CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #747, 428FE
Not Ranked     
Question Side Pipes in CT

Anyone have any recent dealings with CT DMV in regards passing
inspection? I need to get to Wethersfield and was wondering whether
they are going to give me problems in regards to side pipes being too
loud and not having heat shields? Do they use some kind of decible meter?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

You must have heat shields. Don'y worry about the noise, they'll just tell you you'll probably get a ticket if you don't put on mufflers.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Depends on how loud... I've seen the meter come out.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Might depend on the inspector. I just got my balls busted a little.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you guys.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

MAGS 427: Agree that the heat shields are mandatory for the inspection as it also reduces the reasons for not passing. Best not to get into a debate on the noise level and other items if the Inspector is just mentioning and is intended to pass the inspection.

Are you familiar with the other requirements, such as paperwork etc., etc., ?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don

Thanks for the input

I downloaded the inspection form and instructions will fill it out
Have two photos, bill of sale from ERA,receipt of engine purchase showing that I purchased it prior to 8/1/08 so that i dont have to put air pollution stuff on my 1974 engine as i would have to if i purchased the engine after 8/1/08.

Looks like i am going to need to get some heat shields. Lights and wipers work, handbrake stalls the car in first. Have to trailer it up there was thinking of towing to the DMV passing, registering and driving home.

Am i missing anything?

Thanks for all you did a couple year's back relating to emmissions.

Frank
Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA has their own heat shields...maybe they will let you borrow them for the day (after all, you spent a great deal of money there). Ask. Also, don't bet on passing the first time, and if you do, you may not have enough time to go through the registration process inside. You also have to have your insurance man CHANGE the ID number AFTER the inspector assigns it and affixes it to your car. If he's at his office, he can fax a copy to DMV...they won't register it without the new number on the insurance id card/paper. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MAGS427:

My personal experience is dated on the procedural steps at Wethersfield , but the items below may be of assistance

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a...NavCtr=|#30236

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf

As far as I know, these are the current versions. Having the paperwork complete and presentable along with knowledge of the above will enhance the success of the inspection procedures.

Technically, there are CT regulations regarding the noise measurement, both at idle and moving, measured from a distance at a specific speed in high gear.

If there are any obstacles in your inspection, might be of assistance to others if you would mention.

GOOD LUCK !!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
ERA has their own heat shields...maybe they will let you borrow them for the day (after all, you spent a great deal of money there). ...
Yes. Definitely give Peter a call. We also have ways to reduce the DB level for inspection. I wouldn't count on getting an inspector that doesn't use the sound meter (if he exists at all).
Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI...........these may or may not be current:

" Per Sec. 14-80a-1a through 14-80a-10a of the DMV Regulations for "Glass Pack Mufflers" it is based on the loudness of the vehicle measured in accordance with the DMV Regulation. The loudness is affected not only by the mufflers utilized, but also by any engine modifications. There can be two different vehicles with the same exhaust system, however, they may have different engine modifications. One of the vehicles will pass the noise level measurement test and the other vehicle may not. "

CT DMV Section 14-80a-4a , Allowable Noise Levels since Jan 1, 1979. The maximum dB for a stationary test is 72 dB for soft site( grass ) and 74 dB for hard site ( pavement ). Section 14-80a-9a mentions the distance for measuring the dB. The baseline is 48 feet or more but less than 58ft. An adjustment to the dB reading is made up or down for readings either closer or farther away than the baseline range. The max reading is 81 dB for a hard site, highway operation above 35MPH, using the 48 to 58 ft baseline for measuring.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all for the advice I will give Peter a call. Zo good point on trying to register the same day forgot they close i believe at 3:00.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I passed CT Inspection

Hi All

I'VE PASSED! First shot very exited here are the details:

Got on line yesterday @ 11:00 am made it to the front of the line @ 2:00. Less than 15 cars/trailers etc in front of me.

No mention of my pipes being to loud, for those that were following the thread I was concerned with my pipes being to loud and whether or not I needed heat sheilds. Thanks to all of your advice I bought a set of heat shields and decided to take may chances with the stock ERA side pipes for the loudness.

One small glitch that would have been disaster and it wasn't with the car but the paper work. I bought my Tremec trans from ERA and it was listed on my ERA invoice as "Tremec transmission, $xxxx.xx". The inspector working on the paperwork not the one who checked out my car, was not happy with it because it "looked more like a quote" rather than an actual receipt and it did not have the tran serial number. Thankfully they were nice enough to accept a fax, I called ERA they faxed over what i needed. We win!
Mind you, the only proof for my rear end was a receipt from a salvage yard stating, "Used rear 87 XJ6" inspector said thats all they need for used parts, no detail, no serial number, nothing go figure. I think the guy who inspected the car would have let me go on the paperwork???

They were very familiar with the car, and noted that they go way back with the guys at ERA coming down to get cars inspected for their custumers. I am sure it's the same story with other CT manufacturers.

Next step registration.

Thanks to all.

Frank
Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

MAGS427,

How did they register your car, IE: composite or year of close resemblance???
Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Frank........excellent

Steve:

Below I included the e-mail from the 4C's member that worked on the Bill, which is effective Oct 1. My understanding, the DMV is in the process of writing the regulations in support of the Oct 1 effective date with no firm date as to when the regulations will be published.

I questioned with the 4C's, the sentence that is in bold , waiting for clarification. Seems that with an effective date of Oct 1, Composites registered in 2009 , until Sept 30, would still have a 2009 make year.......but, that's a guess.

