Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. The pinion will be locked into the frame, low by the transmission. A torque arm will be used for this. The rear trailing arms mount to the perimeter of the frame. The trans tunnel will be stressed and become a back bone.

I haven't been able to do as much work as I've wanted. I'm not feeling the greatest so I'm only doing a few hours at a time. I took the weekend off.

I put the body on the frame while it was on the jig so that I made sure the radiator would clear. You can see that I turned the radiator around. I'll run a pusher fan. There is room to route the hoses to the engine. The Cheetah has a short overhang. It makes packaging challenging.

It was also a challenge to brace the front clip and be able to easily remove the steering rack.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

That is so freaking cool.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Today I finished the major part of the frame build. Tomorrow I'll take it off of the jig. It needs final welding, cleaning up brackets and such, and a couple of braces for the rear diff hanger. I'll install the diff for that.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Love the subtle drop of the trans tunnel !!
Worked out great and looks like it opened up a bit of room.

M. Krause
Old 01-30-2017, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Real nice looking work. That is one sturdy looking frame. Can't wait to see the body getting attached.

Last edited by 1795; 01-30-2017 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the comments. I'm happy with the way the frame turned out.
Today I took it off the jig and started final welding. I put it on scales and at this point it weighs 244lbs.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't get much done today. I put the engine/trans and rear suspension back in. I'm using the C4 Vette torque arm. It bolts to the diff. In my case I'm shortening it so that it will bolt to the trans cross member and trans tunnel support. The mount will be adjustable so that I can adjust the pinion angle.
I wasn't feeling well so I went home to rest. I didn't get the mount made. Hopefully tomorrow, and more.

The driveshaft will be 8.5 inches long. The headers I'm using are for an IMCA modified. $100 on Ebay. I'm building this on the cheap.

My build is inspired by the Cheetah. But, it's obviously not a replica. I don't want to disrespect the original car so I'm thinking of calling my car a LYNX or BOBCAT. They are small cats with bobbed tails. Just thinking.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Coming along nicely; you are making good progress. Are you planning on adding some form of heat shield for the foot boxes to diminish the the heat to the cockpit? I have heard that the originals got awful hot with the headers exiting that close to the occupants feet
Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the comments.
The exhaust is actually quite a bit forward of the end of the foot box. I don't think heat will be a problem. If it is, I will insulate the box. I have a lot of room for my feet.

The original Cheetah has a 3 inch shorter wheelbase and the engine is so far rearward that the driveshaft is eliminated. The foot boxes are extremely tight and the feet are directly under the headers. I'll bet those foot boxes were uncomfortable and hot.

I had a gentleman contact me that has a an old one off fiberglass sports car body. He wants to buy my frame. Today I stripped my jig base of the temporary C4 suspension jig that I had mounted on it. I started building a detailed jig that will allow me to duplicate the frame accurately and quickly. I think that I'll use the same frame design for future builds to. So, now is the time to do this. This puts me behind a little in getting my Cheetah complete. That's OK. This is fun for me.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

Thanks for taking the time to let us see the progress
It's like Christmas every day
Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't get much done in the past few days. I had to work on my "business" for a little while. And, I spent a day helping out one of my children.

I started laying out the jig. I wanted to make sure that the front suspension and steering were as perfect as I could get so I built a jig from a C4 factory cradle. It bolts together and will bolt to my jig base. There are some improvements to be made over the stock upper control arm mounts. I will be able to adjust the mounts for that. And, my frame will take all years of C4 suspension.

I have to buy bolts tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been working on the jig part time this week. It's almost done. Tomorrow I'm heading to AZ then to CA for a few weeks of vacation. I'll get back on the car in earnest when I get back!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

First, hope and pray that you stay healhy after your heart attack, I had one last Nov.

Now the important stuff,....lol

If I were to build another car, it just might be a Cheetah. Although I don't care for the Shell Valley, someone built a kick but one, with a beautiful USA flag paint job and stacked F/I coming out of the hood. Believe it was a 383 stroker.

Stacey David (Gearz..... TV show) is or has,...built a modern style Cheetah with huge wheel's, with a awesome,...... motor.

Anyway, have fun with the build, I'll be following along !

(even though it's a Chevy,....I don't give a crap)

Last edited by FUNFER2; 02-11-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Old 03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you Kevin. I hope that you stay healthy as well.

I took an extended vacation to AZ and CA. I came home to NY a couple of weeks ago. Since then I've spent my time working on my business. Today was the first day that I was back in my shop.

While I was on my trip I purchased a MGB windshield/frame and wiper system. I saw a build on Cheetahs always win that used the MGB windshield. It's the perfect size, is readily available, and I think that it fits the look of the car. They are available for a reasonable price too.

I'm continuing to fabricate a jig so that I can easily replicate the frame. I worked on that for a few hours today. I hope to have it completed tomorrow to the point that I can fabricate a frame for me. I need to get going if I'm going to have my car on the road this summer.

I also purchase a new welding helmet that accepts a cheating, magnifying lens! My vision isn't as good as it once was.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Great to see that you are back to work. The weather is just starting to improve. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as this project moves forward.

Jim
Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've just about finished the first frame out of the JIG. I made a few changes to it in the process. I'm reassembling the drive train and suspension just to be sure that everything fits.

I put the body back on the frame and am making final mods and glassing. The body will be 2 pieces and will simply slide onto the frame and mount.

I think the MGB windshield fits the car well.

Last edited by john chesnut; 04-06-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I worked on the final shape and fitment of the body. I wasn't completely happy with the rear deck. So, I did a mock up creating a slight arch from side to side and transition's from the wheel arches. I like the change and now have to create the shape and glass it.

I will not be using the air cleaner shown. I think that I'm going to mold in a shroud for the carb and distributor and use a cast aluminum scoop.

joyridin' likes this.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

pure sweetness
Old 04-08-2017, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Really starting to come together John. Nice work. What color are you planning on painting the cheetah?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man...not a whole lot left on that body by the time you will be done modifying it! Amazing work!