Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Originality?

Good day!

For me originality was always king when it came to build a replica, but I realized "recently" that there are people out there that can do it better than I can ;-)

For my next build I do like to maintain the round tube chassis and suspension towers, but want to fit other control arms and hubs/spindles, like the upper front from Factory Five.

Has anybody looked into that and do you have a good source for racing suspension parts?
Surely North Carolina is full of them. In the 90s (that's before www dude!) I held a suspension parts catalog in my hands with very affordable components. Forgot the name (that's age related...)

I am also ready to modify the rear lower 427 control arm mount(s) to fit a non-"caster change" version, like on a Superformance. For that I would lengthen the channel profile along the underside of the suspension tower. I need to maintain a reasonable control arm length to keep camber changes small.

Or must I just get a FFR fit?? No...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Greatest of luck, this is a big adventure
Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In general terms, cars built to high level of replication are worth more money. If you have an accurate car, you might want to sell it and build an FFR. You'd be money a head in the long run.
Larry
Old 11-06-2014, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here in South Africa it can take weeks, if not months to get control arms made. I had it done a few times and actually give up. I would compromise for my own car and order parts from here and change the chassis accordingly:

Uses Racing Suspension | RoushYatesParts.com

Used NASCAR Parts and Used Race Parts - Circle Track Supply, Inc.

If I can get controla arms, hubs, spindles and brakes from the US, I am much earlier on the road. Within a reasonable budget.

My thinking may point towards what FFR builds. I need to get to a better internet conenction to look at their site. I have a pair of their adjustable front upper control arms here.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Since you are in S.A. , I would reach out to Lance Stander of Superformance for advice on your build. He's a good guy and also from S.A.
Good luck with the build!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

since u are in South Africa, why don't u get parts from Superformance or Backdraft? they must sell parts and cars to locals?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I have not raised parts issues with SPF lately, be it with Lance or Jimmy, but in the past 10+ years SPF would not sell any parts locally unless you have a SPF and then those parts would come back from USA!

As for BDR, I can't use any BMW parts on my chassis. Even if, there is a shortage of E36 parts.

I built 4 cars over as many years, which is pathetic considering that only about 250 manhours go into each car, from laying the main chassis rails on the welding table.

There are a few more local race car fabricators, but too expensive. Typical response: "How many hundred do you need?" If I needed hundreds, I could open my own factory...

Importing is faster, cheaper, simpler. North Carolina is my preferred source :-)

What I am looking for are control arms with similar dimensions as the original ones for the front (FFR upper looks promising), and something similar to what SPF is using on the rear. I cannot deviate much from the length of the control arms, but on the width by moving the brackets on the chassis.

The rear lower arrangement from the 427 is outdated since tires have improved. Caster and toe changes are not required that much anymore as they were for the 205/15 tires on the street version. The rear suspension won't move much anyway with a stiff spring.

Better even, using OEM parts. But which car has double wishbone suspension these days, except some exotic builds?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

send me drawings of what you want, I have sources to make anything you need. off the shelf front suspension parts can be sourced from -https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/14_categoriesproducts.asp?idcategory=253 https://www.howeracing.com/c-25-suspension.aspx https://www.howeracing.com/c-25-suspension.aspx SPC Race Style Adjustable Upper Control Arms - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys!
The Jegs link leading to SPC is great (as is all other input)! This is the FFR upper arm which I have.

I have a solution for the rear using my own upright and connect via rose jointed arms.
Similar to what I saw on Mclarens (CanAm).

Or like this: 1967-1969, 1970-1973 Camaro IRS Independent Rear Suspension Kit & Parts - HEIDTS

For the front, Mustang 2 looks good as the measurements are quite similar to 427 control arms. Which needs to be confirmed. I need to find the upright measurements including steering arm position.

Mustang II HEIDTS Front Suspension Kit & Mustang 2 IFS Parts - HEIDTS
Old 11-18-2014, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

The oldest Hi-Techs used a Mustang II front suspension. They would take the rack apart and shorten it internally then it worked fine. If you're creative enough, you can make it look pretty original. I think the problem with using the stock geometry is that the lower inner mount winds up being somewhere inside the 4" tube.

I remember some shop was building original looking frames that used the Factory Five style upper arm and also the 5.0 Mustang spindle. Seemed to work fine. Using the 5.0 spindle was nice because you can make the upper balljoint mount pretty much anyway you want it.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I see, means the Mustang 2 lower control arm is too long, and I might as well make my own.
Let me try to find those lenths and also upright dimensions on the web and compare to the 427.