Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > RU Car Crafters--Speak with Roger Upton

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     
Question RUCC....Is Roger still out there???

ITs been almost 2 years since I last spoke with Riger on my build, been busy and had no reason to call. I tried to call him a few times over the past few weeks just to chat and let him know mine is just about ready to hit to road, and have not heard back from him.

Is Roger still building Cobras in Sandsprings? Is he still around? I hope nothing has happened and he is just busy..busy...busy....

If anyone out that way knows or has an update, just concerned, Roger's a good guy and would like to catch up with him.

Jim
Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     

Jim,

I have not heard from or seen Roger in 3 years nor do I want to. There is no doubt that Roger builds a first rate backbone frame & an excellent body, he is a craftsman when it comes to those things. However, his customer service skills are severely lacking. This has been proven to me & to other customers I know of his that bought a kit from him.

I think he just got in "over his head", took a lot of orders, couldn't keep his employees therefore he got WAY behind on delivering them. After a while, it seemed like he would take out his frustrations on his customers that paid their deposits & were waiting on the product to deliver. It took me almost 18 months just to get the frame so I could start my build. You probably didn't have to deal with this sort of thing since you didn't buy your kit directly from him.

It's a shame, he did build a top notch, quality product, but for some reason couldn't keep his employee's (I think he only had one or two anyway) and it turned out to be a one man shop.

If there wasn't a customer service issue, I would recommend this kit to anyone. My RUCC Cobra rides and handles GREAT and it feels solid all around.

So, answering your question, I don't know if he is still building kits or not, I really don't think so. I know that in the past he would take his Cobra out to Hallett during the Mid America event & sometimes be at the car show on Sunday. Last year I didn't see him there. maybe he'll be there this weekend.

"Living the Cobra Experience"

Last edited by Juggernaut; 06-11-2008 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Added sentence
Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Juggernaut,

Yea I recall all of the issues. If you see him let me know, I was just wondering what he was up to and hoped to catch up with him and talk.

Jim
Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw427 View Post
Juggernaut,

Yea I recall all of the issues. If you see him let me know, I was just wondering what he was up to and hoped to catch up with him and talk.

Jim
No problem Jim, I'll let you know if I see him at the Mid America event this weekend.

Enjoy your Cobra, I sure am enjoying mine!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I saw him at the car show last year. He got married the year before that in a wedding at Hallet. Last I spoke with him he was working for the bus manufacturer in Tulsa and had no time to get his shop in order to build any cars. When and if he does get back into it, it will be very small scale. It would probably be only a few cars a year that he would have complete control over.

Personally I hope he does get it all back in order as he is a great person and certainly builds a top shelf car. I used to spend a few evenings a week at his shop helping out with this and that just to have something to do. I haven't had time in the last couple of years since becoming self employed myself. I do know that the few people he did hire really screwed things up. Lots of bad chassis and bodies before he fired. A lot of time and money were wasted and put him in a bad spot. You gotta give a guy a break when he gets hammered by those he's supposed to be able to trust!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC with Chevy 406 sbc
Not Ranked     
Cool No help from Roger!

I too was looking for Roger. I spoke with him on the phone and he was reassuring. Said he'd help with anything he could but that was the last I heard from him. After many unanswered calls I showed up at his shop to buy needed parts and advice only to get chewed out for showing up and got no parts. I guess he doesn't need the money. Seems like he could be a good guy but guess he doesn't want to.be bothered. I think I'm going to sell my kit. I'm allmost finished but my loss. Know any anyone? Good luck. Phil.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'd be interested except for a couple things. 1st, is a SBC car. Just personal preference of course. 2nd is that I spend all of my money on my boat now and my wife doesn't want me to spend it on other toys as well. Ah well, what ya gonna do! Any thoughts as to how much you want for it?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

what do you want for the kit?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I guess I will keep tryinh him off and on just to talk if he gets the time.

Just finished mu RUCC kit and got it on the road, man does it drive, ride, and handle nice.

I hope Roger gets back into it even if it is just a few cars a year.

