Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   Alloy Hi-Tech Build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/136925-alloy-hi-tech-build.html)

Bill D 09-02-2016 01:54 PM

This is such a cool build to follow. I'm in awe.

redmt 09-03-2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAStuart (Post 1402240)
Mongoose and Scratchbuilder The ends on those control arms could be brought into alignment with heat in the right place and letting it cool. Its called flame straightening . No manual bending involved. What you see there happens all the time even when it is welded in a jig. If all the jig holes were nice and tight and you fully welded your part you would probably have a hard time getting your part out of the jig. And you would have a harder time getting it back in the jig.

Mark

Mark if you had seen the abortion of metal that came from acton like I have on SB's control arms or any of the FUBAR crap that he sent to me you would see that the pieces were far beyond ever being straightened or aligned to anything more than scrap metal

cobrakiwi 09-04-2016 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kevin opted to go with new shocks and spring rates more suited to the intentions he has for his car when finished.
Once I have the body completed all the suspension arms will be removed for fresh powder coating.

cobrakiwi 09-21-2016 11:12 AM

Fuel cap

3 Attachment(s)
Kevin opted for a lockable fuel cap, (good idea I think) problem was the hole spacing and screw type for mounting are not per original.
To fix this I welded up the old mounting holes, machined the flange and will drill new holes with correct spacing, we will also be using vintage bolts etc to mount on the car.

Bill D 09-21-2016 11:47 AM

Wow! Great attention to detail

cobrakiwi 09-23-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill D (Post 1404066)
Wow! Great attention to detail

Thanks Bill,
this is just the start of many details we are/will be incorporating into this build.
Kevin is really stepping up with many neat parts and ideas, as well as parts we are making for this car is truly going to make it a very special build.:cool:

cobrakiwi 10-13-2016 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Christmas has come early, all the way from the UK.:D
Two wire harnesses, one for Kevin's car and one for me!:D

era cobra 10-14-2016 08:54 PM

Looking forward to seeing the finished car. Keep up the great work.

Mongoose930 10-17-2016 06:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
While my alloy body is being built, I figured I would get a couple other projects underway. This will be a replica of an early Comp car so I wanted to go with FIA wheels. I spoke with Curtis at Trigo and he gave me a great deal on various color powder coated wheels left over from when he made his website. I had the wheels shipped to Craig to have them “modified”. One quick way to tell if a wheel is magnesium vs. aluminum is the location of the valve stem. For alloy wheels, the valve stem holes are in front of an "open" section of the wheel but Craig has moved them in front of the "closed" sections, just like magnesium wheels. After that, he welds up the original holes like they never existed. I know it is a small detail, but it is definitely something I wanted for this project. The first two pictures are "before" and the last two pictures are after Craig worked his magic.

Three Peaks 10-17-2016 08:01 PM

It's the small details like this that really make a build stand out from others. Looking forward to any other ideas you have coming up on this build....

Bob

krausewich 10-17-2016 09:51 PM

That all gold FIA is giving me a chub!

Great mod Craig !

cobrakiwi 10-18-2016 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krausewich (Post 1406423)
That all gold FIA is giving me a chub!

Great mod Craig !

Thanks Mike,
I would have guessed that all white wheel would have been the one to get your crank turning!:eek:

1985 CCX 10-18-2016 01:25 PM

Correct valve stem placement.
Probably the first time efforts like this have been done on alloy.

Let the copycats take note.

Mongoose930 10-18-2016 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It took almost a year but my original style adjustable seat tracks finally arrived!!! I should have added my Leveroll knobs before taking the picture.

cobrakiwi 10-18-2016 08:58 PM

Kevin
outstanding!
Can't wait to see these in person!:cool:

ScratchBuilder 10-18-2016 09:22 PM

Nice hardware!! Vendor?

1985 CCX 10-19-2016 05:51 PM

Sweet Jesus! Fantastic.

cobrakiwi 10-23-2016 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is one of the seats that will top a set of those seat tracks.:3DSMILE:

1985 CCX 10-23-2016 02:29 PM

Looks familiar

cobrakiwi 12-06-2016 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will be starting the fabrication on the clutch and brake pedals hopefully soon for Kevin's car.
Here is my pattern/template pedal and parts we will be using.
We have some really nice and interesting parts inbound for this build.