• 1 Post By *13*

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Neutral     
Default 3D software

I'd like to be able to design my own car body. Just playing around(for now)so, free software is what I'm looking at for the time being. I know there are some free software options out there but, would rather not put 25 hours into the program to decide, or find out, I should be using another. Anyone have any experience or suggestions concerning any of the free software options?
I've used sketchup & it isn't exactly ideal for car stuff. So something different would be better
Old 10-13-2015, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Not Ranked     
Default Cad

Considering the complexity of the surfaces on a car body, I doubt that any of the free packages would do what you are looking to accomplish. Look at a package that is good at working with surfaces. Some cad programs work with solids better than surfaces and vice versa. I use VX, now ZW, which was developed here in the states as a proprietary cad/cam software for Samsung, then subsequently sold to the Chinese. However, development was kept in Florida. You can download various versions for a free 30 day trial and there used to be lots of tutorials available so you could learn it on your own. We do full 3d cad design including complex blended surfaces, so the software is at least as capable as I am. E-mail me if you have questions
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Like I said, I'm just looking to screw around with it, right now. I designed a car in sketchup & it was doable but, painfully laborious. I don't want to commit to a trial program with a short term window. & "right now" I don't want to pay good money for something I may use for a couple weeks. I appreciate the info & it may be of future use. I looked at rhinoceros & it looked like a lot of fun. I just can't throw that kind of money into brainfart
Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I use SketchUp for fooling around, but to design something like a car body you might want to get access to something like Solidworks.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Have one of your kids, or grandkids, or the kid next door, get you a student edition of your choice of CAD software. Or, just have the kid download it with a torrent file.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Have one of your kids, or grandkids, or the kid next door, get you a student edition of your choice of CAD software. Or, just have the kid download it with a torrent file.
I tried that but,he's only 7 months old. I'm still slightly ahead of him technically. I'll give him another shot at it in a couple weeks
brettco likes this.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
I tried that but,he's only 7 months old. I'm still slightly ahead of him technically. I'll give him another shot at it in a couple weeks
Dang, I feel old now....
Old 10-13-2015, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Dang, I feel old now....
We aren't exactly young .
Old 11-28-2015, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure if this site will help, but the are definitely working the technology... I bought a file from them for a Maserati and had my wood door and window maker cut a "ribcage" to use as body buck.

https://www.cgtrader.com/
Old 11-29-2015, 03:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Hyde

Get a hold of John Chestnut. His e-mail is on the Green Mountain Cobra's distribution list.

I'm disappointed in Mercury !

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 11-29-2015, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

No matter what program you use, surface modelling is tedious to do and harder to learn. You might look at Blender's capabilities. For under $100, there are some commercial CAD programs that do reasonable surfaces, DesignCad for instance. Look on EBay for older versions.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rhino 3D is also very widespread, surface modling capabilities are excellent (NURBS surfaces as in Catia) https://www.rhino3d.com/

The full version is about $1000 I think, far less than any other software capable of doing similar things.

Surface modeling is considered something like the supreme discipline of CAD, you'll need a few tutorials to get started. However lots of stuff can be found on youtube and the internet.

Simon

Last edited by CobraV8; 04-11-2024 at 06:16 AM..
Old 11-30-2015, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55312 View Post
Hyde

Get a hold of John Chestnut. His e-mail is on the Green Mountain Cobra's distribution list.

I'm disappointed in Mercury !

Tim
i should Have thought about John!

Merc has surpassed me now. Unfortunately he's rewiring the house & can't be bothered.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

You might want to look at Alibre. $100 for a hobby license.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

My main go-to 3D Cad is Alibre Pro. Their Alibre Atom3D is just about the same program with a few less bells and whistles.

Another option to look at is Fusion360. It's an AutoDesk product and is free for personal use. Full powered program but you are limited to 10 active files at a given time.