LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American
Not Ranked     
Default Was told I don't need SB100

Hi folks,
I ordered a CSX4000 series car. Actually, the number is CSX6020 as they are now out of 4000 numbers for fiberglass cars. Anyway, I was told that I don't need to worry about registration issues as the car is going to have a 1965 427 motor in it. Since the motor and car are listed as a 1965, then SB100 doesn't apply. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

If you are in california then no that is not correct. They will register your car based on the year the car is registered. IE 2009 if you do it tomorow.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you're living in CA, then you'll need an SB100 # to be exempt from current (2008, if bought in 2008) smog emissions. The year of block is no longer a valid method of being exempt from current smog requirements. See threads by Morgester, who works in the CA AG's office.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
If you're living in CA, then you'll need an SB100 # to be exempt from current (2008, if bought in 2008) smog emissions. The year of block is no longer a valid method of being exempt from current smog requirements. See threads by Morgester, who works in the CA AG's office.
I actually think its the year you first register it. I bought my chassis in 2006 but registered it in 2007. My reg and title say 2007.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dunno for sure, but my MSO says 2007, I bought my car in 2007 and I started the registration process in 2007. I finsihed the registration process in 2008. My car is considered a 2007. The DMV forms ask what year/model the car is, so my answer was 2007.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats a good point.. Maybe the date on the MSO is the key date.. I got my MSO in 2007 when I bought phase 3 from CR.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mine showed a model year of 0000 on the title. Now I believe they are using date you start your registration process. I was told my new one will be 2009 even though MSO and purchase were 2008 because I started (and will hopefully finish) the registration process in 2009. So long as they don't pull a Rodney on me I should be rolling around town by April.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

If you live in CA, should have ordered it last year and stood in line with us Jan 2.
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Everett-Morrison,428SCJ
Not Ranked     

Disclaimer first: I went through this a couple years ago and things may have changed....

Without SB100 Car is registered as year you start DMV process. Smog requirements are those in effect for year of block. Smog check is required every two years.

With SB100 Car is registered as year you start DMV process. Smog check is done ONE time only during reg process and is not required again. Duning that inspection much attention was paid to my PCV routing (late 60's FE), but NO attention was paid to what the emmissions actally were....

Yes, you don't NEED the SB100, but you don't really NEED that 427 either.......

-Jon

Last edited by Jon Miller; 01-05-2009 at 09:07 PM..
Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The DMV website is still not updated to show "no more left for 2009." So, you may still be able to grab one.

"Pull a Rodney." I'm glad that I've made it into the SB100 lexicon.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Hi folks,
I ordered a CSX4000 series car. Actually, the number is CSX6020 as they are now out of 4000 numbers for fiberglass cars. Anyway, I was told that I don't need to worry about registration issues as the car is going to have a 1965 427 motor in it. Since the motor and car are listed as a 1965, then SB100 doesn't apply. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
If the folks who sold you the car told you that you didn't need a SB100, you should give them some crap about the bad info.

That's negligent and they could get someone in trouble if they followed that advice and falsified docs.

The SB100 process is pretty straightforward...may have to wait until 2010 though.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 01-05-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
If the folks who sold you the car told you that you didn't need a SB100, you should give them some crap about the bad info.

That's negligent and they could get someone in trouble if they followed that advice and falsified docs.

The SB100 process is pretty straightforward...may have to wait until 2010 though.
Agreed...please give us their name so we can rag on them for the next 12 months. *

*Again, as others have noted...if you live in California. You have neglected to provide that info. despite the reference to SB100 (a California-specific term).
Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American
Not Ranked     

Sorry about not providing more info: Yes, I am in California. This information was given to me second hand from the guy who heads the Cobra department at Shelby American. Since the roller is considered a 1965, and the engine is a 1965, then no SB100 would be needed. Oh well, I guess come Jan 2nd, 2010, I will be in line at DMV. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

From what I understand CS tried that a few years back an was told that was a no-no. He said that he still had some old frames from back then so he could register them as that old. He was told "NO".
Terry
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sorry about not providing more info: Yes, I am in California. This information was given to me second hand from the guy who heads the Cobra department at Shelby American. Since the roller is considered a 1965, and the engine is a 1965, then no SB100 would be needed. Oh well, I guess come Jan 2nd, 2010, I will be in line at DMV. Thanks for the info.
They still may have numbers left for 2009. Try them (DMV).

Again, the year of the block is a "smog exempt" strategy/methodology that no longer works for registration in 2009.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

They repealed the #15?? option?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
They still may have numbers left for 2009. Try them (DMV).

Again, the year of the block is a "smog exempt" strategy/methodology that no longer works for registration in 2009.
Nope.. they are all gone.. I just got back from the DMV to renew my license and was talking to the manager..
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
From what I understand CS tried that a few years back an was told that was a no-no. He said that he still had some old frames from back then so he could register them as that old. He was told "NO".
Terry
That was his so called continuation Cobras I believe and they were illegal in California. I am not sure but think they may still be illegal as I believe he was building them as turn key cars and that takes them out of the SB-100 process.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Please tell us who provided this information. PM me if you prefer.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Ron,
Thanks, I knew I read it somewhere.
Terry