Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2016, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm anxious to got on with the build. To do that I needed the body. I drove from near Lake Placid, NY yesterday to the Pittsburgh area. This morning I met Mr Bruce and picked up the body. I just got home. I'll make another trip in a few weeks to pick up the nose.
Mr Bruce's body is different than an original Cheetah in a few ways.
The original Cheetah was tiny. 68 inches wide with a 90 inch wheelbase. The engine was mounted so far to the rear that the tranny bolted directly to the diff. The result is that the cockpit was extremely tight. Mr Bruce and I are essentially the same size. 6'2", 240lbs with a 34 inch inseam. In addition Mr Bruce designed the car to use C4 Corvette suspension. This is wider than what was used for the original.

The result is that Mr Bruce's Cheetah is wider, 79 inches at the rear wheel arch's and has a 93 inch wheelbase. There was 1 original Cheetah Roadster. A coupe had the top chopped of to create the Roadster. The rear deck of Mr Bruce's Cheetah is raised between the rear wheel arches. On the original it was lowered. I like the changes Mr Bruce made but the resulting car is more of a tribute than an a replica.

Tomorrow I'm going to start on a new frame.
Having fun.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Hey John!

Glad to see you are back on your feet building wild and crazy stuff once again. And, what a combo you and Mr. Bruce partnering up on the body. Very cool. I've been meaning to send you photos of the '58 Lister COOX #001 revisions, all new motor, rear-differential bracing re-design, vintage buckets and race car interior theme, moved shifter up to driver...the car is a beast now. Not done yet.

Incidentally over the years while building the first two Cobras and old friend from school was the big Cheetah fan. He drooled over them and the history of the car for decades, finding rare photos. I always wondered what it was like to have the seat way back like that over the rear wheels. The Cheetah must be an interesting driving sensation. Keep posting photos. Love the idea of your project!
Old 11-19-2016, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments Dean. I'ld love to see what you guys have done to the car. Please send pics to: bigbellybanks@gmail.com.

I test fitted the body to my hot rod chassis today. The chassis has a 103 inch wheelbase. Tomorrow I'm going to start building a frame with a 93 inch wheelbase. You can see the distance from the engine to the front of the cowl. There is 14 inches there. When done it will be 4 inches.

This body is 80 inches wide! I'll have to order new wheels and tires.

Having fun.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

cobra and boxhead like this.

Last edited by map; 11-20-2016 at 05:58 AM..
Old 11-20-2016, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the pictures!

I started building the frame today. I hope to have it done this week.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was a little optimistic about getting the frame completed this week! I've worked on it a few hours a day and skipped Monday altogether. I don't have the stamina that I use to. This is suppose to be fun, so, I'm taking it a little easy.

The frame is constructed mostly out of 1.5 by 1.5 by .083 square tubing. The Vette trailing arms are centered on the the rear, angled vertical uprights. The inside dimension is 43 inches, 46 outside to outside. The frame is 46 inches wide up to the engine mount cross member. From there it narrows to connect to the front suspension.

The sides are 18 inches tall. This works out to the height at the bottom of the door. The body is much wider than my 46 inch tub. To the outside of the tub I will attach supports for the body at the bottom and at the door height. This will be strong enough so that the door opening will feature a step that will assist in getting in out of the car.

The seats are set well back, in between the trailing arm mounts. The original Cheetah had the engine so far rearward that the trans bolted to the diff. To create enough room for me I moved the engine forward and am running a driveshaft. That is what Mr Bruce did as well when he created this body.

The engine sits tall enough so that the carb/air cleaner will protrude through the hood. This was common on the original Cheetahs. I'm thinking of molding in a cowl induction hood scoop or the scoop from the 1966 Corvette 427 Stingray.

I think that I'm going to be molding in an opening rear hatch. And, sculpting double head fairings. The hatch will give access to the fuel tank and some storage.

Here is some progress frame pictures. Keep in mind that I'm not finished building it out or bracing it.

Having fun.

boxhead likes this.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

That's going to be really cool. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

boxhead likes this.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike, Your frame looks great. Thanks for posting pics of it.

The picture of the Bruce Cheetah next to the yellow one really shows how much wider it is.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
Mike, Your frame looks great. Thanks for posting pics of it.

The picture of the Bruce Cheetah next to the yellow one really shows how much wider it is.
John, Not my chassis I took those pix when Bruce & Jim were building the Orange & Yellow Cheetah

Mike
cdnus likes this.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I worked all day yesterday on the frame. Two steps forward, one back. The suspension points, and engine tranny mounts are in. I'm going to have to make some mods though.

