21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2016, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Should I feel insulted or?????

At least three times in the last few weeks I've been at cruise ins or at the gas station filling up and I've been approached by people looking at the car. The first question from these guys is "is that a Factory Five kit?" Last night, after the question I simply said no, trying to concentrate on filling my tank without spilling gas on the paint. So he says, "well, it's still a pretty nice car" as he walks away....

Now, I built this car pretty much from scratch. It is a Roger Bollick (Exact Cobras) carbon fiber body over what was at the time a partially completed frame and I've got a lot of time and effort into it so I'm more than a little invested in this car in more than monetary value, if you know what I mean. So, I kind of feel like I should feel insulted a bit when I get this question but I'm not really sure......

Yeah, I spun the tires a bit getting out of there.....

Bob
Old 09-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

NEVER be insulted by ignorance.
You have to simply let it go.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I guess maybe FFRs are what many people hand heard of. You could dumbfound them by asking if they see a "perky butt" on your car.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Hopefully, the smiley faces show I'm a bit humored by it all but a bit sarcastic also. Last week at a small cruise in I go to every couple weeks I was slowly climbing out of the car (as most owners know all too well) and a couple of older gents walked up to the car and said "it's a Morgan". I said "no, it's a AC Cobra" to which the one immediately replied, "no, it's a Morgan". I laughed and said, "no, it's an AC Cobra" and slowly walked away. Sometimes these cruise ins are pretty entertaining.....

Bob
SHTMDWN PA likes this.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Note the quote under my signature.
Jaydee likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-17-2016, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I don't think you should be insulted at all. I find that most non-cobraphiles have heard of FFR replicas, but don't know of any others. The guy was interested in your car, was hoping to strike up a conversation with you, and as an opener he threw out the only piece of information he knew. If you answered "No, I built it from scratch" then I bet he would have really gotten interested in what else you would tell him. Scratch built is more impressive than any kit to most folks.
jolsen42 and PurpleVenom like this.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

No don't take offense. You have to step back and realize how little people really know about Cobras and how even educated people say ridiculous things. At the end of the day any cobra that didn't roll of the assembly line as a turnkey car with a MSO number is a replica, kit, fake or whatever you want to call it....that goes for SPF, kirkham abd CSX versions. I cannot afford a 800k original cobra and I don't want one. The car you have is to your liking and that's all the matters. Most people will go their whole life without seeing a real cobra.
Antny and Trickcobra1 like this.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
I don't think you should be insulted at all. I find that most non-cobraphiles have heard of FFR replicas, but don't know of any others. The guy was interested in your car, was hoping to strike up a conversation with you, and as an opener he threw out the only piece of information he knew. If you answered "No, I built it from scratch" then I bet he would have really gotten interested in what else you would tell him. Scratch built is more impressive than any kit to most folks.
I take a small binder with me to "Show and Shines" which includes profiles of original cars, most of the currently available replicas and a small number no longer available (e.g. Classic Roadsters, West Coast / Kellison, Contemporary). If someone appears interested I'll grab the binder and show them the photos - some seem very appreciative, while others glaze over and walk away mumbling something about the Cobra geek...

That binder also has some details about my car, plus a couple of pages on the original production numbers. Again, some seem interested while others, uh, not so much.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

When it comes to my car, I hear everything from "this has got to be an original" to "is this one of them Factory Five kit jobs?" None of it means anything. It's gotten to the point now that I do not correct anyone who is preaching to the group he's with. I just let them walk away thinking it's whatever their friend assured them it was -- even an "old Corvette." I only take the car to maybe one or two shows a year now. Usually big, holiday related shows where I know the people/politicians that are putting it on and I know the money is going to a good charity. I will say this, the level of "Cobra/Replica/KitCar Awareness," of today's car show audience, is significantly lower than it was ten years ago.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

The untrained eye is only complimentary. It's normal.
Either explain what they see or smile and say yes.

Jack Launtz had CSX3020 and always let the folks explain the shortcomings of the car. Little did they know it was indeed 3020. Most thought it to was a replica.

I recently had a guy say
"I should stick a magnet to your car and see where it is alloy."
I told him I would love to see an alloy magnet as they are rare.
Bottom line, enjoy your car and drive the wheels off it.

