LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SB100 newbie question

Hi guys,

sorry if this has been covered but wasn't obvious to me in reading posts here and the CA DMV site, etc.

Once you complete the kit (in my case planning on an ERA) you do all steps per this DMV page http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm prior to your first visit to the DMV, and then are you in the queue for the 500 SB100 certs that are given out on Feb 2 the next year?

Seems like I must be missing something, you can get a temporary registration in order to drive the car for the various inspections right?

I read a google groups thread on this someone posted but it still wasn't clear to me the sequence to get a VIN and temp reg versus getting one of those 500 certs each year!

thanks....Steve
Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

in January 2008, I registered a fully built 1993 Beck that had been registered in other states in the past. so my steps were slightly different but in many cases, they generally reflect what is required for an SB100 registration:

1). first of all, January 2, 2010 is the next time SB-100 registration permits will be available. there are only 500 issued each year for the entire state, and those are generally gone by noon on January 2nd of each year.

2). you don't necessarily have to have your car completed when you get in line on January 2, 2010.

3). You will need to have all of the DMV documents filled out when you arrive at your local DMV office on January 2, 2010. They are the papers dealing with titling, cost of constructing the car, origin of parts, etc.. The most important document you'll need is the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO). this shows that you purchased a 'kit' car from manufacturer. you'll have to surf this website and the DMV site for ALL the details of documents. If you are unsure what you'll need after researching the DMV site, you might stop by the DMV in December to speak to someone who might be able to answer any outstanding questions you may have regarding your paperwork.

4). get to your local DMV office (or one in your area who knows how to handle SB100 registrations) a few hours before they open on January 2, 2010. You probably won't be the only one in line. Make copies of everything you bring to the DMV (MSO, all completed DMV form, etc). Do not give the DMV any paperwork that you do not retain a copy of because you will most likely not be able to ever get the paperwork back.

5). If your group of SB100 applicants all get through the line in time, you'll be issued a "temporary" SB100 number. Make sure you keep all paperwork the DMV gives you and pay attention that the DMV clerk has correctly filled out all of the registration documents. (You'd be surprised how difficult it is to fix a mistake later in the process). you'll also be expected to pay DMV fees that day so bring your checkbook. You will be issued a temporary operating permit that allows you to drive the vehicle in California, presumably for getting all your vehicle inspections completed (see below). You'r DMV paperwork will include a list of pending items that must be completed prior to finishing the registration process. this paper will list "Brake & Lamp, CHP inspection, and SMOG check".

******** Finish constructing the vehicle and get it insured *************

6). You'll need to get a Brake & Lamp Inspection at a local auto repair shop. This certifies that your headlights, tailights, brights, back up lights, license plate light all work.

7). You'll need to contact your local California Highway Patrol to schedule a VIN inspection/assignment appointment. You'll need to bring your Brake & Lamp inspection form, all of your paperwork from your DMV visit, any photo's or receipts for the vehicle that proves you did not build the car from stolen parts, and your MSO. The CHP will inspect the car, assign a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for it, and physically affix a VIN plate to your vehicle.

8). anywhere from 15 to 90 days after your DMV visit, you will receive an official letter from the DMV that shows your SB100 information. You must retain this paperwork because the SMOG referee will need to see it (see below).

9). after you've been to the CHP and have a VIN, and have received your official DMV letter, contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to schedule your SMOG inspection. Don't call them without your official DMV SB100 letter. They will not talk to you without it, nor will they help track it down if the DMV has not sent it to you.

10). Bring all your paperwork to the location of the SMOG referee. The more you bring, the better chance you have of answering any odd questions they may have when they inspect your car.

11). The SMOG referee will do a smog check and most likely, your call will FAIL. Don't worry because you have an SB100 permit in your hands. in the event the SMOG referee asks you, "would you like the car smogged on the basis of the year of the engine or the year of the body?" your answer should be "the year of the body."

12). After finishing the smog test, and assuming you have all of your paperwork together and have answered any questions they have about the vehicle, the SMOG referee will print ut a label that certifies that your car is SMOG exempt. He/she will ask you where you want to have the label affixed. Pick a place that is protected from heat and water because they label is a simple laser printed tag. I was told by my SMOG referee that they can be replaced, but he said it is a pain to get done and requires a whole new visit to the SMOG referee. The SMOG referee will also issue you paperwork that you must retain.

13). After getting all of your paperwork together (everything from the DMV, CHP, SMOG referee, proof of insurance), take it all down to your local DMV office and you will be issued new license plates.

14). A few weeks later, the DMV will mail you a state-issued title to your car. it will reflect the VIN issued by the CHP, it will show "SPCN" on the title, and will show the year of the vehicle as the year you officially complete registration.

15). Retain 100% of the paperwork you received throughout this process. Should you ever sell the car, the future owner will need it all.

I am sure others can chime in and give you additional pointers. In fact, the experience above represents the SB100 process at it existed in January 2008, and there may have been changes to the process that you may need to be aware of.

Also, you'll have to work with your insurance agency to get your vehicle insured while you are still without a state-issued VIN. Also, after you've finished registration, you'll need to re-contact your insurance agency to make sure they have your correct newly issued VIN.

i hope this helps, and i would encourage others to edit, revise, and make other helpful suggestions.

Last edited by tmctguer; 07-11-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmctguer View Post
6). You'll need to get a Brake & Lamp Inspection at a local auto repair shop. This certifies that your headlights, tailights, brights, back up lights, license plate light all work.
This must be optional depending on the mood of the clerk. they never asked me to get one...
Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Hi guys,

sorry if this has been covered but wasn't obvious to me in reading posts here and the CA DMV site, etc.

Once you complete the kit (in my case planning on an ERA) you do all steps per this DMV page http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm prior to your first visit to the DMV, and then are you in the queue for the 500 SB100 certs that are given out on Feb 2 the next year?

Seems like I must be missing something, you can get a temporary registration in order to drive the car for the various inspections right?

I read a google groups thread on this someone posted but it still wasn't clear to me the sequence to get a VIN and temp reg versus getting one of those 500 certs each year!

thanks....Steve
Steve,

Short answer is that in most cases, you can convince the DMV to issue you a temporary operating permit while you wait for January 2010 to roll around. If your car is running, you can drive it to the CHP to have the VIN certified/issued. Keep pushing the appt. out and keep asking for TOPs.

Agree with onefastmustang, if the DMV doesn't indicate that a brake and lamp inspection is required on your paperwork, then you won't need to do it.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 01-11-2009 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Ron or Jamo, I would highly recommend that tmtcguer's post should be a sticky in the registration forum. While each DMV will give you a slightly different experience, the post above is accurate and detailed.

Always check and recheck everything with the DMV paperwork. Check your personal info and check that the VIN on everything matches and is correct. I cannot underestimate this piece of advice.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a voice of experience.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Indeed, Rodney is the undisputed SB 100 King. On many fronts.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Wow! I googled "SB-100 smog cert CHP inspection" and this description came up as item #2.

Very thorough description of the process.

I need to finish up my registration, and needed a refresher. The post by tmctguer was just what I needed.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Wow! I googled "SB-100 smog cert CHP inspection" and this description came up as item #2.

Very thorough description of the process.

I need to finish up my registration, and needed a refresher. The post by tmctguer was just what I needed.

DD
It's a good a one! I bookmarked it for future reference when questions are posted.

Rodney suggested that this should be a sticky in the registration forum....I agree!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Butler 427 body w/289 motor
Not Ranked     

Dont the DMV close on January 02, 2010? Jan. 02, 2010 is on a Sat.. I hope you guys mean the next business day which is January 04, 2010. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelb65 View Post
Dont the DMV close on January 02, 2010? Jan. 02, 2010 is on a Sat.. I hope you guys mean the next business day which is January 04, 2010. Correct me if I'm wrong.
January 04, 2010 is the day.

It's always the first business day after January 1st. Also a good idea to check in advance to confirm that the office you plan to visit is open since they had some extended Holiday closures one year.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Send a message via AIM to DA5ID
Not Ranked     
Default What about previously registered vehicles from out of state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmctguer View Post
in January 2008, I registered a fully built 1993 Beck that had been registered in other states in the past. so my steps were slightly different but in many cases, they generally reflect what is required for an SB100 registration:
Awesome post man, super helpful.

But I'm curious... I got myself an out-of-state FFR that is title when it was built as an 01.

What was your experience when registering vehicle from out of state?

-D
Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Send a message via AIM to DA5ID
Not Ranked     

Hey... Have you guys seen this post?

According to this fella, there are circumstances in which you do not need an SB-100 exemption if the engine (whether new or old) is an original, rebuilt or replica of the same engine offered in the car the year it was produced.

Thoughts?

http://grahamshotrodshop.com/about.html

-D
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Factory Racing GT-40 Crate Motor
Not Ranked     
Default Neil and his about to be new FFR

Hello, my first post to site, I just joined a few minutes ago. I am about to buy a Factory Five from Nevada, car has been registered there for a few years, titled as a 2003 special manufac car. The big question is how do I register in CA? It's now Jan 8, so all 500 of the SB100 permits I have read about are probably gone, does that mean I CANT register for a year? What are alternatives to SB100? Car has a 302 with EEC-IV computer mod for a 93 Cobra Mustang, Ford smog air pump, air tube, TAB, TAD, Dual Oxy sensors, dual CAT converters, EGR Valve and solenoid and BAP sensor....it passed smog in Nev with flying colors, but they use a 95 mustang as the specs....don't know what CA would use.

Any suggestions? Help? How much paperwork can be done at DMV before I buy car?

Thanks, Neil
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Haul ass to DMV. There were 100 numbers left a few days later, and there may be a few left. You MUST have a VIN inspection so I'd go to your local DMV at the crack of dawn and tell the nice lady that opens the door that you're there for an SB-100 number. Good luck - I got mine on the 4th.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Neil,

Gunner is right. You probably still have a chance to snag an SB100 sequence number. I'm not 100% certain, but my guess is that the car would probably need to meet the smog requirements for a 2003 vehicle.

That's wild that someone built a car and installed all of the smog equipment.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Gunnar, problem is that I have not actually bought car yet, that won't happen for about a week (getting money together)....I assume that until I actually buy car I can't do anything, or can I?

Neil
Old 01-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilKatz View Post
Thanks Gunnar, problem is that I have not actually bought car yet, that won't happen for about a week (getting money together)....I assume that until I actually buy car I can't do anything, or can I?

Neil
Correct. You can't move ahead until you buy the car and start the registration process in CA.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
You probably still have a chance to snag an SB100 sequence number. I'm not 100% certain, but my guess is that the car would probably need to meet the smog requirements for a 2003 vehicle.
If the car can meet year-of-build smog requirements (and it sounds like it's close), then it doesn't need an SB-100 exemption. It will still need an SPCNS sequence number, but it doesn't have to be one of the first 500 granting the smog exemption.

If you were lucky enough to score #499, you could significantly de-smog the engine. On general principle, though, I'd be against that. I'm not proud that my Cobra belches more crap into the air in its 3,000 miles a year than every Prius on earth does in that same year. (I don't lose a lot of sleep over it, either.) Since the car you're looking at has adequate power, with room for more, and can meet modern smog requirements... I'd stay with the combination.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Last edited by Gunner; 01-09-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Gunner, I have actually retained the services of a DMV outside authorized agent to help me with the process, she is going to DMV first thing on Monday to find out all she can about what needs to be done, especially to see if any SB100 certs still left. I had the same thought about just getting car smoged, it passed in NV with flying colors, but problem is what does the smog station enter in to the system as a reference to check car against? There is no 2003 FFR in the system, but I am going to talk to a smog guy today if I can to get an answer....I agree thou that even if exempt, nice to keep pollution down to a minimum...by the way, my wife drives a Prius!

I will keep you posted, wish me luck!

Neil