Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     
Default Best tire for Run n Gun

I currently have Goodyear Eagle F1's, 315/35 ZR 17 rear and 245/40 ZR 17
front.

Should I buy different tires and wheels for track use only or will the F1's suffice? I plan to track the car four or five times a year and drive about 10,000 miles a year on the street.

The car is 2600 pounds, 525 engine HP (Roush 427 SR), T56 transmission, 3.89 rear gears.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Your opinions are appreciated!

Jody
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default Jody

I would contact James Yale in Houston. Run n Gun pro and tire guru. Mybe he will chime in here.

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What class are you looking to run in?

Roush #1 Jody Run &Gun has 4 different classes. First time beginners, Street, Prepared, and Pro. There is 4-5 classes in this, 4-6 cylinders, V8 small block, V8 small block with power adder, Big Block, and Big Block with poweradder. Tires are the limiter for Street and First time beginners. As far as what tires you want to run we have cobra guys running 15" to 18". IMO alot of picking the size depends on your experience. Most of us started with 15" BFG tires, which are cheap and you learn to power slide your car and control it. Then after you are infected you will work your way up to bigger brakes, 17" wheels, better shocks and harder springs. The only cure is more track time. Jim Yale should be able to get you started with a good setup for the car. Just have to remember that the setup on every track is different. 2 safety points I will make and you may have already done. 1st get a nomex helmet and driving suit if you are going to get serious. 2nd is make sure that your roll bar is 2" above your helmet with you in the car. A good roadracing seat also like a kirley that is mounted well. The springs and shock will be different from your street setup. Looking forward to seeing you at R&G. Rick L.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Jody,

A lot of the faster guys like to run the 17 or 18" Hoosiers RA tires but they are a bit pricey. I like either the 15" Bias Ply Goodyear or Hoosier Slicks. A little more forgiving than some of the radials and also about $120.00 per tire as opposed to some of the lower profile Hoosier or Avon radials that may cost close to $300 per tire.

I have 4 full sets of slicks all on 15" tires and one set of street tires so if I didn't have so much invested in all my 15" tires and wheels I would switch to at least 17" tires for several reasons. The two main reasons would be BIGGER BRAKES and BETTER CHOICE OF TIRES in that order by the way.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Kumho V70A

Though I don't have any direct experience (yet) with this particular tire, I just finished a search for 17" rubber myself and settled on the V70A mostly because it was available in a 335 and was slightly larger diameter (26.2") which helps fill up my big rear wheel wells.

At $235/tire rear (335/35-17) and $185/tire front (275/40-17) at my local Americas Tire Outlet (no shipping charges, only sales tax)...they were a terrific option.

I have experience with the V700; and this new tire isn't that dissimilar. 10K street miles (limited burnouts) isn't impossible, but they'd be well bald by then. Treadwear rating 50. If you're getting 10K miles out of a set of rears on a cobra (any brand), you have better restraint than I do. As little as I drive my car, the tires would be hard and worthless by then anyway.

A set of tires every spring is my plan...assuming I don't see much track time. With track time, one set per event probably...depending on how they wear.

Take a look...

http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/competition.do
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Jody, I am glad to hear that you have some interest in attending this year's Run n Gun. I can surely tell you that it will be one of the best experiences in your life.

On that note, tires are really going to depend on your driving experience. If you are relatively new to the sport, or this car is new for you to drive on a track, I would strongtly suggest using street tires to run in. This will help you learn the car better and how and when it wants to break loose. Your Goodyear F1s are great tires for grip and learning. They are one of the best street tires manufactured today.

When your skills improve, then I would suggest you go with a Kumho track tire, Hoosier, or BFG R1. These are all DOT legal tires, but they really should not be used on the street because they pick up all the gravel.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to meeting you some day soon...

James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Good Better and Best you choose

I guess il thow my 2 cents in here I like my DOT Hoosier but hate the cost,a6s in front wore out on the road corse,these are autox tires and give up after 5 laps r6 compound would be a better choice for the road corse looking back but for the autox they dont need time to heat up.If I had the smaller brakes the 15inch hoosier bias track tire would be it,so Im with Clois on that.Just a great inexpensive tire.If your stay in the street class BE CAREFULL most of the major boo boo's were in that class the tires dont stick and its easy to get in over your head,some of us are more eager to find our limit than others as I took an off corse also even with the Hoosier's on OOPs.The F1 Goodyears are a nice tire but not the softes you will find 200 treadwear is the limit in the street class if that helps your choice .I hope some of this has made sense thers a lot of good info being shared here.Gooood hunting...WB3
Old 05-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Jody, I ran the 315/35 ZR 17 Goodyear Eagle F1's in the rear with 245/45 ZR 17 Nitto NT 555's in the front at last years R&G and at the Mid Ohio Cobra School. They did fine in the street tire class. They also allowed me to drive the car to Columbus, St. Louis, and lots of other places and back and have plenty of tread left.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I would probably stick to a street tire with a tread wear of 200 or higher. That will put you in the street class. If you have a lot of track experience then run the Hoosier R6's but that will bump you up to the prepared group. I strongly disagree with Bill about the safety of the street class tires. These tires will squeal before they let go. If you take that as a warning to slow down a little you will be fine. Soft compound race tires work really well until they don't, then you are gone! There is very little grey area with race tires.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

my Falkins never squealed Dean thats why I stated such sorry if I seemed to alarmist I hate my street tires Never had them before wont getm again they dont worn me,as others have driven the car and verified what Im saying,maybe the F1's are different never had those.I want more contol and the stickyer tires bring it,maybewe just cant here our tires from the exhaust being so loud.Thats my story and im sticking to it...WB3