28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 351/427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default How can I register a car in NY that has passed CT compliance?

Recently had the opportunity to purchased a very well done car from Ct. that has met compliance, issued a state vin number and was titled. As everyone here says and dealings with Tom Noonan were excellent. However, was advised by KATHY in the complience section that this car could not be registered in NY for five years from the date of the CT title???? Could this car just be purchased and go thru the NY certification process? I thought because the car had already been gone thru for stolen parts in CT it could be registered in NY by simply filling out the paperwork. Apparently you can't get the "custom" reg. for it. Any comments/help would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

that would be violation of interstate commerce.

Z. Ray
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

AVOID KATHY LIKE THE PLAGUE! This woman is a nut - she says no first then asks what you want. Go around, over, through or under this woman, ask for her supervisor, whatever you have to do. Do NOT deal with her.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

If CT has already issued a title for the car, you should be able to just take that CT title down to your local NY DMV office and transfer the title to your name and get plates the same way you would with any other OEM used car that is purchased out of state.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, but the problem with that is the registration/title for the Ct. is for a 2004 titled in 2007, and appears as a Comp/Cobra. Since I'm in the downstate area I'd have to be emissions compliant ( ie OBII ). When registering in NY they will only put what's on the previous title. Don'y know how to make them issue a "custom" registration.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re the above post. That's NY's out, it's not the same as any OEM which meets federal standards their argument is that another state, even having gone through the compliance process, may not have the same requirements as NY.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall1836 View Post
Re the above post. That's NY's out, it's not the same as any OEM which meets federal standards their argument is that another state, even having gone through the compliance process, may not have the same requirements as NY.
OK.... but if the other state required all the paperwork and receipts in order to check for stolen parts and such so you could get a title in that state what are you supposed to do NOW that they have your paperwork and you have a bonafide title from that state.
NOT MOVE
Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall1836 View Post
You (or NY) are mixing apples and oranges. Titling and inspection are 2 different things. CT has already determined that the car is a 2004 Comp/Cobra and issued a title stating such. NY must transfer that title and issue you a NY title stating that the car is a 2004 Comp/Cobra. However, once titled in NY as a 2004 Comp/Cobra, the car is subject to NY's inpection requirements like the OBII and whatever else their inspection requires, but that is an entirely different issue than transferring a valid CT title to NY.

If you want to get out of the NY state OBII inspection requirements, maybe your question is how do you get NY to issue a new title for a kit car or alter the classification of your vehicle on an already existing title. That, unfortunately, I can't help you with because I am not sure what NY's kit car/composite vehicle rules are- maybe one of the NY guys can enlighten us.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, you will probably get little help, and probably resistance by working with Kathy in compliance.

My first time around with Albany DMV and I received a letter from Kathy "We regret to inform you...."

Subsequently I worked with Mark Engel. He was VERY helpful and guided me through the maze of regulations involved with the NY custom registration process.

Our situations are different - I was registering a new SPF for the first time - but I would highly recommend trying to reach Mark at the Albany DMV. His email address at the time was menge(at)dmv.state.ny.us

Your hurdle is trying to get that 2004 vehicle past downstate emission regulations. Explain to him what the car is (kit manufacturer/MSO date, ect- he knows the Cobra replicas) and hopefully he can help.

hope this helps,
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Jim,
Can you believe how completely irrational and difficult she is, and that she is still there?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to everyone for your comments, unfortunatly decided to pass on the car. Spoke with the DMV field investigators and the person above is right, NY will transfer the title at the DMV for a similiar NY title. In this case the car would be a "2004' and have to meet the NY emissions for down state area and NY title would read the same as the Ct. title comp/cobra and you could not change it to a "custom" which would drop the emissions requirements. Also, since the Technical unit( Mark& Tom, both very helpful), DMV reg. office, Field investigations and The compliance unit are all DIFFERENT units advise from one may be at odds with one of the others. I was also advised that if I was fortunate enough to get the car registered and titled it does not prevent the title unit from rejecting the title upon review which would result in a revocation/suspension of the plates. I wasn't willing to take a $30,000 dollar crap shoot. The good news is that Kathy M should be or is soon to be retired.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sorry it didn't work out for you, but better to find out now than after plunking down the $30k.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Glad you got good info before running into possible trouble.

One very important fact that you mentioned should be repeated for anyone working on Cobra NYS title/registration/inspections.

"Also, since the Technical unit (Mark& Tom, both very helpful), DMV reg. office, Field investigations and The compliance unit are all DIFFERENT units advise from one may be at odds with one of the others."

Good luck with the hunt. You will find "your" car. Be sure to let us know when you find it!

Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

New York state shot me down on another car. Properly registered/titled NJ car using a Pa. VIN. Said I could register it,BUT faced the possiblity that I would receive a notification of revocation and have to go thru the certification process. Current owner doesn't have the MOS or proof of ownership for the motor, he didn't need it when he registered the car. I'm limited to buying a NY titled car, or build my own and go thru the certification process. That's bullsh** !!!!