28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We bought a chassis in April 2007 from a manufacturer in Florida & towed it to CA where we live, the rest we built here. The manufacturer provided us with a "certificate of origin" that includes a VIN on the chassis and describes the car as a 1974 cobra. Is the certificate of origin the same as title and if so would we qualify under the "full faith and credit" statute in CA? Obviously, we're trying to find a way around the SPCN issues.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The certificate of origin is needed in order to get title, but it's not your title. If there's no current legal title from another state, then you must go through the SPCNS process and get the SB100 line come January 2009.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That totally sucks, but I appreciate the response. If there are any loop holes, tips or tricks, I'd love to hear. Thanks everybody!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Uh no. None that can will keep you from being prosocuted it caught.

The original post on this thread is from the CA attorney generals office.
The trick is you own a replica. In california that gets registered as a special construction car. That means it's subject to the smog regs for the year it was built.
To avoid the smog testing/regs you go through the SB100 process to get it exempted. It's not that difficult of a process.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobragrl View Post
That totally sucks, but I appreciate the response. If there are any loop holes, tips or tricks, I'd love to hear. Thanks everybody!

Move to a state where they don't have their head up their azz.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Yea, like WA where you can drive your car a good 8 or 9 weeks a year.
Back atcha Jim
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgester View Post
Where you get in trouble is where you know the vehicle was not built in 1965 but you write that down anyway and we all know there is only one reason to do that – getting around emission testing.
Mr. Morgester,

I'm going through the SB100 process, so this is just an FYI.

I purchased my car from an Arizona dealer, with no idea that there was even such as thing as the SB100. The car was titled in Arizona as a "1965 Ford Cobra". When I went to register it at the CA DMV, I told the clerk who took my tax payment that the car was actually a 1999 Superformance, not a Ford. She specifically told me they would use the model and year designation from the Arizona title. So, she wrote my California title as a "1965 Ford Cobra".

When I went to the visual inspection station during this same visit, there was a lot of confusion because the car has two VINs: one original VIN plate from the SPF dealer, and one Arizona VIN plate. My first set of paperwork from the above-mentioned clerk was written with the original VIN. However, a supervisor finally got involved during the visual inspection and decided to use the Arizona VIN. They then redid the paperwork, changing the VINs.

It was only months later that I found this website and learned about SB100. As mentioned above, I've decided to go through the process this year and only post the above to give you an accurate view into what is going on at the CA DMV field offices.

I knew the car wasn't a 1965 Ford Cobra, and they knew the car wasn't a 1965 Ford Cobra, but I have a California titled "1965 Ford Cobra".
Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobragrl View Post
If there are any loop holes, tips or tricks, I'd love to hear. Thanks everybody!
Yes, get there early on January 2nd, and bring some good coffee for everyone in line, like I did.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Agree with Xlr8or and Rodknock,

Just get in line early at the DMV (like 4 or 5 hours before they open) and have all your paperwork pre-screened and fees paid way before the 2nd. It's pretty painless unless DMV messes up your paperwork like Rodney's. Just a couple of trips more to CHP and BAR. Done.

I sweated bringing an out of state car into California and rode on three TOP's until Jan 2nd rolled around. Just tell the truth and pay your fees fairly and honestly. You'll be treated likewise.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just when I thought it was all starting to make sense you mentioned "pre-inspection." It was my understanding that I only need to do the inspection with CHP after I receive a SB100 number. What sort of pre-inspection do I need & where do I get it??

Also, which DMV's do you recommend to use & which to stay away from?

Thanks again for all the great feedback!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

When you bring in an out of state car, your first encounter will be with the local DMV. Someone will direct you to the side of the building, and will come out with a clipboard and checklist and look for things like VIN, any smog cert stickers or manufacturing info, and they may also do a headlight, turn signal, horn test. If they do, then most likely the CHP won't duplicate that inspection.

The CHP inspection is to determine whether or not they use the manufacturer's or out of state VIN or assign a new CA VIN and affix two permanent plates to your car. A special CHP officer will make that call after he/she has inspected the VIN documentation. That at least is the way mine went. In general, if the car appears to the average eye to be a complete and street worthy automobile, the DMV is usually the only inspection you will get and that is on the initial visit when you get your first of hopefully several TOP's until you can get an SB 100 number on the 2nd. Good luck, you really shouldn't have any issues if you progress through all the steps in sequence.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Can cars already titled in another state be imported to CA and be eligible for SB100? Is SB100 only available to newly built kits?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cars already titled in other states are eligible for the SB-100 number via Bill SB-1578. That was added to make them eligible and the process is the same as described above. Sb-100 is not for a newly built turn key car, but a used or already built one from this or any state can be registered under SB-100.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftDB4 View Post
Can cars already titled in another state be imported to CA and be eligible for SB100? Is SB100 only available to newly built kits?
Yes, if the car was legally registered in the state that the car is being purchased from.

Best bet is to ask the seller how the car is registered and call that State's DMV to confirm that the kit was registered per their requirements for specially constructed vehicles. Next step would be to run it by the CA DMV.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it