Jim
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 351w, T5
Not Ranked     

I too tried to get a hold of Roger but he never returned any of my calls. I didn't buy my car from Roger, I bought the body and frame from an individual and had to round up all the parts from other vendors.
I've been working on my car about a year and a half and just got it on the road and tagged this week.
You guys are right, RUCC cars do ride and handle great.

Darren
Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 429CJ
Not Ranked     
Default Did anyone contact Roger?

Hi,

Did anyone ever get in contact with Roger? I have an RUCC that's been titled sense 2000. It is the first IRS that roger completed. We worked together to get it completed and ran it at Hallett several times with Roger. I have not been able to get with him lately either. Would like to see what he's up to.

I would also like to get with any other RUCC owners out there. Swap stores about our builds, assit with questions and maybe get a group together.

Look forward in conversing

Don
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dons429AC View Post
Hi,

Did anyone ever get in contact with Roger? I have an RUCC that's been titled sense 2000. It is the first IRS that roger completed. We worked together to get it completed and ran it at Hallett several times with Roger. I have not been able to get with him lately either. Would like to see what he's up to.

I would also like to get with any other RUCC owners out there. Swap stores about our builds, assit with questions and maybe get a group together.

Look forward in conversing

Don
Don, I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! I haven't talked to Roger in a long time. The last I heard was he was working at the bus factory.

How about some pictures of your Cobra?

Getting together with other RUCC owners is a great idea, a get together, maybe in spring would be great! Look for a pm from me.

Any other RUCC owners interested?

See ya,
Randy

Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Count me in, spring would be great.
I was wondering what shocks and springs everyone used on the rear? I used stock 95 mustang springs and shocks and they are way to soft. Also is anyone using the rear sway bar with the 8.8 rearend? Thanks

Darren
Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Then spring it is!

Darren, sounds like I have the same set up you have, my springs & shocks came with the kit. I'm considering going with coilovers on the front this winter. I'm not running the rear sway bar.

Randy

Old 02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC 331ci, Tremek, 9"
Not Ranked     
Default Where's Roger?

Hey, I'm a little late jumping into this forum but I too am a RUCC owner. The car took 3.5 years to complete but as stated above Roger makes a great car. I haven't spoken to Roger since March 06' when I picked the few B/O parts he had and I knew then I wouldn't be getting any support. I finished it February 08'.
If RUCC owners ever got together it would be a blast. Maybe Roger could even be coaxed into coming, if we can find him!
Ken
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Roger...
Been there done that! if you want to improve the ride by 100% get the rubbers that go under the coil spring in the rear of a mustang...or was it just mine that didn't come with them
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibr8k4vetts View Post
Roger...
Been there done that! if you want to improve the ride by 100% get the rubbers that go under the coil spring in the rear of a mustang...or was it just mine that didn't come with them
Mike, where can I get them?

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Williams View Post
Hey, I'm a little late jumping into this forum but I too am a RUCC owner. The car took 3.5 years to complete but as stated above Roger makes a great car. I haven't spoken to Roger since March 06' when I picked the few B/O parts he had and I knew then I wouldn't be getting any support. I finished it February 08'.
If RUCC owners ever got together it would be a blast. Maybe Roger could even be coaxed into coming, if we can find him!
Ken
I was checking out your gallery, nice build, nice Cobra! What color blue is that? Have anymore pictures of it?

I finished my RUCC kit in March 08 & it's been a blast!

It's a shame that things didn't work out for Roger (for whatever reason), he made a top notch solid, quality kit that handles and drives fantastic. I believe it is one of the best kits (& not just because I own one), I've been in others that just don't feel like a "real" car, this one does.

It's a shame that only a limited number of people like us will ever really know what this kit has to offer.

We are hoping to get as many RUCC owners together as possible sometime this year, still have to work out the details.

See ya,
Randy

Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Mike, where can I get them?

Thanks!
I ordered them from Summit part # ENE-4-6101G, I also added bump stops so the car was not bottoming out on the shocks, part # BBK-2531 but I had to weld some spacers to make them work.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibr8k4vetts View Post
I ordered them from Summit part # ENE-4-6101G, I also added bump stops so the car was not bottoming out on the shocks, part # BBK-2531 but I had to weld some spacers to make them work.

I also installed bump stops on my car. Where and how did you install yours?

Darren