and a signed pink slip for the car I purchased out of state, no reciepts for individual components. You might try contacting the VIN officer at the CHP for info on this.

John
Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't need one for mine. I just put the info on the statement of construction.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

You probably want to have a signed bill of sale for the engine just to keep with all of the other receipts so you can add it up when you are finished with your build . It dosent hurt to have the receipt just in case. Just do a typed up receipt using the engine number as an id and get the seller to sign it.

JMO, Terry
Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

The only thing they MAY do is a quick number check to verify the engine isn't listed as stolen property.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Thanks, guys. I'll probably do a typed up receipt. I do have the seller listed on the Statement of Construction. Both wouldn't hurt.

It's been a long haul---building my Cobra in phases---and I anticipate having a running, drivable Cobra by the end of Summer. May have to wait to paint next Spring. I can hardly wait to fire this thing up and take if for a ride! Been working on my Cobra for a year and a half---limited only by my ability to burn large piles of cash!

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 03-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Doug,

The main thing with a "kit car", is to show proof that you gathered parts from different suppliers. If all the parts come from one supplier, they may question the authenticity of your car as a specially constructed vehicle.

Chris
Old 03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Your DMV will ask you for receipts for the chassis (assume it has the rear end in it), the engine, trans, and an estimate of your time to assemble or a receipt from someone who assembled it for you. Forget all the other miscellaneous parts.

I just went through this, except my car had been previously registered in TX, so they just went for the signed bill of sale. My CHP office confirmed the same thing about the receipts when I went for the VIN assignment. Better to have all those parts mentioned above covered, then only give them what they ask for when first registering.

Be as truthful as possible on "estimates" and pay your legitimate taxes. There are CA AG's watching things around the area and you'll sleep a lot better.