Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     
Default Mass registration Has anyone gone through the process

The full process which includes all the inspections.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and Collectable Chevy 5.7L LS1
Not Ranked     
Smile Hello ng8264723

I'm in the same boat, nearing completion of my Cobra and I live in MA.
From what I've read on the Mass RMV site, you first set up an appointment at a MAC to get a mechanical review of the completed car. If you pass the MAC review, you will be able to register the car and go for a normal inspection at any station that does inspections. There are a half a dozen or so MAC's in the state, find one near you and call them for your appointment.
I plan on doing this in the next couple of weeks. I'll take notes and post them for others in the forum. Good luck on your build!
Neal
Old 05-26-2009, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlafrance View Post
I'm in the same boat, nearing completion of my Cobra and I live in MA.
From what I've read on the Mass RMV site, you first set up an appointment at a MAC to get a mechanical review of the completed car. If you pass the MAC review, you will be able to register the car and go for a normal inspection at any station that does inspections. There are a half a dozen or so MAC's in the state, find one near you and call them for your appointment.
I plan on doing this in the next couple of weeks. I'll take notes and post them for others in the forum. Good luck on your build!
Neal
It is not that simple,you best have all your paperwork in order it has to be trailered to site. Your paperwork has to have all documentation for any donor parts etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It seems like a needless waste of time
Chris
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I glossed over the paperwork and yes it needs to be trailered to the MAC.
Those of us that live and work in Mass are used to these hassles, but I'd like to point out the it has gotten a lot easier since SEMA helped with the process in our state!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Neal,
SEMA assistance failed. It is not easy at the moment. I think the guys doing it now are the only ones that can offer advice.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2788, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Once again, I strongly suggest using the inspection site in Bridgewater. Bring ALL of your paperwork and a little bit of patience and you'll be fine. I took delivery of my new Superformance Cobra from Gear6performance in Boise, Idaho in April 2008, trailered it to Bridgewater, passed inspection and got my vin # and then went to the registry. Total time running around was probably 4 hours total. If your prepared ahead of time everything will go smoothly, if not, then you're asking for headaches.

Jidge
Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Once again, I will remind those looking into this... the law changed for 2009 when the Governor let things go with a non-sign veto.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi all,
I received my VIN from the salvage inspection unit on Thursday. My Advice is as follows,
be patient, arrive early, trailer the car, have all your receipts and your certificate of origin, know exactly where on the frame it is stamped with the VIN from the certificate of origin. The site I went to only did Cobra's between 8am an 11am. Call 617-351-9065 for any schedule changes at the site you plan to visit prior to going. You can also talk to a State Trooper if you have any questions at that number.

If it isn't stamped, some manufacturers don't do this, buy yourself a cheap metal stamp set and stamp the VIN from the Cert on the frame where you can see it easily. Be respectful of the Troopers and do exactly as told and they will be the same to you.
I was witness to some people's stupid attitudes and unpreparedness, it got them no where!

Once assigned a MASS VIN, insure the vehicle, the insurance needs the new MASS VIN for your policy, register it like normal, put your plates on, you have 7 days for a safety inspection, and schedule your emission testing at the Motorist assistance Center near you, MAC 866-941-6277. After the first MAC visit is completed subsequent yearly inspections are handled at a normal state inspection station.

Not so bad after all.

Good luck
Neal

Last edited by nlafrance; 06-05-2009 at 07:27 AM..
Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

The vin on the frame needs to be on a non removable steel piece as well,if yours is on a bolted cross frame then stamp one on another fixed part.

Marc
Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Again,
Marc great point, the Vin being on a non removable steel piece is exactly what they want. If they recover a stolen cobra, it may be the only way to find the rightful owner!
Safe and fun motoring Everyone!
Neal
Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Neal,
What about emissions?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Mass inspection and emission assignment

Aahh Emissions, In Mass you need an engine combination tracable to a production combination I.E. go with what your donor was, no crate engines in this state anymore! I had talked to the MAC representitive prior to getting my appointment, he said I would absolutly need Evap, tank pressure sensor, Cats, O2's, and maybe an Air pump, so I did my best, had the ecu flashed with the latest updates for my donor Vin and went from there. Mine required all that I mentioned above, so I installed everything and got the computer happy that everything was working, did it in about three weeks of thrashing and scrounging! I then called the Mac and scheduled my appointment for the emissions part.
The results; everything fits and doesn't look too ugly ...and I'm finally done! Passed my inspection and emissions assignment! I was told by them that I'm probably one of the first to get it done in the state this year!
Next year all I have to do is go to any inspection station and they will inspect and test to the assignment for my engine combo, it gets tied to your Mass VIN in the emissions inspection system.

YES, it was a pain in the ..., but I learned a lot and now have a fun ride that is good to the environment! I'm sorry for the delay in responding, been busy doing and driving! be safe out there!

Last edited by nlafrance; 08-27-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Old 08-27-2009, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ummmmmmmm I have a Kirkham with a 427 SO. Is it an orginal SO? No. It's a Genesis block. There is no way in hell I'm putting emesions on this $90,000 plus car. I will put another FE in it first from an old car. It would be ridiculous to do that to this car
chris
Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,
Your engine is new and from everything I've read and learned from the DEP, you'll need an old engine from an old car that you can prove ownership of. They say you need a title from the old car, but I've heard of cars getting thru with just pictures of the old casting numbers. I've been rebuilding old 289's and 390's lately. You could then just swap out the engine after the inspection if you want....
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike Forte just did a 390 short block for me for this same reason!...Mikes work and his engine guy jesse rocks!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Mike, I haven't heard back from the DEP/MAC regarding the block on my 351W. I've place a couple calls and still waiting an answer. I may stop by again this week, but i don't want them digging too deep into my car until they can tell me what they(I) need
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Neal...what did they check on the drivetrain?...are you using the existing rear end and transmission from a donor?...