28 29 30        
Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Intro and General Dimensions discussion

Hi,
New to the Forum, from Australia and have follwed the Cobra replica industry for >25 years. I hold a sort of timeless fascination for them. However having been an Engineer now for 20 years I see things in a slightly different light in terms of design efficiency and optimisation. I got the following from ERA.

Weight [w/ iron Ford 427] ...2600 lb.
Weight distribution, f/r(%).......49/51
Wheelbase.................................90"
Track, front/rear..................55"/57"
Length, overall........................156"
Width, maximum......................70"
Torsional bending stiffness.......3500ft.lbs per degree of twist

Couple of issues I have:
1. Wheelbase per se a little short
2. Dont like the rear track being wider than front
3. Not very stiff compared with production sports cars
4. No hardtop = no safety

Has anyone considered addressing these shortcomings with a few design tweaks? Eg. Lengthen the wheelbase to about 95", Increase the track to about 63", Incorporate a full rollcage into the chassis and make the body a hardtop fastback and bond/bolt to chassis. Add some ground effects and you will have a safe 180 MPH car with less than 500hp. It is for these reasons I am considering starting the design process on the above. Would there be a market? Love to hear from you.

May look a little like this...

AC Cars Mk VI Cobra Gullwing Launched In Europe | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, there have been a lot of attempts to address these issues. In my opinion, it's not that hard to improve on the performance. But, then you won't have a replica. Nothing wrong with that. It's personal choice.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Shelby built a safe 180 MPH plus Cobra. It's called the Daytona, aerodynamics, that was the issue. Same chassis, same wheel base, new body. You might say it won a few races.

Tongue in cheek!

Also as I understand Shelby tinkered with the hardtop AC Cobra, pre-Daytona. They weren't getting good results.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 11-04-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Ralphy,
Yes I had considered the Daytona Coupe but just liked the potential for a Cobra coupe. Realistically though a Daytona project would be much more feasible. They have a less than enviable reputation here in Australia though as one of our legends of motorsport, the late Peter Brock, died crashing one a few years back.
No, I think I will go a little further down the design road before I entirely abandon this one. First step is to set about finding a useable 3D model for a 427SC which I can set about modifying. If anyone can help in this regard I would appreciate it.
cheers
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'm not an aero expert by no means. But it seems to me the big trademark hole being the the radiator intake. Makes a real hindrance to keeping air from beneath the car.

Ralphy
Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Tinkerer,
Try here, 3D CAD Browser - Download 3D Models and CAD Models.
You can join, pay a fee and download a 3D model. I believe they do have a Cobra.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

g'day,

been there done that.
i've increased wheelbase of my scratch builds to 92.4" (+60mm) and widened +60mm starting from #6.

if you want i can send you 3d dxf mathdata of 427 bodyshell to play/modify, although i've preferred 289 body for my scratch builds.

peace,
ozgur
ozgurtan.com

Last edited by Ozgur_Tan; 11-06-2012 at 05:01 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: