17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     
Default exotic run n gun cars

looks like as pretty nice list of cars going to show up, can you tell us about some of them? spice? dio? slc? rucc?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I will do my best:

The Spice car is in the specialty class and is a former campaigner in the American GT series powered by a 305 oldsmobile engine and owned by Mike Bernhardt from Wichita Falls, TX.

The DIO is the creation of Bill Bonadio from Oklahoma City and is powered by a very lively 350 Chevy engine (I think)? Bill owns an upscale restaurant in Oklahoma City and plays with these kit cars in his spare time. He is very good a both by the way.

The SLC is Dean Lampes latest venture (tune in next time for his next big deal) into going fast and safe. I am told he is running a Crate LS3 engine (Dean Lied to me once) and is one of Fran Halls creations from RCR. Dean will be running specialty class too.

A third entry in the specialty class is Mark Kutina from Missouri but I know absolutely nothing about his car or engine. I am told it is a modified and re-defined Corvette. We will just have to wait and see.

RUCC is Roger Uptons company and he has a SB Ford powered Cobra (fairly stock I think) but Roger is a pretty good shoe and proves that at Hallett you don't need huge HP to lay down a fast time.

Rich Ortman has a Sebring Replica powered by a SB Ford as well and is a pretty good driver. I have driven with him at previous Run N Guns (07 - 09).

Unfortunately, Mat Twiehaus' JBL Coupe will not be ready (close) for Hallett. To me that is one of the most advanced chassis designs I have ever seen. I know his engine will be strong as well since Brent Lykins squeeze every singel HP out of it. Mat will be driving his Lone Star 427 Cobra and he should be very competitive in his class which is my class too. Not trophy for me.

Another car of interest is Chuck Whites Corvette Gran Sport. Over the past couple of years he has made that ole Chebby sing and handle with the best.

Finally, I have to mention David Williams and his little silver Cobra. David should be his usual self (completely focused on being faster than anyone on the planet). David runs a 347 SB that I would put in the same league with Scott Coyle's Cobra that many of you have watch his video at Road America. The two are as different as night and day personally but their driving skills are remarkable.

Thanks for asking Mark, I hope you make it down with your JBL Cobra. Mat was over last night asking if he could take his coupe on the track without a rear glass...I told him sure on the Parade lap!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

thanks clois, i'm sure everyone will find that informative and interesting.

question, if i come down i had planned on taking the glass out as imo it is not needed as long as a full face helmet is used and is unsafe. would this not be allowed?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

You can do that, I know Dean a few years ago ran a 4" deflector in front of his windshield.

The Spice car doesn't have a windscreen of any kind on it.

"Let's roll"

Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     

I ran a few laps in my LoneStar w/o a windshield in St. Louis. I was unable to hold my head up and had put the windshield back on. Maybe I'm a weakling, but the wind buffeting was pretty amazing.

Mat
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I watched Reg Dodd and Tony Martin run their Backdraft cobras in St. Louis a few years ago without a windshield and I didn't notice any violent head bobbing but I did notice they were both stupid fast.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
I watched Reg Dodd and Tony Martin run their Backdraft cobras in St. Louis a few years ago without a windshield and I didn't notice any violent head bobbing but I did notice they were both stupid fast.

Clois
I ran without a windshield at St Louis... above 130mph or so I had to push my head back against the headrest with as much force as possible to keep it still... couldn't see the guages at all or my braking mark very well... I'd run without it again though. FWIW, I use a Bell Dominator helmet.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Not only helmut shape, but whats around/near it also creates turbulance
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even with a helmut when we were all at Road America going through the Kink I got a lot of turbulance from cross winds. Got my attention more than anything but not a real detractor once I got use to it.

"Let's roll"

Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

Dean has one of the racing windshiels (about 6" tall) he is bringing to sell at RNG, in case you are interested. Might be pretty cheap since he no longer has a Cobra.

"Let's roll"