Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #773, 482 stroker, cross ram stack injection
Not Ranked     
Default MIG Welder Recommendation

I am fabricating a trailer out of 1/8" wall structural tube. Any suggestions for a MIG welder? Is gas better than flux core wire? Budget is up to $600.00.

As long as I'm at it, I would like to replace my welding helmet. Any experience with the Harbor Freight adjustable auto darkening helmet for $50.00, or is it better to pay more and get something like the Metal Man for about $150.00?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

A gas welder will make better looking welds with less spatter than a flux core welder. I have used the Harbor Freight auto darkening helmet for about four years. No problems with it. It goes on sale regularly. I have a 220V welder but for home use I would get the biggest 110V you can get. Some go to 145amp and will weld just as thick of steel as mine and you can move it around a lot more places without having a 220V outlet. I was looking at Eastwoods welders recently. You seem to get a lot for the money.

I would not however buy cheap wire for your welder. I bought some.030 from Harbor Freight but could not get the wire speed dialed in. When I switched back to my quality .035 everything was fine. I tossed the cheap wire.

Last edited by Wbulk; 03-19-2012 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Last added.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

man i wish you were closer, i am getting ready to sell my hobart 110v handler and everything with it!

use gas with the mig, much better and easier than the flux core stuff.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

When only the best welder will do,
always go red, white, or blue!

That's Lincoln, Hobart, or Miller. Gas is definitely best and you can get a very nice Millermatic (what I have) within your budget. The 110v unit will easily weld up 1/8", but if you think you may have bigger projects in the future, go for a 220v unit.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I have a Hobart 175 that I like a lot. Its 220v and I've never had it "time out" on me due to duty cycle limitations. I'd had some weird, off brand 110v years ago and it would either time out or blow my circuit breaker after what seemed like very little welding when I was working on anything heavier than sheet metal. I guess the moral is: buy quality, consider what you will use it for, and how much welding you'll be doing. Gas does provide cleaner welds but using it in windy conditions is a problem. As to the helmet, I'd had a Harbor Freight automatic that worked just fine however, I did buy a 3M through my welding class instructor, and it is more comfortable and I paid only about $90 for it.

Last edited by Karl Bebout; 03-19-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have (among others) a Lincoln MIG. Can't remember what number it is but its one of the biggest 110v units. Great welder and I really have no complaints. It will weld just about anything on a car and I can plug it in just about anywhere. I also have one of the HF auto-darkening helmets. No complaints either.
If you buy a welder, spend the extra money for a MIG and not just a wire feed welder. You don't have to use the gas unless its needed.
Larry
Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Don't buy a cheap welder. Our Hobart Handler 140 with gas will weld anything you need on a hot rod or Cobra except thick things like driveline cases. Its a matter of preference but I wouldn't MIG without gas. Prior comments about wire quality ( as well as tips) are spot on.

These things really hold their value, so spending extra to get better quality is a wise move. Tractor Supply has good prices on Hobart.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII
Not Ranked     

Stick with either Miller or Lincoln professional units ( the Hobart ...now part of ITW group ...is the "retail" Millers. The retail Lincolns are the ones you find at Home, Lowes etc )

The best bang for the buck right now are the Lincoln industrial Power Migs

POWER MIG® 140C MIG Welder

Currently there is a rebate ( cash or auto darkening helmet .....the helmet is worth far more than the cash rebate so you should go for the helmet ) for the Power Mig industrial units bringing it down close to the cost of the retail units. The helmet you get as freebie is from Lincolns industrial line so it far better than the $100 ones at Harbour Freight

The 115 volt unit will have no problem with 1/8" wall tubing ...if you ever plan to do aluminum go for the 230 volt unit ...worth the investment

As far as gas / self shielded flux cored goes the MIG for your application is the best choice . The self shielded flux cored actually can weld heavier material on these smaller machines , but conversely cannot weld auto body as easily due to the high penetration characteristics of these wires

One 1/8 tubing you can get very nice, low spatter welds with the self shielded flux cored...just takes more technique
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a miller 135. I dont feel it is hot enought for 11 gage (.119). Any thing thinner and it works well. Using the largest dia wire your machine will take to weld thicker steel will help. A propane torch to preheat also helps. Try to not use an extention cord . #10 wire from fuse box to plug also helps. A friend that teaches welding thinks that most 110 units are borderline for welding 1/8 steel. Mark
Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
I have a miller 135. I dont feel it is hot enought for 11 gage (.119). Any thing thinner and it works well. Using the largest dia wire your machine will take to weld thicker steel will help. A propane torch to preheat also helps. Try to not use an extention cord . #10 wire from fuse box to plug also helps. A friend that teaches welding thinks that most 110 units are borderline for welding 1/8 steel. Mark
Mark,
your friend thinks right. The 0.125 inch is the absolute and out most borderline
for a 110 Volt unit.

LodiWino,
If you welding a trailer with 0.125 inch structural tube you need something bigger to have good joints.
Here is a unit rated 160A...
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
...not that expensive and handles your need. The max for this machine is 0.25 inch. butt and overlap beats.
Lincoln (my fav) Miller are pro machines, you don't need that unless you weld 8 hrs a day, 80% capacity full feed for 3 years (warranty up).

Take it from a pro here, 23 welding units including 3 robots...I think I know what I'm talking about.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I can verify to small of a unit. I have a SP 100 Lincoln, rated at 90 amp 20% gas. I can't get enough heat soak into heavier metals. I was told to try and use flux core with the gas and slow the wire. I have not tried this yet. Go for a 220V. Lincoln runs sales at times with their pro units, you get at welder supply houses. You can get a better unit then sold at HD or Lowe's for almost the same price. The 220 will run off a drier outlet.

