1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-03-2008, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default SB 100 Registration finally complete

Hey Gang,
with all the problems that people have been having with their sb100 registration I thought I would just mention that mine is finally done. The registration process was not without its ups and downs (DMV office not being able to reach Sacramento ...., local brake and light inspection facility jerking me around about a brake line until I had Shelby send me a new one and held it up next to the old one and asked the brake and light people to show me what the problem was... ) but my local DMV office has been very helpful and understanding . The CHP officer made that part a breeze (and even said "of course you can use CSX 4788 as your VIN since it is stamped on the chassis) . The smog inspection could not have gone more smoothly (and I am shocked at how much hydrocarbons a 66 427 side oiler puts out at idle if it is jetted rich and running at too low of an idle speed . I even just ordered personalized plates for my baby. Unfortunately, I did not re-torque the heads and intake until I put over 100 miles on the motor, so I blew a head gasket . Oh well, since my new house has a 1,600 sq foot shop / garage with a 9,000 # lift, it should not take long to fix it once I get the parts. Unfortunately it probably will have to go back to Las Vegas / SAI (again) since the differential is leaking . So for all of those who are still struggling, don't give up, it is so worth it.
John(;-)
Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Good to hear. You go to a Santa Cruz DMV?

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

It's good to hear you are done. The sorting out just never stops ..........

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Congratulations John! I just got my car back and have an appointment at the BAR in San Jose on the 18th. Then back to the DMV to hand over the final docs. On the home stretch and looking forward to getting my plates and not having to deal with driving with a TOP.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

John,

That's great that your car is together and done. What's owning a Cobra or any specialty car without trials and tribulations. Oh yeah, bliss.

Hey I'm still trying to figure out if, who, when and how I'll actually get my new crate engine and tranny into my Kirkham.

I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the journey after my SB100 escapades.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default Closest DMV is Capitola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Good to hear. You go to a Santa Cruz DMV?
The closest DMV office to me is in Capitola. The colsest BAR was at Hartnell College in Salinas.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John,

Congratulations. Now you can start breathing again and enjoy the Cobra. Dealing with the California DMV on any issue can be a terrifying experience at times.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi John,

Congrats ....I have my appointment with the CHP next Thursday to start my run down the SB100 Gamet of pain. I just picked up a new TOP to carry me to the end of June.

TR
Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I called for my BAR appointment the only two choices in the South Bay/Santa Cruz area were Evergreen College in San Jose and Hartnell in Salinas.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Happy to say that my SB 100 journey is finally over.

I visited the Santa Clara DMV today and turned over all of the docs including the BAR report and they handed me my official registration and license plates.

Since I originally paid my fees and received a TOP in June of 2008, I expect that I'll be receiving a renewal notification before my pink slip arrives.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default up and running again :)

Okay, I just replaced both cylinder head gaskets and am in the process of putting the interior back in - no small feat in and of itself. My cobra sounds noisier - which my mentor attributes to me having a little more compression now . The weather is nice, the cobra is almost drivable again... now if I could just get rid of my cold . Conrats to everyone else going through the sb100 process and succeeding .
Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm done with two out of three CHP and Smog referee...I have the sticker on the car right now.

Brake and Light and then back for plates.

TR
Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Down the home stretch Tony! As you know, it's a great feeling when they hand you your plates!

John - Look forward to seeing you rumbling around the streets of Santa Cruz or at one of the BACC breakfasts.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default bacc breakfast

Is the next breakfast sat 5/3? If the weather is good and you are planning on going, maybe we should go up together? I just got the interior back in the car and need to adjust the valves and test drive it.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi John,

Breakfast is in Livermore every Saturday......

http://www.bayareacobraclub.com/

TR
Old 04-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Livermore is brutal for us Santa Cruz guys, since they meet for breakfast at 7:30 am. The South Bay Group also meets in Mt. View at Baji's for Breakfast the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. I'm hoping to make it to breakfast next week.

http://www.bayareacobraclub.com/events.html

Last edited by Got the Bug; 04-25-2008 at 09:33 PM..
Old 11-04-2008, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: bennett
Not Ranked     

I Am About To Try To Get A Sb 100 In Sacramento Area In Jan 09 ,looking For Advice And Any Warnings Ect .what Are The Normal Steps .can The Paperwork Expire If Not Complete By Some Time Line?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boyd - I sent you an email regarding your SB 100 question.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Look at some of my threads as well as many others here on CC. I started the DMV process one year ago, when I bought my car. I got my SB100 certificate on January 2, 2008. I just got my plates and finished the process last Friday. To the best of my knowledge, the certificate does not expire, but if the entire process takes a long time, like mine, then the DMV will send you an "Incomplete Registration Notice." It seems to me, if you just pay your taxes, fees and such, then you can go on indefinitely, but I wouldn't try it.

1. Start the process before January 2nd. Start the registration process and pay your fees and taxes. If you're building a new Cobra, you must have the original MSO from the manufacturer and any receipts for parts and labor, if you have any at this point. Otherwise estimate the build cost fairly. Always disclose that you car is an SPCNS car. Never ever say it's a 1965 Cobra or whatever. At the BAR appointment, much later down the road, you will tell them that you want it tested based on the year the car replicates, not the engine, but otherwise, your car is an SPCNS.
2. Get to the DMV early on January 2nd. Very early. Depending on your DMV, maybe the night before.
3. Go to a DMV in your area that has at least some experience with the process. The more experienced DMV, the better off you are.
4. Make sure your paperwork looks correct before you leave the DMV after every visit.

There's more, but that's the basics for January 2nd. Eventually, you will have to visit the CHP (VIN assignment) and then the BAR for the smog test and smog exempt sticker. Also, the DMV may or may not require a Brake & Light inspection. I got one.
Good luck. I may have forgotten some things, but those are the basics.

Last edited by RodKnock; 11-04-2008 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Correct several misspelling errors.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, 331 roller/stroker
Not Ranked     

My Cobra has a currently valid CA registration, but it is not under SB100.
I intend to start the SB100 paperwork on January 2, 2009.

Is it still recommended to start paperwork before then?
If so, what paperwork should I start?

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: