Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   Alloy Hi-Tech Build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/136925-alloy-hi-tech-build.html)

Bernica 07-26-2016 12:05 PM

In looking back at some of the posts, it is what it is and I don't think what someone is spending out of their own pocket should be bantered around here. It's great that things are getting properly sorted. How it happened is not important anymore. It's in good hands now. IMHO;)

cobrakiwi 07-26-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1400186)
Your work does look good. That said, Hi Tech, Sagebrush, Tim and Mike show, call it whatever you want, a chassis can be bought today from the very same jig that produced the Hi Techs back when they were in business.
Larry

Thanks for the positive comments, I feel if you want to promote other vendors frames etc start your own thread and do so.
As stated earlier in this thread Kevin visited my shop, looked at work in progress and discussed options to complete his build.
He made his decision based on many factors not just the bottom line.;)
As I stated above dream customer.

cobrakiwi 07-26-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1400187)
In looking back at some of the posts, it is what it is and I don't think what someone is spending out of their own pocket should be bantered around here. It's great that things are getting properly sorted. How it happened is not important anymore. It's in good hands now. IMHO;)

Thank you Sir,
Could not have said it better;)

cobrakiwi 07-26-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1400186)
Your work does look good. That said, Hi Tech, Sagebrush, Tim and Mike show, call it whatever you want, a chassis can be bought today from the very same jig that produced the Hi Techs back when they were in business.
Larry

No disrespect to you, but I have fixed a few HiTech's over the years.
With that being said still one of my top favorite 3 cobra manufacturers.
Now back to finishing the trunk frame off.

LMH 07-26-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrakiwi (Post 1400191)
No disrespect to you, but I have fixed a few HiTech's over the years.
With that being said still one of my top favorite 3 cobra manufacturers.
Now back to finishing the trunk frame off.

In now way Craig would I ever steer anyone from your work, rather I would send them to you if asked, as your work is pinnacle! We need people like you who strive for top and perfection as it only makes our passion better. It wasn't my intent to promote, what for Tim, is really a hobby now. It comes from the fact that he is a personal friend of mine but not an attempt to send him business.
Larry

cobrakiwi 07-26-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1400193)
In now way Craig would I ever steer anyone from your work, rather I would send them to you if asked, as your work is pinnacle! We need people like you who strive for top and perfection as it only makes our passion better. It wasn't my intent to promote, what for Tim, is really a hobby now. It comes from the fact that he is a personal friend of mine but not an attempt to send him business.
Larry

Well thank you!
Your posts seem contradicting to me but hey, all in good fun:)

Last time I checked both mine and Kevin's PM function still works;)
Craig

cobrakiwi 07-26-2016 01:16 PM

Deleted, double post.

Bernica 07-26-2016 01:17 PM

Back to the progress pics!!:cool:

Mongoose930 07-26-2016 02:08 PM

Hi Guys,

Let me see if I can clear a few thinks up. First of all, I could have had Craig make me a new frame from scratch but I am one of those people who like to try to bring old things back to life. Case in point, I once got (and still have) a 1960's era Craftsman table saw for FREE. So I add the PALS adjustment system, new Incra Fence and mitre gauge, zero clearance inserts, new motor, overarm blade guard, new v-belts, new safety switch, etc. With the money I put into that saw, I probably could have bought a new or slightly used Delta or Powermatic cabinet saw. I am not saying what I did was right, but that was my decision and that saw has served me very well for almost 20 years.

Yes - the Hi-Tech frame needs a lot of work but I certainly don't think it is bad enough to scrap and even if I did, someone else would have probably brought it back to life so it may as well be me (I mean Craig):LOL:

Bernica 07-26-2016 02:35 PM

HA! I'm the same way. I took an old 1980 Lincoln AC225 welder that was sitting in the weeds for years and brought it back to perfect condition, and that included full rebuild of internals and having the outer cover done by a body shop and painted *****in'. We all have our passions and prefernces.:cool::cool:

Then there's the 1944 WWII jeep trailer that is still in the works. I drive my wife crazy with some of my antics, but it keeps me happy.;);):cool:

Mongoose930 07-26-2016 03:45 PM

With regard to cost, by the time I am done with this project, I could have probably bought a glass CSX car or an unpainted Kirkham with billet suspension but you need to keep in mind, the main reason I sold my Contemporary and bought the Hi-Tech was I wanted to have a replica as close to a CSX3xxx comp car as possible. I am not trying to stir the pot, but he Hi-Tech frame design is much closer to a 3000 series car than the current 4000 & 6000 glass cars. Also, a lot of the money that I have already spent on the car went towards buying some vintage parts that you will see as the build progresses:

- Original Enots Gas Cap
- Original Style Wire Harness built in England
- English built brass framed windshield
- Raydyot stamped side mirrors and Lucas 104 mirror from Bill Kemper
- All Lucas light lenses
- Smiths Gauges
- Correct 16" Moto Lita Wheel
- Ken Miles Comp Seat
- (2) Completely rebuilt and refinished SW240A's from GT40 in England
- Correct date coded and numbered Lucas Wiper Motor with correct PRS7 switch
- Original style tubular suspension
- 42 Gallon Comp Tank
- Original style seat tracks
- Painted aluminum body

The list goes on and on...

This is not to say that I wouldn't have done things differently if I knew then what I know now but that is water under the bridge and right now I am very happy with the progress that Craig has made on the car and I am very much looking forward to driving the beast someday.

cobrakiwi 07-31-2016 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It has been a very productive week gone by, got the trunk frame all finished up.
Got the frame off my repair table and up on the rotisserie.
Lots of welding done, some more welding needed, and a bit more clean up then should be ready for powder coating.

Bernica 07-31-2016 02:05 PM

Wonderful work as always! Keep the updates coming!

cobrakiwi 08-02-2016 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next, I made up a set of our two piece hood hinges, this make removing the hood a little easier once the car is complete.

I cut off the old hinges as I am not sure what was going on there but what a mess.:eek:

This also enabled me to set the first panel on the car, yes the Hood:LOL: now we can build the body around it**)

The hood fit looks spot on, it will be a little tricky to build the body around the hood, normally I build the hood to fit the hole:confused:, but I am sure we will get it right:cool:

Mongoose930 08-02-2016 06:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lucky for me, a CSX3000 owner asked Craig to make him a duplicate of his original rollbar. He made an extra copy for my car with all of the correct details including the proper tube diameter, height, mounting angles, tube spacing, etc. It came out great.

cobrakiwi 08-21-2016 03:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The last couple of brackets welded in place before we are ready for powder coating.
Clutch line bracket welded to engine mount stand, and front body support tube.
Out with the old and in with the new:)

cobrakiwi 08-21-2016 04:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wheeled the frame outside for a better look, now it's time to pull the frame apart and get it ready for powder coating.

Mongoose930 08-25-2016 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back from the powder coaters and the based on the pictures Craig sent me, the frame looks awesome!!! I am flying to VA tomorrow to check it out and take more pictures. Very excited to have the frame properly repaired and powder coated. Now the fun begins...

1795 08-26-2016 04:31 AM

Wow, looks great!!! You are on your way.

mudhenk27 08-26-2016 05:54 AM

Congrats, Kevin...it's going to be a really amazing car.