I too am asked if its a FFR
Always say why yes, it's the new 289 car. $12,999
120mm likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 09-17-2016 at 01:33 PM..
Old 09-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
I recently had a guy say
"I should stick a magnet to your car and see where it is alloy. "
I told him I would love to see an alloy magnet as they are rare.
Bottom line, enjoy your car and drive the wheels off it.
A few years ago I had a guy come up, look at my ERA for a while, then he rapped his knuckles lightly on the fender and said to his buddy "yep, that's aluminum."

Last edited by patrickt; 09-17-2016 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 09-17-2016, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory five
Not Ranked     

I'm still a newbie to this forum and I am in the process of building my FACTORY FIVE COBRA,that's why I joined this group to gain info and just talk cobra's. With that being said it seams that everytime some one mentions a factory five on this forum they make it out to be a POS.whats funny is at the end of the day 99% of the people here have a KIT car whether it was bought finished or built from scratch.I don't think I belong on a forum like this....

OP- take it for what it is. At the end of the day who cares what others think of your car, you built it for you and that's all that matters. As long as everytime your in it and puts a smile on your face that's what matters.

Joe
PurpleVenom and txcobra like this.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I have guys all the time at cruise ins telling their buddy " this is an original, you don't see these around often". Of course, their buddy knows even less than they do so they are both duly impressed.
If I'm close enough to the car I will usually politely inform them, but quite often I am hearing them across a distance while I'm BS'ing with someone else with a very cool car/truck/motorcycle/wife......

I actually posted this tongue in cheek. Many times guys want to talk about the car but I am distracted with something else and I'm quite sure they think I'm being arrogant or something and wander off without much conversation. Those are the times I feel bad about not being more approachable to discuss and educate more guys about our hobby. Besides, I prefer driving it to parking and talking about it. Wish it wasn't raining today.

Bob
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe,
You are taking this all way too seriously. I have many friends in our Cobra Club with Factory Fives and not one of them is a POS by any stretch. In fact, a few of them have more money in their car than I do and that isn't chump change.

I wasn't putting down Factory Five in any manner, but I can see how it could be taken that way. The issue is that with the advent and saturation of the market with Factory Five kits, the awareness of the market is somewhat restricted and it is hard to have a discussion with someone who only knows Cobras from Factory five as their back ground. Especially when it comes to a scratch build like mine which takes a bit of explaining at times- especially to the uninitiated.

Grow some thick skin and you'll learn a lot about Cobras of all type on this forum. I couldn't have finished my car without the help I got from these guys and the guys on the ffcars forum.

Bob
Old 09-17-2016, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcobra1 View Post
With that being said it seams that everytime some one mentions a factory five on this forum they make it out to be a POS.
Joe
Joe,

There's nothing wrong with a Factory Five car. I personally know of several in our local group that are exquisite cars. You're just going to have to de-sensitize yourself a bit to all of the various comments that you're going to hear as they relate to replica Cobras. I've actually had a couple of experiences with folks asking if my car is a Factory Five and when I say "no, it's made by a company called Superformance", they give me a look like they're thinking " geez, if it's not a Factory Five, it must be some kind of POS". Like others here have said, for those who are genuinely interested in your car, take the time to talk to (and educate) them. For the others, just let them say what they want and be on their way.

Ted
Old 09-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A few years ago I had a guy come up, look at my ERA for a while, then he wrapped his knuckles lightly on the fender and said to his buddy "yep, that's aluminum."
I've had folks ask if my polished aluminum Cobra has been wrapped with chrome vinyl tape. I've had say "nice MG."

Half the population are in what I call the "basket" of idiots, nitwits and doofuses.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I've had folks ask if my polished aluminum Cobra has been wrapped with chrome vinyl tape. I've had say "nice MG."

Half the population are in what I call the "basket" of idiots, nitwits and doofuses.
Without a doubt, half of everyone I know is below average.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I also think that most who asks have heard of factory 5. But they dont know of other brands or anything about real cobras.

My car is no where done. I get asked when they see my plywood buck with some aluminum panels on it if I am building a kit car. I tell them I am scratch building. There next question is who makes the kit or they say a wooden car with a puzzled look on there face.

Mark
Old 09-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

I hope I didn't come off as uppity. But when the guy from the OP's post said, "well, it's still a pretty nice car" ......what? Lol.
It doesn't take a linguist to notice the veiled insult. You mean it's NOT a FFR and looks nice? Hmmm. Hard to believe.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I have all of you guys beat. There's a fellow here that yells "Aston Martin!" every time he sees me.
Millsy likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...