Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
If the DMV is already requiring that, why waste money on legislation that says exactly the same thing if I am reading this correctly? I don't see any loop hole in the above statements from your previous post.

Thanks,

Ron
DMV's change in interpretation is recent and legislation will set the issue to rest
Old 10-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Roger,

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know that the DMV change was recent. Now I understand what is going on I think.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Mr. Morgester,

Thank you for your reply and for keeping us informed of what the State is up to. I sincerely mean that.

And I'm sure you are a decent guy, but I have to tell you that your bosses (Boxer, et al) and employer (let's start with Aww-nuld and work our way down from there) all have their collective heads up their own a**** for having good people like you working so hard on such a mundane component of our fiscal budget/process. Your efforts would be better spent in other areas of true need instead of worrying about dotting the i's on vehicle registrations vs. just making sure you collect the right amount of taxes.

-Dean
Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics 428 ci
Not Ranked     

I must be out of the loop. I have a L. A. Exotics that I purchased in 1993 new unfinished.
The car is regestered as spcns. The car gets smog tested every two years, based on the engine 1966 428. The vin is a number that L.A. Exotics applied to the frame as a manufacturer, not from a donor car. Do I need to change my regestration to a sb 100.
I just smogged it and regestered it 3 months ago.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

poysnis,
The only thing an SB100 will get you is you will not have to smog your car. That is it.

Terry
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
poysnis,
The only thing an SB100 will get you is you will not have to smog your car. That is it.

Terry
Agree with Terry. There was a window where SPCNS cars could be smogged according to block (that's no longer the case). I believe your car is registered legally according to the law at that time. You could apply for an SB100, then you wouldn't have to smog it ever again.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics 428 ci
Not Ranked     

Thank you for your replies, car passes smog pretty easily under 1966 rules.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Of course the 1966 smog rules no longer apply. Smog will now go by the year the car was BUILT. Sooner or later this is going to catch up with you when you go for the next smog and under the new rules, fail miserably and then find out your registration is in question, if not fraudulent.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Of course the 1966 smog rules no longer apply. Smog will now go by the year the car was BUILT. Sooner or later this is going to catch up with you when you go for the next smog and under the new rules, fail miserably and then find out your registration is in question, if not fraudulent.
I don't think there's anything wrong with poysnis' registration. The laws changed, but as far as I know the law wasn't retroactive. There was a period of time (not sure of the years) where SPCN and smogging by the block was perfectly acceptable in CA. His title clearly says SPCN...the problem would be if it said 1965 Cobra and it wasn't built in 1965.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Mine is kind of the same way. Titled as 0000SPCN. Was origionaly registered in the late 80's- early 90's. Smog exempt and no SB100 req.

Terry
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by poysnis View Post
I must be out of the loop. I have a L. A. Exotics that I purchased in 1993 new unfinished.
The car is regestered as spcns. The car gets smog tested every two years, based on the engine 1966 428. The vin is a number that L.A. Exotics applied to the frame as a manufacturer, not from a donor car. Do I need to change my regestration to a sb 100.
I just smogged it and regestered it 3 months ago.
Alas you have a number of issues:
L.A. Exotics cannot create a VIN number. A SPCN is required to be "blue tagged." This means that DMV assigns a VIN and the CHP applies it. This is your number one problem and this must be corrected.

In 1993 BAR allowed the year of the engine to be used for smog testing. Technically this was wrong but it appears that BAR may have grandfathered in these cars (I have not seen any documentation to this effect). Technically you should be smoged based of the year the build (you won't pass).

Best way to solve the above issues and avoid testing all together is to get a SB100. I am told there are still a few available this year. First this clears up your VIN issue (this is serious - L.A. Exotics could be charged with a felony) and with SB100 you are outside of smog testing.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

If you were trying to re-register your kit car as an SPCN, amnesty or not, would it be beneficial to go to the CHP for a VIN verification (and probable change) before showing up at the DMV with the SPCN-specific paperwork?

If the CHP decided that you needed a different VIN for your car, what would be the outcome? Would there be an immediate revocation of the present registration or some other actions taken? If so, what would those actions most likely be?

I've been to three DMV's trying to get clarity on this point and a few others, and none of them have been able to provide all the information I need yet. The last one I went to said to wait on doing anything until January 4 2010.

This is not, it appears, your usual straight-forward SPCN registration process (for those of you who are going to tell me to do a search on the SPCN process), and appears to have some nuances of its own. If I could just figure out what they were.....

Also, apparently, I'll need to get some sort of BAR info or approval prior to obtaining a brake and lights check, otherwise the technicians don't know what the brake inspection specifications are?

I've been in communication with Mr. Morgester but I'm still uncertain as to the next move, and the DMV's don't seem to know either (in spite of me telling them about the registration bulletin dealing with the amnesty program).

All SB 100 numbers are gone for this year according to the last DMV I went to a couple of weeks ago.

All help in re CHP VIN inspection process and requirements for the brake and light inspection would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I believe you will need to go to the DMV, start the registration process, in order to get the form that the CHP uses to establish your VIN, whether it's a new or existing VIN. You cannot make a BAR appointment until you have the SB100 certifcate from the DMV. Did the DMV state on their registration paperwork that you needed a B&L inspection? I needed one, but others did not. It varies by DMV.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The local DMV says that since they are out of SB100 numbers for this year, I should come back next year on Jan. 4. Otherwise they seemed to think my paperwork was ok. They gave me the form for the CHP check, and noted that I would need the brakes and lights check (the least of my worries at the moment).

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did they give you one of those Temporary permits so you drive until January?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would locate a SB100-experienced DMV near you and ask that the manager review your paperwork. The paperwork has to have certain items in/on it in order to just get in line for a number on January 4th. Otherwise, I would proceed to make an appointment for your local CHP that does these VIN assignments and get that out of the way. Then once you get your SB100 #, proceed to the BAR appointment. Did they give you the B&L inspection form?

While there wasn't a big rush for numbers last year, and 2010 may be more of the same, but I would want my paperwork to be in perfect order for 1/04/2010. Otherwise, they'll send you to another line, while others are getting their numbers.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No temporary permit yet, and no B&L form.

I'm with RodKnock, I want my paperwork perfect on Jan. 04 so that I can sail through the DMV, get my number, and finish it all off. That is why I'm starting this so early.

Finding that SB100-knowledgeable DMV around here has been difficult. I've been to three and am now trying to set an appointment at a fourth. (So. LA/Orange County area). Very frustrating!

Thx
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
No temporary permit yet, and no B&L form.

I'm with RodKnock, I want my paperwork perfect on Jan. 04 so that I can sail through the DMV, get my number, and finish it all off. That is why I'm starting this so early.

Finding that SB100-knowledgeable DMV around here has been difficult. I've been to three and am now trying to set an appointment at a fourth. (So. LA/Orange County area). Very frustrating!

Thx
Have you talked directly with other Cobra owners that have gone through the process? There has to be an office that knows what they're doing. Demand to talk to a manager. Do not settle for talking to one of the reps at the window you are assigned to. Tell them that you have paid your tax and license fees and you must have a TOP to drive to the CHP. Start making some rumblings that you want your fees refunded until you can get a TOP to drive the car to get it inspected.

As you mentioned, the brake and light inspection is really a non issue at this point and won't impact your ability to get an SB100 sequence number.

There should be some instructions on the top of the docs that the DMV handed you (i.e. CHP visit, brake and light inspection required, etc.). If the docs do not indicate a brake and light inspection is required, then blow it off for now. In most cases, if the B&L isn't documented on the DMV paperwork on the top of the form, they will hand you your tags once the CHP inspection is done and you have visited the BAR (BAR visit can only occur after you have received your SB100 sequence number) without ever doing a B&L.

Also, I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think that the DMV hands you a B&L form. It may come from the garage that does the inspection.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Also, I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think that the DMV hands you a B&L form. It may come from the garage that does the inspection.
The B&L inspection form does come from the B&L inspection shop. On my "Incomplete Application" from the DMV, it stated "Official Brake and Light Adjustment Certificate Issued By A Licensed Inspection Station."

As Doug said, the DMV receipt that you get, when your fees and taxes are paid, should indicate the various speed bumps you need to drive over in order to complete your registration. Besides the "Smog Inspection/Certification Required" you should also get the "Referred to CHP For Inspection."
Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Sledge,

Doug and Rodney are correct...

I suggest that you start a new thread in the So Cal Cobra Club forum, requesting pointers to "SB100 Knowledgeable" DMV offices in your area, and then go from there. I suspect that not many are reading this thread, since it was started about the Amnesty Program.

Good luck,
Randy...