I have people tell me they can weld up to 1/4" with my unit. Not seeing it, they must be better than me.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII
Not Ranked     

The problem with ALL the 115 volt units ( and what gives them a bad name ) is no one reads the fine print....they all draw 20 amps at 115volts

The problem with that is most guys in their garage don't even have a "clean" 15 amps at that outlet , or worst...the use an extention chord

What will happen long before you pop a breaker is the voltage will drop enough into the input of the welder transformer that you won't have nearly the rated output

Secondly since current on wire feed process is a function of WFS and dia, you cannot draw max output of the machine with a typical .025" ( for autobody ) MIG wire. In either words, you can crank the output to wide open and you will not draw max capability of the welder !

You need a .030 or .035 dia for that

To make matters worst, gas supplier convince you that you need 75Ar25CO2 . Problem with that is you will have more arc energy with 100% CO2

A E71T-11 flux cored ( such as the Lincoln NR211, Hobart Fabshield 21B, ESAB Coreshield 11 ) will have for more penetration than MIG on these small machines . Don't let anyone tell you flux cored welds are not as strong

Lastly, may people are under the impression that its better to run a .045 wire on these machines. This is simply not true...its a current density thing

You would be suprised what you can do with 115 volt units if feed from a 20 amp ( or better 30 amp source ) , .030 electrode with 100%CO2

BTW -Been working in the field for 16years with Lincoln Electric as engineer who specialty is welding metallurgy and to lesser degree welding equipment design . As tech rep for Lincoln you figure out what works and what doesn't...since when things don't work out I get the call !

If you want, I can do a weld on 1/8 HSS tube with .030 on one of these 115 volt machines and cut and acid etch if you want to see the penetration profile. We usually don't have such small welders in our weld tech lab, but we can pull one from the warehouse easy enough. Just PM me if you want....or you can just splurge and buy a bigger welder !

Last edited by trg-42; 03-20-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You could fluxcore and co2 and get lots of penetration. Called duelshield.

Trg-42 post states the reasons for no long cords and large power supply wire. How come they dont supply 20 or 30 amp plugs. ............so they can sell more units! Everyone has 15 amp outlets. If you have 20 or 30 amp brakers you need the right wire and outlets.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I guess that's where me being a do-it-yourselfer pays off... I wired my garage myself. Number 12 wire, 20 amp circuts and dedicated. Glad I paid attention to my dad when I was a kid!
Larry
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

trg-42,
That's why I went to the drier outlet, using one leg. Originally was at a 15amp outlet, yes I could tell the difference. My bottle is near empty. I will go for 100% co2.

Thanks,
Ralphy
Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I got this package and have used the MIG and spoolgun (for aluminum) quite a bit already.
175 Amp MIG Welder with Spool Gun, Cart and Helmet Kit
Some of the consumables, helmet etc it comes with are throw away junk but the welder seems to do a good job.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
I got this package and have used the MIG and spoolgun (for aluminum) quite a bit already.
175 Amp MIG Welder with Spool Gun, Cart and Helmet Kit
Some of the consumables, helmet etc it comes with are throw away junk but the welder seems to do a good job.
That is an outstanding price -- with alu spool gun -- good find!
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've seen this unit at another site. The question was asked about the quality, I never saw anyone reply. However I see they have a three year warranty. Nick how long have you had your unit? Judging on your involvement here. I would guess you've used it quit a bit?

Ralphy
Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I've probably had it 6 months or more. I use it quite a bit. The machine is pretty quick and easy to switch from MIG to spool and of course the MIG is so fast easy and one handed I've started using it in a few places instead of TIG. It tacks better than my previous machine and certainly welds better. I have used the spool gun quite a bit with aluminum rim repairs through to aluminum body work repairs (all non Cobra customer stuff). I have welded some thin aluminum with either a copper backer or clamped down to the fab table. If you try and weld thin aluminum without that it burns right through. It takes standard Tweco consumables which is as well as the ones it comes with should be tossed out. I re-tapped the nozzle as the threads were crappy. I also put a longer heavier power cord on it than what it came with. I think it's working out well for me and is a great value.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The problem with Eastwoods stuff is that it is made offshore. Good luck getting parts when it goes Tango Uniform. Several outfits sell offshore welders for amazing prices. Can't think of the guys down in Florida that advertise all over. Their machines come from Italy. Parts take forever if they are still in production.

I'm partial to Blue...Miller. My first was their largest (at the time) 110 welder, a Cricket XL, 90Amps. Still have it although it hasn't been used in 10+ years. I immediately realized it was not enough welder for the chassis work I wanted to do.. I bought a Miller 210 (220V) and it was enough welder. Later I bought a 251 Miller and it is a magnificent machine. Flux core wire makes a real mess and you'll spend a lot of time cleaning up the splatter.

I've had my welders for years (Also have a Miller Dynasty TIG, and a Miller Plasma). In those years, I've run a business making metal shaping tools and the MIGs especially have had a hard life. I've had 1 failure on my 210 and 1 on the Dynasty and both times the parts were available and the repair was only 1 day down....also both were covered by warranty.

I guess the moral of this saga is that cheap welders are false economy.

Just my two cents....well, in this economy, probably 3 cents worth

Last edited by Imperial Wheel; 03-23-2012 at 10:42 AM..