21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default My new project

One thing leads to another. I was looking for fully independent suspension to use in a Kellison Coupe build I am doing. The Kellison is 66 inches wide. Too narrow for Corvette parts and I didn't want to add flares. I found that the 1989-2004 Miata's are 66 inches wide and have double A Frame independent suspension, not struts. I did a little research and found that the Miata is known for it's handling, durability and fun factor. The 4 cyl engine is connected to a 5 speed trans. There is a a large torque arm that ties the trans to the diff. The Miata is a unibody. Suspension cradles bolt into the unibody with just a few bolts. Disconnect some stuff, unbolt the cradles and the body can be lifted right off. What's remaining can be rolled around.

The engineering was impressive. The car is dead simple and it's cheap. I bought 2 Miata's. One for parts to use while figuring everything out. The second to build the finished car. It only has 78,000 miles and I got it for $1250! Almost too good to take apart. The problem is that the 4cylinder wasn't going to make it in a Kellison. That got me thinking about making a little 50's inspired body that would be appropriate for the drivetrain. The idea is simple. Buy a Miata, build a space frame, slide a cool body over it and drive off into the sunset.

So, I am full bore into this project. I have been working with a chassis engineer for the frame design. And, working with a designer in England for the body. I had the body made over there. It was put on ship and is on it's way to me, as of today. The body is designed to go over the relatively tall Miata engine and shock towers while retaining the Miata's stock 89.2 inch wheelbase. The attached pic is a photoshop job. But, I think my finished car will be very close to it.

After a very tough few years I am finally able to be back in a shop and have some fun. I thought that this would look good next to my Cobra. John

Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Hey, it's a Jagbra! I like how you think, John. That will be very cool. Your Photoshop skills are also impressive!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

John

Very cool! Can't wait to see it!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, But, can't take credit for the photo shop pic. Gary, the guy who does the body has a friend that did it.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

good luck with new project, keep us updated
my daily driver is '91 miata and i'm so happy with features
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Neutral     

John,

Very cool project, great idea!

What is the body make of ... fiberglass, aluminum or ??? Very nice design around the fixed positions of the motor and suspension. Love the grille and wire wheels, gives the car a vintage look & feel.

Looks like you will need to move the steering wheel to the other side

Please keep us posted !

- Tim
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This one?

Sammio Spyder recreations of early 1950s sports cars
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WoW, $1200 for the Miata stuff+ whats the exchange rate on the bodies around?, $1500 US come up with a frame for $2k, you could build one of these for under $ 5 grand, keep it simple, jump over the side, no doors, i think you got a winner there
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments. I am excited. I was researching 50's sports cars when I came across the Sammio site. Until I found it I was going to sculpt my own body. I loved what the owner/designer was doing. He was doing a rebody for an old Triumph Herald. But, like me he was thinking Miata as well. He purchased one to work on the design for it. The design has evolved into what you see pictured. I had him make a body with the Head Fairing on the "correct" side. The body he made for me has an earlier hood design that is a little too low to clear the Miata engine and shock mounts. The blue car is a redesign to clear those parts. I will have to make the mods to the body that I am receiving. I think that it looks great.

The body cost isn't bad but it cost almost 3 grand to ship it here! I have worked out a deal with Gary to sell the body in the USA. The cool thing is that you can use everything from the Miata unmodified. The brakes, wheels-tires, steering, gauges, wiring, fuel system, radiator/cooling fans, engine, trans, diff, ect. Not having to source or fab any other parts will keep the price way down. And, the Miata has huge aftermarket support. The "roller" that is in the picture is 967lbs. A finished car will be around 1450lbs. How cool is that.

The body is fiberglass. When I get the finished design nailed down I will make molds so that I can duplicate it. I already have a frame jig base to build the frame on. The fact that the suspension cradles have both upper and lower A frame mounts built in makes it easy. The cradles mount the steering, diff, engine, ect. Keeping the wheelbase keeps the geometry as designed and means that any aftermarket part will fit.

The idea is simple, take 1 inexpensive Miata (there were almost 1 million sold in the USA from 1989-2004.) provide a "complete" kit for around $5-6 K. The builder would simply bolt the Miata parts in then get it painted. Completed for under 10K. I think that It would sell. But, that is down the road some.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Hey John,

You are one of my favorite persons and I am glad you are back at it and in time you will have a new toy ready for prime time. Great idea and I wish you the best. If anyone can make this idea work it would be you. Keep us posted. I can't see the pictures (probably because my work computer is missing something or another) but I will look at your pics when I get home tonight.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

i'm confused....your buying a separate body to do this?
or are you chopping up the kellison body?

would hate to see the kellison get chopped up.......

Fred
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No worries. I am not cutting up my Kellison. I have a J5 coupe which I am ending up putting narrowed C4 Corvette suspension under. I also have a Kellison X-300GT which had had the roof cut off. So, now it's a roadster. It's just that I got caught up in the little Miata project so until it's done the Kellison is on the back burner.

Clois, Thank you for your kind words. If I were in Oklahoma we would have some fun. Maybe someday.

Last edited by john chesnut; 01-13-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Hey John, any updates on the killer Miata?

Steve
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow! I somehow missed this thread originally. John, that looks fantastic!
Really captures the early/mid 50's look. It's got to have wire wheels too. No way around it.
Larry
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments and questions.

The project has been on hold for the summer as I have been the chief mechanic, crew chief, tire changer, driver, for my 17 year old sons racing car. He is racing in New England in what they call an American-Canadian-Tour late model. This is a dedicated asphalt stock car.

When the body arrived from England (took forever) I was VERY disappointed. It was of very poor quality. Nothing that I would want my name associated with. So, I am working on creating my own for the same project. It will have a similar 50's look. When the racing season is over I will get on it.

I am doing this for fun so there isn't a time pressure.

Having fun, John

It's a beautiful day in the Adirondacks. I think that I MUST take my Cobra replica for a long drive today. Need to rest for tomorrows race.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, a lot of time has passed since my last post here. I have just complete the space frame for the Miata cradles to bolt into. The Miata has an 89.2 inch wheelbase. I built the frame with a 95 inch wheelbase. I like to sit lower and needed the extra length in the foot boxes to do so. I also moved the engine rearward an additional 8.2 inches. I'm shooting for 54% rear weight with me in the car. (I still have seat belt tabs and some shock mount bracing to be 100% done with the frame.)

The frame as pictured with the roll bar weighs 229lbs. The roller weighs 1212lbs. I will be using move appropriate vintage looking wheels and tires for the final build. I will not be using the roll bar for the body shown. I was thinking of building an inexpensive track car as well. The roll bar shown would be for that car.

I have gone with a 1958 Devin SS inspired body. I am modifying the body to fit my frame design, size, to clear the engine, and to my tastes. I think that it's going to look pretty sharp.

The windshield is a Porche 356 Speedster. It's DOT legal, readily available at a reasonable price and is available in 3 different heights. (Speedster, Convertible, and Coupe) This will allow me to create a few versions. I think a gull wing coupe would be cool.

I plan to have this finished by May of 2014.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks really cool John!
Larry
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John,if you don`t mind me asking,what size & thickness is the larger square tubing on the chassis?
I always liked that Cobra you built,that was a trick way to go!
Hank
Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello Hank, The larger tubing is .083 by 1.5 inch square. The smaller is .065 by 1 inch.

The main tubing in the Cobra that I built was 2 by 2 inches.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Looks like a "birdcage miata" !!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: