Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Lee.

The passenger foot box is as long as the drivers. I made a compartment in the front of it for the battery. I'm using a Dyna Batt small dry cell battery. It's very light. I've used this battery in all of the cars that I've built and I've never had a problem starting any car.

I quickly set the car on scales at the end of today. The only things not on the car that will change the weight are the 2 side mirrors, fuel, and coolant. I have final spring adjustments to do but I'm pretty happy with the initial readings.

I worked on the dash today. I have to make a few tweaks to it.

I'm using Harley Davidson Vrod headlights. There isn't enough clearance for standard car lights. Mr Bruce suggested the Vrod lights. I worked on brackets that will allow for both vertical and horizontal adjustments.

Last edited by john chesnut; 05-06-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Old 05-09-2019, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I decided to cut a dash out of the 1 piece tub. Being able to wire it and install the wiper system with out the body greatly simplifies things. I then glassed in a flange around the opening that I cut out of the tub. The dash fastens to the trans tunnel and to the flanges. The body can be installed and removed with out removing the dash from the trans tunnel.

I will be shortening the shifter.

I have a drive shaft safety hoop that I will bolt in.

I'm heading to FL this Saturday to visit family. I was hoping to get the car running before I left but that's not going to happen. The next update will be in 10-14 days.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I decided to cut a dash out of the 1 piece tub. Being able to wire it and install the wiper system with out the body greatly simplifies things. I then glassed in a flange around the opening that I cut out of the tub. The dash fastens to the trans tunnel and to the flanges. The body can be installed and removed with out removing the dash from the trans tunnel.

I will be shortening the shifter.

I have a drive shaft safety hoop that I will bolt in.

I'm heading to FL this Saturday to visit family. I was hoping to get the car running before I left. That's not going to happen. The next update will be in 10-14 days.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Looks nice! What is your wheelbase please? I believe the original had no driveshaft. It looks like you may have a foot long?

The windshield reminds me of a Jag XKSS.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you.

My car has a 93 inch wheel base. The Cheetah had a 90 inch wheel base. And, it had the transmission connected to the diff with a single Ujoint. I couldn't fit comfortably in the car with it set up like that. I extended the wheelbase by 3 inches and moved the engine forward. I'm running a 12 inch long driveshaft. Now, I'm very comfortable in the car.

The windshield is from an MGB. I can't take credit for using it. I saw a Cheetah replica build where the gentleman used the MGB windshield. It's the right width, has the right look (IMO), has a wiper system, its DOT legal and its not expensive.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Sounds good! I was thinking perhaps you had done some of those things. God Knows a Cobra cockpit is no large thing and with the original 80" wheelbase I was wondering where you had to put everything,,,?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Getting there. First drive last night. Just down the driveway and back.

[url="https://youtu.be/CEeY91zsBmU"]
[url="https://youtu.be/HQAK3VaWjT0"]
Buzz, undy, Mongoose930 and 1 others like this.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very nice! Great look and sound. It must be really loud when you get on it!

Lee
Old 06-05-2019, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks good John.

Videos would turn out better if the cameraman would turn his phone sideways.

Gary
Old 06-06-2019, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Wow John, looks and sounds great. You are almost there. Congratulations on being able to see this project through. Plenty of good weather before the snow comes again.

Jim
Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the positive comments.

I'm off to the shop to wrap up a few things. Tomorrow I'm taking it to An official county scale
to get it weighed. I need a certified weight as part of the NY registration application. Sending the application in on Monday.

I'll have ny son turn the camera sideways and take a new video to post. ��
Old 06-11-2019, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's been a little over 2.5 years since I started to build this car. Today I washed it and did a quick wet sand of the body to clean it up and remove any mold release. I'm ready to send in my application to the state of NY for getting it inspected and registered.

There are still somethings to do. But, none that prevent me from driving it. The biggest thing is final body work and paint. That will be done over the winter.

I've built a few cars. This one is my favorite looking. I can't wait to get it on the road.

Thank you for the words of support and encouragement during this journey. I know that I've made a lot of posts along the way. You might be tired of seeing it pop up. This was a very challenging build for me. My health is not good. This is probably my last build.

I don't think that I'm going to offer kits. As of today I may make the body available as I can have them made for me.

I love Cobra's. But, I wanted to do something a little different. Starting with a body from Mr Bruce I have achieved my goals. I'm very happy with the results. Thank you for letting me share my build here.

Buzz, maurice19, Grey 65 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by john chesnut; 06-11-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

John,

It has been a pleasure watching build. Looking forward to seeing the car on the road. Good luck and good health.

Jim
Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Congratulations John! It really did turn out beautifully. The proportions, stance, ride height and shape all make for a very handsome car. Nothing quirky or cobbled-up looking from any angle - really nicely done! I fully understand you not wanting to go through the rigors of future builds; but I have to say, out of all the different new replica/kit ideas that have popped up over the years, this one to me has that solid, iconic look that could have some production appeal.
Congratulations again and we hope to see more pictures and updates as you enjoy some seat time and sorting.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The head on shots, with the turn signals now installed, give the car the expressionless gaze of a shark looking for prey. I really like what you have accomplished!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for all of your comments.

I've been posting my build on a few forums. I've had a few people tell me that they would like to order bodies and a few that tell me they would like to order frames and bodies. I've been in discussions with a professional fabricator/welder to see if he would be willing to fab frames for me. He also works on a pretty big race team that is owned by a friend of mine. My son is a racer and is working on the team this summer too. He is a going to be a senior in Mechanical Engineering at Clarkson this year. If Rich, the fabricator, agrees to build frames on the side I will offer them. His skills are awesome.

I will sell the bodies for $3900. I'll include drawings for my frame with the body. This is a hobby for me. I think the frames would be $3900 as well.

Buzz, I've sent you a PM.

By the way, I have to change all of my lights except for my headlights. The vintage LUCAS ones don't have the necessary DOT/SAE markings on the lenses. I have found round LED ones with the markings that will fit with in the LUCAS chrome trim rings. I'm going to go with those for now.

Last edited by john chesnut; 06-16-2019 at 03:55 AM..
Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Impressive accomplishment.

The inspectors didn't require you to install flaps behind the rear wheels to prevent the kickback of road debris?

Would be interested in seeing a shot showing the human scale size of the car; does your head project above the windshield, do your shoulders go over the 'doors'?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
Impressive accomplishment.

The inspectors didn't require you to install flaps behind the rear wheels to prevent the kickback of road debris?

Would be interested in seeing a shot showing the human scale size of the car; does your head project above the windshield, do your shoulders go over the 'doors'?
Thank you.

I've anticipated that the inspectors might say something about the exposed rear tires. In addition I know that any paint job is going to get plastered with debris. I considered changing the Cheetah inspired body lines there to cover the tires at full width. But, I like the look. I'm making some "mud flaps" from clear Polycarbonate that will be easily installed. I'm taking them to the inspection for "just in case". I might end up installing them and leaving them on for the paint reason.

I'm 6'2" and built the car so that I sit low in it. Here is a picture of my 6'2" tall son in the car a couple of weeks ago. He's sitting in an aluminum bomber seat with full padding and seat cushion. The seat can be mounted about 1.5 inches lower if needed. It's 42 inches to the top of the windshield.

In a previous post of this page I pasted links to videos of my first drive. The links don't work for me from my phone but they do from my lap top. You can see me in the car, side, coming and going.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks.
Looks like plenty of room, though it looks like he's sitting on the axle

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is a beautiful and well thought out build!
I didn't know what it was at the time but in the late 60's I got in a car that someone from the local gas station had built and he took me for a blast around the block. Pretty sure it was an original Cheetah . Very rough build but scary fast.
Congratulations on yours, I especially like the fact that it has no top

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: