14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     
Default Run and Gun 2009 in the record books(for many reasons)

I just want to say thanks to the dedicated few that "played through the rain". I had a good time even if I didn't get the track time I wanted in the sunshine I ordered.

I think the goal for me was to meet some guys I hadn't met before and get to know some guys that I really didn't know that well before. I met my best friend at this event and my top 10 are mainly people from Run and Gun. It seems that every year I meet some people who have the most amazing stories. I wish there would have been more people but life happens. I'm sure you will hear some of those stories as well.

I want to thank Clois for all the work he has done this year. He is not the type to ever say but you just can't imagine the effort he puts into this event.

We will not be running at St. Louis next year. Yes that's right. After more than 10 years we have decided to move to a different location. I don't think it is quite time for that announcement but stay tuned!

It rained so hard, you just can't describe it! Have you ever driven on a high speed road course in the rain! Some did this year. Have you ever been to a rodeo and seen a barrel race? Well, we did it in our cars this year. (I actually did it in Clois's car!) It was a blast! Have you ever though of floating your cobra down a river? (yeah, me either) but we did it! There was actually a section of the auto-x that was running water!

I thought the banquet was fun and the steak was pretty good. We gave away a track day pass from MVP track time with proceeds going to Operation Comfort and when the bidding slowed, Jay Nordstrom through in a complete NASCAR truck to sweeten the deal!!!!! I think the buyer of the truck is going to sell it on Ebay and donate all the proceeds to the charity. We all gave what we could and in the end we had giving over $17,000 to our fallen soldiers. God bless all of them and the sacrifices they have made for all of us. In the morning I began to wonder if we might have crossed the line with the passing of the hat twice. If any one thought that was to much, I apologize but we are collectively a very generous group and we rarely have a forum in which to give back to our military.

In the end it was a success because it really isn't about the cars. It is about the friendships created and I created some new ones and renewed some old ones.

Good luck to everyone this year and I look forward to seeing everyone next year, where ever we are! ( Hint: if it rains, we can still race indoors!)
Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

For those that missed Aaron Quine in the Mongoose Corvette on the track in the rain, it was a treat. I've really never seen a car in person go that fast on a wet track. There has to be some action shots on the autocross where a sheet of rain water covered the car. I know I felt like it did a time or two on/over me. I was soaked from that run I cannot describe the pucker factor I had on a very wet road course. But, the more runs I made, the more comfortable I got. I set a goal time, met that and quit before I sent the car spinning.

My thanks to Clois AND Dean for the work they did and for doing everything they could to make sure everyone had fun and got their money's worth out of an event that very easily could have been a complete wash. Thanks to all of those that ran your cars in the rain. Without you, it wouldn't have been near as fun. We'll see what next year brings with weather and the track location. I'm still waiting for some pictures from our club members as well as a video, I'll post 'em up when I get them.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Run n Gun 2009

Thanks for all your kind words but I have to thank some folks too!

First and foremost I want to thank all the participants that were willing to put their cars out in the weather for the sake of Run n Gun. The Auto Cross looked like our cars were powered by a jet ski on a flat lake. Some of the smaller cars totally disappeared in a rooster tail. I personally never completed the course; I either Got Lost or my windshield or my face mask fogged up. The barrel race was a lot of fun and in my opinion it help everyone that was going to get on the very wet road course. There were some of us that just couldn't quit cutting donuts whether there was a barrel to go around or not. All of us EVENTUALLY found it back to the stop box. The Road Course was a full pucker power event as Tim Mauldin said. The winning time was a somewhere around 1:21 which for many would be a good time on dry pavement. Aaron is some kind of driver...I am sure his new wife has no idea what he had hanging out this weekend.

The Friday night banquet was a huge success due to the generosity of all of the members and guest. I am so glad I was able to attend this years Run n Gun because everyone of us became a much closer family. We were all pulling for each other and willing to help each other if needed. Good sports one and all and absolutely some of the best people I would ever want to be around.

Finally two more acknowledgements, I want to thank my wife Sharon (who is working as I type on the Final Results for our web site) and Dean Lampe's wife Lisa who rolled out of bed at 5:30 or 6:00am so they could be at the track for registration, check-in, and to post the times for all of our racers. These ladies are great and WE COULD NOT DO THIS EVENT WITHOUT THEM!

Lastly, I want to acknowledge Jay Nordstroms generosity and his life long commitment to Operation Comfort and Automotivation. Jay has been blessed and is willing to pass his good fortune on to these wounded or disabled soldiers. Everyone that attended the banquet was so darn generous it brought our bartender to tears. Thank you!

More as I get a little more organized.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Many Thanks!

... to Clois, Sharon, Dean, Lisa, and Jay for a year of meticulous preparation, months of hard work leading up to a week of what must have been madness for all of you. The weather was a case of "it is what it is ..." so nobody used it for an excuse and you put on a fantastic event! I also want to thank Gateway CC, Mark and Tim for hosting the refreshment table again this year.

So I'm not going to say how I wish it had been different .. I had a hell of a good time, as always, with you and friends I only see at RnG once a year. And I can't imagine how the Autocross could have been better .. we should wet the course from now on Who woulda thought I could run the AutoX in driving rain, on slicks, and turn a 50 sec time? I'm going to wear a Nomex Speedo the next time

Now the Barrel of Monkeys .. that event just had to be in the rain, monster engines, in high strung race cars, driven by experienced track drivers .. spinning around like high school girls at the TMS SkillZ school I hope somebody got that on video ...

Sam
Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Here's mine and Randy's run on the Barrel of Monkeys

Randy L - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nRVblm9Cg

Tim M - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBsDHtNtD_A
Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all the RunNGun Family for putting on such a good event through the monsssoooon season,bringing more anti fog next year for the front window, it works well.Jay you allways know what to say and do for our American Hero's that are injured in the line of duty your truely a light in ther world and ours.I wish everyones heart was as big as yours.You even inspired the bar tender to give his tips,and when his said that we made him proud to be an American I knew it was the best part of my weekend,and it made all the rain problems just fade away. That comes easy when your with family!
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 10-11-2009, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Great Weekend

I would like to take time out to thank the wonderful people I had the opportunity to meet at this years Run-n-Gun. Donna and I had a wonderful time and will be back next year with our Hurricane Motorsports 1037. The weather sucked but the fellowship was out standing.

Clois and Dean. Thanks for putting on a great show. The event ran very smoothly considering the 5 inches plus rain fall. You guys really deserve more credit.

Gateway Cobra club. Special thanks too all of you for setting up hot drinks and beverages for everyone. It helped take the edge off those chilly mornings. Special thanks to Tim and Mark who powered me and Donna around the track. Tim got the novice award or most improved rookie at Run-n-Gun.

Dave Williams of Fast Lane Classic Cars for inviting us over to his shop/show room to look at all his classic cars. Dave also provided lunch for the group. He also does a mean burn-out.

Mike Barnheart for his generosity to Operation Comfort and helping raise the $17,600 that is going to Operation Comfort.

Don Barnes for answering all of my driving questions and showing me how to set up a road course. Don, Donna and I will be seeing you for the Texas Driving Experience very soon.

Finally Jay Nordstrom. Jay you are a an amazing person. No amount of words can fully appreciate the love my family has for you. Your generosity and giving to others is describable. From service men and women every were thank you and what you have done for this country. You are my Hero.

Oh and finally to my wife Donna. Who totally enjoyed herself and is already spending money for next year. She plans to drive as well.

The only bad thing that happened. American Airlines lost my bag. It was returned to too me this morning so all is well.

Tell next year.

One more thing. Once I get the pictures downloaded from my camera I will post them in the Run-n-Gun Gallery.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

Last edited by Gregg(What's his name)?; 10-12-2009 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Type o
Old 10-14-2009, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Gregg

Good to hear you had a good time.

Yes Jay is a good guy and a fantastic host. Say Hi to him for me.

I'll try and get over soon to see you'all -

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Bernie,

You missed a good time. Come on over and let me buy you a beer. Here is some more photos from RunNGun.

RunNGun Photos

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

As we always have said....it's about the friends and the passion for cars....sounds like you guys had a great time despite the weather. Texas has been like that for months and finally getting some sun this weekend. Hope your new location has better weather next year and I hope to participate with something ie; Cobra or GT40? Glad all were safe....
Old 10-17-2009, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Another GREAT event even with the bad weather

The weather was the killer this year. NO one was hurt, a couple of cars got some scratch marks. The barrel racing was funniest thing I have seen in the 16 years of coming to the R&G. Every body got to do there impression of Gumball Rally in the water cannels in LA. Test and tune was the only good day and guys where running some good times.
Like to thank Dave Williams for the lunch and beautiful cars he had for sale. Could not get over the John Wayne collection he also has. If anyone is looking for a muscule car or nice cruiser, you might want to check in with him first. His prices are below what is asking on the market.
Again Clois, Dean, Sharon and Lisa did a great job of pulling the event off with poor conditions.
Rumor has it that next year, the Big noisy guy,( Jay N. ) may come out of retirement and race again at the new track we may be going too. I just hope there will ne NO SNOW there next fall???
For the guys that know about me not bringing my car because of my 20th aniversary cruise, it rained from St. Lious all the way to Bermuda, had 1 50/50 day and is still raining today. 1 week of RAIN!!!!!
Hope that the guys that couldn't make it this year will be sure to sign up early for next year, some guys are already maken plans. Rick L.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Hey guys, there was chatter at one point that Ben was at the event on one of the days, and took some pictures. Did those shots ever become available for us little people?
Thanks,
Richard
Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I'll find out and let you know. I know Ben was there on Wednesday but I haven't seen the pictures either.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Awesome, thanks Dean. Just got back from running at Daytona this last weekend. That really got the juices flowing.
Cheers,
Richard