I took the frame down and welded some supports to the bottom of it to set it at ride height. My Bruce designed the car around huge, 33 inch tall rear tires. I normally would run shorter tires but I don't want to get into cutting the body up. So, I designed the frames ride height to keep the correct suspension geometry and body height with 29 inch rear and and 27 inch tall front tires. There is a 1 inch rake in the frame.

I had a 20 inch rear wheel that with tire measures 29 inches tall. (no air in tire). I have a matching 18 inch wheel with a 25 inch high tire. These are shown in the picture. I'm going to be using 18 inch wheels with higher profile tires for the final build.

I have plenty of leg and cockpit room. The radiator will mount vertically behind the front suspension cross member.

This is a Cheetah on Steroids!

I'm running a T-10 transmission. The driveshaft will be about 12 inches long.

I have a stress test tomorrow and am tired. So, no work on the car today. I'm resting and going to watch football.

boxhead likes this.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I worked all day yesterday on the frame. Two steps forward, one back. The suspension points, engine, and transmission mounts are in. I'm going to have to make some mods though.

I took the frame down and welded some supports to the bottom of it to set it at ride height. My Bruce designed the car around huge, 33 inch tall rear tires. I normally would run shorter tires but I don't want to get into cutting the body up. So, I designed the frames ride height to keep the correct suspension geometry and body height with 29 inch rear and and 27 inch tall front tires. There is a 1 inch rake in the frame.

I had a 20 inch rear wheel that with tire measures 29 inches tall. (no air in tire). I have a matching 18 inch wheel with a 25 inch high tire. These are shown in the picture. I'm going to be using 18 inch wheels with higher profile tires for the final build.

I have plenty of leg and cockpit room. The radiator will mount vertically behind the front suspension cross member.

This is a Cheetah on Steroids!

I'm running a T-10 transmission. The driveshaft will be about 12 inches long.

The body looks tall of of the floor right now. There is a 4 inch side exhaust that takes up the 5 inch gap between the bottom of the body and the bottom of the frame.

I have a stress test tomorrow and am tired. So, no work on the car today. I'm resting and going to watch football.

Last edited by john chesnut; 11-27-2016 at 06:03 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been working on the frame. Lots of test fitting to get everything to work and for maximum occupant space. Here's a picture of the progress.

I also lowered the body and mocked it with 26 in tall tires on 17 inch rims.
Having fun!

boxhead likes this.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Is that a stock Corvette torque tube piece and driveshaft?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-01-2016, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello Tommy, The Torque arm is from the C4 Vette. It had been shortened already for my Hot Rod frame. That frame has a 103 inch wheelbase. So, I'll be shortening another one that I have to fit the 93 inch frame and T10 trans. In the vette the arm bolts to the trans. In this application it will bolt to the frame and trans tunnel.

The drive shaft is going to be about 12 inches long. Much shorter than the C4.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've finished designing and mocking up the frame. I'll need the hood now to finish the radiator mounts, front upper cross member and hood pivots. Hopefully I'll be able to get the hood next week.

The frame is 46 inches wide. The cockpits take 16inch wide seats. There is plenty of knee clearance and leg room.

boxhead and joyridin' like this.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but isn't that center console going to be awfully tall? It doesn't look like you would be able to see the passenger.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but isn't that center console going to be awfully tall? It doesn't look like you would be able to see the passenger.
The frame from the bottom of the lower frame rail to the top is 18 inches tall. The door opening height is level with the top frame rail. The trans tunnel is angled slightly up from the rear to the cowl. The cowl is level with the top of the frame.

When I sit in the the car the top of the trans tunnel and the perimeter frame height are perfect for arms to rest on. Visibility all around is great.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Is the seat height shown in post #33 representative of how it will be in the finished car?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Is the seat height shown in post #33 representative of how it will be in the finished car?
Hello Tommy, The seat is lower by a few inches than in the previous picture. I had some wood spacers under the seat brackets in the pic. Attached is a picture of the seat in the car at the final height. I know that it's hard to see the difference from the angle.

Yesterday I set the frame height at 5 inches and added some extensions on the side of the frame to support the body at 9 3/4 inches high. The exhaust will mount below the body and above the lower frame rail. The extensions allow me to work on body mounts while keeping it at the correct height.

From the ground to the top of my head when seated is 45 inches.

Tommy, what is the frame height on your Cheetah? Seat height from the ground to the bottom of the seat?

Last edited by john chesnut; 12-08-2016 at 10:24 AM..