S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Starting my Kellison build

A few years ago I purchased Kellison J5 coupe. Kellison's were sold as body/frame kits beginning in the 50's through part of the 60's. Several models were sold. The most popular were the J4, J5, J6 coupes and X-300gt. They featured swoopy styling with a low roof height. (39 inches tall with 5 inch ride height), Chevy engines were used and a number of them were built with early Corvette frames and drive train.

I'm just finishing a Miata based project and am anxious to start on the Kellison. It's right up my ally because of the Corvette link. I have built a number of cars with C4 and C5 parts. My Cobra tribute uses C5 parts, including drive train. Some Cobra guys are accepting of my Cobra. Others, understandably are not.

I'm going to attempt to us a C4 Corvette that I have as a donor. Essentially 'll strip the body off and fit the body to the frame. The C4 has a 96.2 inch wheelbase. The body as shown is set up for 102 inch wheelbase. I'll be taking 8 inches out of the body just in front of the windshield. The interesting thing is that if you purchased a frame for the J4 from the factory it had a 96 inch wheelbase. I prefer the look of the car with the shorter wheelbase.

I'm partial to roadsters so I'm thinking of chopping the top off. A few Kellisons were converted to roadsters and in my opinion look pretty good.

If there is any interest I'll post pictures. I understand that this is a Cobra forum but I thought that some of you would be interested in other cars as well. This is about having fun and keeping from being bored during the winter!

Ralphy likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
John,

Good luck on the build and I would like to see some pictures as you go along showing what modifications you have to make.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I myself love them with the roof,makes the car look low! Might be a tight fit though.

Hank
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I've always wanted one of those! You have to let me come see it/help out? Hyde

1 vote for "leave the top on"

Last edited by *13*; 01-06-2014 at 03:12 AM..
Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I would definitely like to see the project as it goes forward. ... Build it the way you like. I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of a Kellison J5 roadster, or a shortened one, so I'll have to wait and see how it turns out. All I'll add is that I have seen a Cheetah roadster and it pales in comparison to the coupe in my eyes. ... Good luck with the build.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 01-06-2014 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input. Hyde, I'll be in touch!
Here are a few pictures. The silver car is a J4. It has the same roof height and the body lines. It has a 98 inch wheelbase. The J5 has the same low roof line and body lines. It has slanted dual headlights instead of the J4's single headlight. The J5 had a 102-108 inch wheelbase. The longer the wheelbase the less I like it.

The side profile is of an X300GT. It had a 3 inch taller roof, an oval snout, and a 96 inch wheelbase.

The blue roadster is a J6 that had the roof cut off. The J6's hood doesn't slant down as much and the radiator opening is larger.

The drawing is of a J4/5 with an oval grill.

The stock C4 suspension results in a 71 inch width. The Body width of the Kellison is 67 inches. So, I have to widen the body, or flare the wheel arches, or build a custom frame and narrow the C4 suspension.

When I look at the pictures my favorite car is the J4. I like the single headlights, and shorter wheelbase. I'm thinking of keeping the roof, shortening the body to fit the C4 wheelbase, modest fender flares so that I can use the C4 chassis, and changing the radiator opening from rectangle to more paper clip oval. This weekend I plan to strip the C4 and see how the body fits.

joyridin' likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The silver car with black wheels! Amazing.
Ralphy likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just wondering if you posted on a Kellison site. I guess the guys will let this stay on all Cobra Talk since Kellison did make the Stallion. I guess I use to be a repeat offender myself.

I believe the only roadster version I have seen in person were the racers. That drawing you posted was by Steve Sanford. I have always wanted to do a faithful reproduction on that. There is one painted very similar to that but not exact.

This website is a little slow but I know a few guys are into this kind of build so you probably can post it here. Bomonster is a big fan and artist too and may have seen his artwork at shows.

Feature Car All About Kellison Sports GT Fiberglass cars of 1958-1968

Maybe one of these days my daughters will complete one of the old kit bodies that my old friend collected. The only one that I could spend time on was a Byers SR-100.

This thread is interesting also for guys not familiar with certain models.

Road Racing Fiberglass sportscars from the 1950's
Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I haven't posted on the Kellison site yet but will do so soon. I understand about posting this on the Cobra site. And, I understand if it's removed.

I love the old sports racers. I look at pictures of them every day. I have a Devin body and a Kellison X300 gt body that the roof was cut off some time ago.

Thanks for the links. I will check them out.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi John Here is a link to a build on metal meet where a build is using a corvette for the base of an aluminum body build . His build reminds me of some of your pictures. I am not sure if you have to be a member to view the pictures but I know that you can read the thread without joining. My 50's sports car build - Metal Meet Forums Enjoy Mark
Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

John,

I too would be very interested in following your project. It looks like a very basic ‘kit’ and there will be a tremendous amount of fabrication. For projects like this, I always wonder what one does for glass … windshield, back light, side glass. From OnyxRider’s link, I see that for the Astra X300GT glass it notes …”1951-‘52 Studebaker windshield, 1949 Buick fast back rear glass” … Was it a similar setup for the J-4 / J-5 / J-6? If you widen the body, what will you do for glass?

If you are counting votes … one more for keeping the roof ...
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You know, I swear I just saw one of these for sale somewhere. I think the car was in California and they wanted $6500 or something close to that. It was sitting on a frame and was partially completed.

Cool looking cars! I am really interested in following the build regardless of what site you end up posting it on.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

There's one at a parts store in Pgh.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the pics of the Orange Kellison.

A friend of mine gave me a stripped down C4 this week. I picked it up yesterday. Today I finished stripping it down and test fit the body.

The body fits pretty darn good. The distance from the rear wheels to the front of the Kellison hood line fits the C4 firewall perfectly. The C4's frame wraps around the occupants. You sit in between the frame instead of top of it. That is an advantage for the Kellison because the roof line is so low. With the car stripped down the springs are to stiff so the car is sitting 3 inches higher than it will.

My body has a 102 inch wheelbase. I will be taking 5.8 inches out of the hood and lower front of the body so that it matches the 96.2 inch C4 Wheelbase. Kellison offered frames for several of the cars with a 96 inch wheelbase. I've done a sketch with the body shortened and I think it looks good. The hood had been cut to allow for a blower. I will be glassing it in and molding a Kellison styled scoop back on it.

The C4 uses steel rear frame members and steel frame rails at the firewall. The perimeter frame in the passenger compartment is formed from galvanized metal. The floor has a large tunnel that ties the firewall into the perimeter frame. I will be making a roll cage that will tie into the steel frame rails and tie the rear clip with the front and reinforcing the cowl and rear bulkhead.

More work on it tomorrow. Having fun.

I have 3 pictures to add but I'm having a problem with my photobucket link. I'll try adding them later tonight. Sorry about that.

Last edited by john chesnut; 01-11-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here are the other 3 pics. My son is in the car. He and I are 6" 2". We fit in the car fine.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did a little more work today.

I cut off the windshield frame so that I could lower the body and get a nice rake to it.

I cut the hood and shortened it by 5.8 inches to fit the C4's 96.2 inch wheelbase.

The engine in the C4 is mounted behind the front axle center line. There is plenty of clearance under the hood for the stock engine and radiator. There's room for a Carb'd small block too.

I took the wheels off and set the frame on 5 inch blocks to simulate ride height. To the top of the roof is 43 inches.

I set some wheels/tires that I had laying around in front of the body for a pictures. I like it. Now to shape the dash and start glassing things together.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was going to add flares to the body. The Kellison is 67 inches wide the C4 s 71 inches wide. Flares were added to a number of Keilison's. But, I couldn't find any pictures of them that I completely liked. So, I decided to cut the body down the middle and add 4 inches to the width.

This build is obviously not going to be a traditional Kellison build. I think the shorter wheelbase, shorter hood, and wider body is giving it an aggressive look. I like it.

I'm keeping the quad headlights. Plexiglass covers will be fitted.

I have to mold a new scoop and enlarge the front wheel arches.

I'll make the fabricate an aluminum grill and side vents.

Tomorrow I hope to start glassing it back together.
Ralphy likes this.

Last edited by john chesnut; 01-14-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Great progress. Thanks again for sharing.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-15-2014, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like it! Looks a little more exotic.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the wider width,it looks great!