Copy of e-mail:

" Thanks to the efforts of Hughes and Cronin Public Affairs Strategies (the lobbyist retained by the 4C’s), I am happy to inform you that the Governor has signed Public Act 09-187 (Senate Bill 1081) into law on July 8th. The specific wording changes to the state statutes are included in the attached Acrobat (.pdf) file.

The new law should fix the problem that unintentionally arose last year when the maximum $500 assessment was extended from those antique vehicles with early American plates to any antique vehicle (Public Act 08-150). As you are aware, there were significant differences in how the individual town property tax assessors were interpreting last year’s change. Some towns were looking to this as a means to exclude antique vehicles that were modified or not of “historic interest” from the $500 maximum assessment benefit, and to assess those vehicles at a higher value (resulting in the vehicle owners having to pay more taxes).

We believe the revised wording specifically indicating that vehicles with early American plates will not need to provide documentation to the town assessor that their vehicle qualifies for that the maximum $500 assessment will fix this issue. While early American plates are not required to qualify for the maximum $500 assessment, owners of vehicles without those plates may have to provide documentation to their town assessor that their vehicle qualifies for the maximum $500 assessment. (The change to Section 14-20 to allow the DMV to issue early American plates to antique vehicles with modifications aligns the statutes to what has been standard practice at the DMV for years.) The bottom line here is that if your vehicle has early American plates, you should not have a problem in getting the maximum $500 assessment applied to your vehicle.

As of October 1, 2009, Public Act 09-187 requires that a composite vehicle should be registered as the model year the vehicle most closely resembles. For example, if you have a 1965 Cobra Replica and registered it for the first time this year, that vehicle would be registered with the model year 1965, not with a 2009 model year. The main purpose of that change was to resolve issues that came up on the DMV website last year regarding emissions requirements for new composite vehicles. 4C’s members had discussions with the DMV last year, and the DMV suggested this change be the means of resolving this issue. Presumably, since that 1965 Cobra Replica will now be registered as a 1965 vehicle, that vehicle will be exempt from emissions testing "
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I registered my ERA last July as a Composite (2008) and was just whacked for a $600 tax bill. A $500 assessment will probably get you a $25 tax bill (my old Vette tax bill is $19 and has vintage plates). I gotta change this thing come Oct if I can. Big difference due to a technicality. I wonder how many legislators might own big $$ collector cars that will be affected by this new legislation?
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Heat shields are a must. If it sounds loud, they will pull out the dB meter. They did on mine and I failed the first time.

Now I will ask a question. I got registered in 2006 as a composite. Can I apply after Oct 1st to change the registration to a 1965?

Stu
Old 07-11-2009, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have not registered yet, the 4 hour ordeal at inspection was enough for a day or maybe a week. It probably would not have been as bad if I wasn't stressed about not passing.

The inspection report which wanted a year and make I left blank and the inspector filled in "09" and "Composite" The form to obtain a VIN # again which they filled out indicated 09 composite.

Was planning on getting it registered next week but now wondering if I will be stuck waiting till October when I can register it as a 1965 Cobra??
Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Register it now you are legit. Unless you want to wait and go through the process again after October 1st.

Until they have a process defined for conversion... who knows?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MAGS427:

The actual section of the DMV Bill, with the Governor having signed on July 8th, doubtful whether the DMV has finalized any regulations that could be officially published, still effective Oct 1st. Note the wording only refers to the Model year, an unknown is whether the DMV will still refer to the replica as a Composite or ? The emphasis and negotiating compromises were centered on eliminating any possible mis-interpretation regarding the emission exemption.

Sec. 30. Subsection (b) of section 14-16a of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2009):

(b) The following vehicles, upon transfer of ownership, shall be presented for inspection, as directed by the commissioner, at any Department of Motor Vehicles office or any official emissions inspection station authorized by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to conduct such inspection: (1) All motor vehicles ten model years old or older which are registered in this state and which were originally used or designed as fire apparatus and which are of historical or special interest as determined by the commissioner, (2) all antique, rare or special interest motor vehicles, and (3) all modified antique motor vehicles. Any such vehicle shall be inspected to determine whether it is in good mechanical condition before registration can be issued to the new owner of such vehicle. The determination of the mechanical condition of a vehicle described in subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection shall be made by inspecting only the vehicle's original equipment and parts or the functional reproductions of the original equipment and parts. The mechanical condition of modified antique motor vehicles shall be determined by inspecting the original equipment and any functioning replacements of such equipment. The model year designation for the purpose of registration of a modified antique motor vehicle or a composite motor vehicle shall be the model year that the body of such vehicle most closely resembles. If the commissioner authorizes the contractor that operates the system of official emissions inspection stations or other business or firm, except a licensee of the department, to conduct the safety inspections required by this subsection, the commissioner may authorize the contractor or other business or firm to charge a fee, not to exceed fifteen dollars, for each such inspection. The commissioner may authorize any motor vehicle dealer or repairer, licensed in accordance with section 14-52 and meeting qualifications established by the commissioner, to make repairs to any motor vehicle that has failed an initial safety inspection and to certify to the commissioner that the motor vehicle is in compliance with the safety and equipment standards for registration. No such authorized dealer or repairer shall charge any additional fee to make such certification to the commissioner.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/ACT/PA/20...B-01081-PA.htm