Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2019, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark
Yes I did cut down the stock axle and used 1340 or 1350 series spicier shafts which are the same as the original Cobra If my memory serves me right.
Putting a 9 inch in 289 chassis you have to relieve the front bulkhead because the 9 inch will be too big not by much as I remember it's not a direct bolt and without cutting.
It will go in but it's tight. I will be using C3 diff in my leaf spring car.
Tom
Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Tom. I have a Kirkham center section but it need work. When its mounted there is not much room. At one time I posted pictures of it mounted and I did not have the top plate on the tower yet and they are a tight fit. I posted the picture to show why you could not mount a jag unit with a top mount. I also have a jag unit and with some custom make side mounts it would work. Thought of using a 8.8 ford but haven't tried to see if it would fit . Your C3 unit looks good. Do you see any problem with the top mount cantilevered over the top strength wise . I think the bottom front mount will keep the twisting up and down in check.

Your 9 inch ford do you have any idea of how wide it was axle flange to axle flange?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:41 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Tom: which Corvette C3 stub axles did you use in the C3 differential housing?

Standard duty or heavy duty?

How did you match the u-joints between the C3 stub axles and the Spices half shafts?

Cheers
Greg
Old 06-30-2019, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark
you’re correct the front pinion mount takes care of the rotational torque and the top piece connecting the two mounting tubes there is no clearance problem in the 289 chassis
As I remember the 9” did have tight clearance on the top because I use the cut down 9” housing which has a greater OD than the C3. Do not remember the width of the 9” it was wider and a ***** to get it in the 289 chassis. I made the notches on the inside of the main rail tubes little longer and deeper. Remember I did this almost 40 years ago!
Greg
Spicer half shaft will Bolt on just like the original Corvette Half shift with the correct
u joint. Do not remember which stub shaft I used.
Tom
Old 06-30-2019, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Tom for your replies.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

The C3 rear ends were just GM corporate 10 bolt rear ends. If you had a big block, they added bigger axles and an Auburn LSD, but it was still a GM 10-bolt. If you have over about 550 hp, even with the Auburn LSD, they will not hold up. Most Corvette owners with a decent amount of horsepower have done a 12 bolt conversion using the 10 bolt housing. It takes some machine work to get it to work, but now you are set for 1000 hp.

Not a bad deal for a small block, but I doubt I would use it behind some of the big blocks I have seen people on here build.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The more I look at Tom's C3 diff concept. the more I am impressed and intrigued.

But the more I look at it the more questions I have from Tom or other experts here:

1) The C3 side yokes (axles) that come out of the C3 diff would use a Spicer 5-1350 u-joint with dimensions of 3.625" wide by 1.187/1,188" dia end caps.

2) The Cobra 427 Spicer half shafts (splined yoke shaft p/n 3-82-268x and slip yoke 3-3-118kx) use Spicer 5-160x u-joints with dimensions of 4.188" wide by 1.188" dia end caps

3) So how do you mate the C3 side yoke to the Spicer half shafts since the sizes of the u-joints (3.625" vs 4.188") are substantially different?

Is there a hybrid u-joint to mate the two?

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-02-2019, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Greg
Yes there is u-join cross that is two different sizes do not know the numbers but you can look it up referencing the width and the bearing size I know it works because I did it but quite a while ago but there are some guys on this thread that no far more than I do
when I received this C3 case it was the first time I touched one since 1982
Tom
Old 07-03-2019, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Greg
U-joint you want 1350 to 1410
It was bugging me so I had to look it up
Tom
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tom. Found it.

Neapco p/n 2-1435 at Denny's Driveshaft.

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom. Are you going to make any more of those adapters?

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Greg
Yes if the demand is there
Old 07-04-2019, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

C3 Corvette suspension, a nice 5 or 6 speed all tied to a nice Gm LS motor NOW you have a COBRA replica Kit Car I want to have!!! Long live the Bow Tie in the COBRA!!!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
The C3 rear ends were just GM corporate 10 bolt rear ends. If you had a big block, they added bigger axles and an Auburn LSD, but it was still a GM 10-bolt. If you have over about 550 hp, even with the Auburn LSD, they will not hold up. Most Corvette owners with a decent amount of horsepower have done a 12 bolt conversion using the 10 bolt housing. It takes some machine work to get it to work, but now you are set for 1000 hp.
This viewpoint is based mainly on the lazy language used in Internet forums. No C2 or C3 Corvette's rear end was a 10 bolt, nor are any of the parts interchangeable with a 10 bolt.

but since the Corvette's rear diff case was held on with 10 bolts... well, there you go... It's a 10 bolt.

The first C2/C3 diff was offered with the 1963 Corvette. Every single one of them from 63 to 82 used a 8.125 inch ring gear, and a Pinion with a 2.125 inch bearing shaft.

The first Corporate 10-bolt differential was offered in 1970 (7 years later) and used a 7 inch ring gear and a 1.75 inch Pinion bearing shaft.

In reality, the Corvette's rear diff design is slightly similar to the later, stronger 8 inch 10 Bolt diffs, but it can also be said that the Corvette diff (and the later 10 bolts) were effectively a scaled down 12 bolt diff, with a shorter pinion shaft, and a 1/4 inch smaller ring gear.

The ony way you are going to break a well built C2 or C3 cast iron diff is if you are dumping 1000+ lbft of torque through it with 33 inch drag slicks.

on street tires, even 1000HP is going to light the tires (especially on a 2500 pound car) long before any diff pieces start breaking...
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So what’s an average cost to build an installable C3 differential?
Larry
Old 07-05-2019, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not a chevy guy so. That did a 65 to 69 Chevelle Camaro Nova ect have for rear ends. I have always been told a 10 or 12 bolt. Does a 10 bolt really have a 7 inch ring gear? How is it measured? Is it the outside Dia ?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Larry
did a quick Google search rebuilt C3 $1600 and if you have a Core knock off 400
So you can figure around two grand or less would give you a rebuild differential with adapter.
working on the price of the adapter right now around 3 to 350 ready to bolt on
Tom
LMH likes this.

Last edited by Tjd; 07-05-2019 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Wasn’t finish writing it did not mean to post it
Old 07-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Tom. Yes I can imagine there is a lot of machining and welding involved.

Is that 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate for the adapter?

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A question for Robert (moore_rb):

Isn't the pinion shaft bearing diameter 1.625"?

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-09-2019, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Greg
it’s 3/8 plate
Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: