Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree569Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Like CSX3031 would be really cool! Lip and wheels!
Larry

1985 CCX and cobrakiwi like this.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Hi Larry,

That is great look - I have never seen that picture before. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

A couple of months back I invited Kevin to my shop to look at cars in progress and discuss his HiTech build, it was an absolute pleasure to meet him and talk cobras for the short time we had.
Ideas and possibilities were discussed for his build and by the end of the day I had a new commitment to build his dream car.
A date was set to trailer his project to my shop here in Va, with excitement and on time the cobra landed, with the help from his lovely wife we unloaded the car and 20 to 30 boxes of parts etc, Kevin has been collecting these parts over the years for his project, (many original cobra parts).
After hearing the horror stories and looking over a few things on the car I could see this was no quick fix, a plan was put forward to Kevin and we both agreed to strip the frame (sand blast) and leave no rock unturned.
The project begins
I just want to say Both Kevin and his wife are two of the nicest people I have met, and he is a dream customer.
Once again Kevin thank you for allowing us to build your dream project!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
A couple of months back I invited Kevin to my shop to look at cars in progress and discuss his HiTech build, it was an absolute pleasure to meet him and talk cobras for the short time we had.
Ideas and possibilities were discussed for his build and by the end of the day I had a new commitment to build his dream car.
A date was set to trailer his project to my shop here in Va, with excitement and on time the cobra landed, with the help from his lovely wife we unloaded the car and 20 to 30 boxes of parts etc, Kevin has been collecting these parts over the years for his project, (many original cobra parts).
After hearing the horror stories and looking over a few things on the car I could see this was no quick fix, a plan was put forward to Kevin and we both agreed to strip the frame (sand blast) and leave no rock unturned.
The project begins
I just want to say Both Kevin and his wife are two of the nicest people I have met, and he is a dream customer.
Once again Kevin thank you for allowing us to build your dream project!
It sounds like you helped him rescue his project in the nick of time.
1985 CCX and ScratchBuilder like this.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

This looks good as well...,,
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Have a vintage CSX3020 pic with FIA's.
Will look in the files.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose930 View Post
After fixing up an old Contemporary Cobra (which I loved), I really got the itch to build something that more closely resembled an original Cobra.

The fabricator (?) who did a lot of work on my Contemporary, brokered a deal where I would trade my Contemporary cobra for an almost completed Hi-Tech Cobra. Actually, it was a post Hi-Tech / pre Sagebrush Cobra but I just refer to it as a Hi-Tech.

In my excitement to obtain the Hi-Tech, I did not do my due diligence and it wasn’t long before I figured out that this Hi-Tech had been very much misrepresented and needed far more work than was originally indicated. Buyer beware and I certainly wasn’t…

For almost 3 years I tried to move this project forward but as I continued to peel back the onion, I found more and more problems with both the quality of parts that were used on the build and definitely with the workmanship. What I thought was going to be a 9-12 month project was turning into a nightmare. The fabricator who brokered the deal (and who had previously owned this Hi-Tech) continued to work on the car. I was getting lots of BIG $$ invoices but the project was not moving forward the way It should have been.

After losing all faith in the abilities and honesty of my current fabricator, I did the only rational thing I could do. I picked up the entire project and drove it to Virginia where it now resides with Craig Coombe. The car has been stripped down to the bare frame, sandblasted and is currently being repaired before going out to the powder coaters. Thank God I did this as the welding on the frame was horrific but was well hidden by the rattle can paint that was used on the frame.

The Hi-Tech body has been sold and Craig will be putting an alloy body on my Hi-Tech frame. It has been an amazing experience working with Craig and for the first time in more than a few years, I am very excited about the project again. I will attempt to document the entire build process. I am going for an original style build with some minor concessions to originality for the sake of safety and practicality. I hope you enjoy this build thread as much as I am enjoying seeing my car finally coming to life.

Below are pictures of my old Contemporary, the day of the trade showing the Contemporary and Hi-Tech together and lastly, the Hi-Tech frame after being stripped and sandblasted.
It is truly unfortunate that your path to this point has been both far too long and far too rocky. It also sounds like Craig is the ideal helmsman to get you to your destination.

While you're far from being "out of the woods" on this project, I wish you (and Craig!) all the best and look forward to progress updates as your build / re-build continues.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's an Old shot of 3012.....

I do know that 3047 had FIA wheels when Jack bought the car.
He changed to Halibrand as he liked them. Have old pic of that too.
Attached Images

LMH likes this.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a few pictures from the start of this project, first job was to remove the body, engine and gearbox.
I then got stuck in with the plasma cutter and proceeded to lighten the frame.
The more I looked the more I was not happy with, floor brackets not straight,
front sway bar mounts not flush, poor welding, pedal box not straight.
I stopped cutting at a point where there was enough to hold key sections together and I could build off after sand blasting without having to rebuild the entire frame.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2016, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The engine mounts just had to go, no saving this mess
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2016, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Differential has been properly located and all diff mounts and mounting brackets have been replaced and correctly installed.
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You are fortunate to have some qualified help. Many others on this forum are the victims of hacton work.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

New engine mounts,
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Neutral     

God bless plasma cutters and truly qualified fabricators and welders!
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch Built with 482 FE
Not Ranked     

Wow fixes are looking great!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose930 View Post
Differential has been properly located and all diff mounts and mounting brackets have been replaced and correctly installed.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but please tell me these are the welds you cut off.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmt View Post
I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but please tell me these are the welds you cut off.
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant to display in the pics. After pics will tell it all.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmt View Post
Looks to me like the new brackets in those pics are placed, located, and tack welded in place. Hard to see what is weld and what is newly ground metal for welding prep in the glare in the pics but looks like a good job of welding/tacking in a very difficult location to weld.

The new fabrication looks pretty darned good, IMHO. Interested in watching this thread to see how this ends up. That Chassis should be a beautiful piece once it's ready for paint.

Bob
Old 07-22-2016, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correct. A lot of work goes into locating the differential properly and setting the correct pinion angle. I was trying to show all of the new fabricated brackets and mounts which were only tack welded in these pictures.
cobrakiwi likes this.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

redmt, fair question,
a lot more work will go into these diff mounts, I will fill weld clean off then tig over.
As said above this is a tricky spot to get into to weld, waiting to put the frame into my rotisserie before I will finish these mounts.
Kevin or I will up date pictures when complete.
Thanks for all the comments.

Tags
acton, mickmate

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: