10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Importing a Cobra replica into the U.S. from Canada?

Has anyone ever imported a turnkey Cobra replica into the U.S. from Canada? What requirements must be met to do so legally?

From a quick read of the NHTSA website, it would seem that a turnkey Cobra replica would be considered a "non-conforming vehicle" in that it doesn't meet U.S. safety and emissions regulations, but that it could still be imported if it is at least 25 years old.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/...elig060109.pdf

Does this sound right to you? Do any of you have first-hand experience which you could share? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Are you the original owner and moving into the states, if so, then you should be able to get a waiver for importation of the non conforming vehicle. It really depends on what state within the US you are moving to. Some are more stringent on the regulations than others.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-28-2009, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, I'm not moving to the U.S. The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at buying a resale Cobra replica very soon, and figure it would make sense to have one that could eventually be resold into the U.S. The market in Canada is pretty small for cars like this. Guess I should've been clearer up front...

I suspect that importing is a federal jurisdiction in the U.S., as it is here, and that the state-to-state differences you mentioned have to more to do with registration, and safety and emissions regulations/standards, right?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post

I suspect that importing is a federal jurisdiction in the U.S., as it is here, and that the state-to-state differences you mentioned have to more to do with registration, and safety and emissions regulations/standards, right?

Correct, while the federal government of the united states has certain standards (safety and emissions wise), each state also has their own safety and emissions standards which can and sometimes do supercede the federal standards. As for buying for resale, be careful as the current market is quite volatile. If you buy, buy because you plan to drive the car and you are getting a great deal. Otherwise, you may get stuck with a car that you cannot get your original investment out of.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-28-2009, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm hip. I'm really looking to buy so that I can own and drive my all-time dream car. With luck it'll be everything I've ever hoped for and they'll end up burying me in it. On the other hand I often worry that the fantasy of owning a Cobra is quite different than the reality (that is, it's an expensive toy that I may not get too much use out of), so I'm just trying to think ahead.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wanted to bring a car from Ontario Canada into New York State. I decided not to after I read all that had to be taken care of legally. This was after reading just the first few paragraphs on the "how to" website. The undercarriage had to be power washed and then inspected at the border. NYS does not want any Canadian mud. Then I had to pay Customs and Duty too. $$$ ??? depends on price of car I guess. A couple of friends of mine said...Have the owner drive it over the border leave it for you to pick it up and then he can get a ride home from ones of his friends...I'd rather keep the laws of the land but in this case there's too much red tape for my liking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: