General Information
Cobracer#15
Old 02-21-2006, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building from scratch
Not Ranked     
Default ????Please Read ????

There seems to be some ??????? as to what was posted on the beginning of the new threads./
Since were basically starting over again, I was making a separate thread for different items which should make tracking and research much easier than before.
When I went to submit the post, I had to have something in the box.
Then computerworks came along and simplified things making each STICKEY.
Anyway hope this works better and more organized than we had before.
With everyones help, it should be.
Thank you,
Cobracer#15
Old 03-30-2006, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default thanks!

thanks Alex,

I WAS a bit mixed up!
should be better now, even if we write the same things again just to get them in order.

dominik
Old 03-31-2006, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mixed Up

Dom,
After all the server crashes, I remember the old threads which things were really hard to find. Everytime someone posted, they seem to start a new thread so: when I was looking for a post concerning a particular item concerning front suspension it took for ever and sometimes I was thinking maybe I didn't even read it here.

Anyway, thought this would be a better way to keep our stuff organized so Brent made it happen: so the information could be easily found by us and any new scratch builder looking to start.
Sure, maybe it should read "BODY AND FRAME" not just body. and so on...
I Kinda gave up since there are several threads on the same topics again.
I thought this was a real neat place share everyones knowledge but too hard sorting through all the different threads pertaining to the same areas of scratch building. I guess I just dont understand!

Thank you,
Cobracer#15
Old 04-02-2006, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Alex,

threads going astray is in the nature of the beast and not too detrimental, I guess.

One can still do a "search" and specify the sub-forum to search in and we are okay.

good to have this part of the forum anyway thanks to Brent and those who asked for it!

cheers,

dominik
Old 04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     

Yes, things and time run astray all the time( just like the snow is gone and I still haven't started my frame ). It's like death and taxes it's going to happen. I will try keep questions in there proper place but things will stray from time to time. Pat
Old 04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     
Default Photos of Alex's build

Hey Alex, The updated photos of your build look great. Have you started the rear susp yet? Keep up the great work. Regards, Karl
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

good day,

yes a potential sub-thread could be body&frame, and a sub-thread to that suspension mount and to that "5/8"UNFx3" bolt"... ;-)

it's good enough as it is, I guess. We all like it :-)

dominik
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     

alex you started this scratch builder.Before the big crash I was talking about a rearend on a T bucket,(homemade indendent)Real nice chrome one!I have aphoto from a mag. How are they uploaded????????????????????????????????????????
computers are frustationa de max.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pictures

Troll,
Yea, would love to see the pics.
I always have a REAL hard time posting pictures. Guess I don't have the photo software to correctly change the size. Karl seems to be the picture poster here, maybe he will also reply.
I can only post photos in the gallery, as far as posting like Karl, can't seem to make it happen.
If you have a problem, just send it to my cobra15@adelphia.net would like to see them.
Thank you,
Cobracer#15
Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     
Default Posting Photos

Hello, I know very little about computers and doing special things with them. I emailed Ron from Club Cobra "computerworks" and he sent me a step by step guide on posting photos. I made a few mistakes and had to repost a couple times but use the TEST section to work out the bugs.

You can email me at karlmckeever@verizon.net and I will try to find Ron's instructions on how to post photos and forward it to you.

Later, Karl
Old 05-08-2006, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     

I got it uploaded. see my photos!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built, 460
Not Ranked     

What diamiter role bars are you guys using, and what is the radius of the bend?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I'm using a 1 3/4" roll bar to meet SCCA requirements so I can track my car. The center to center (diameter) of the radius is 12". It may not make any difference, since racing would require a full roll cage but it couldn't hurt. It should at least suffice for occasional track days and HPDE days.

The originals had 1 1/2" roll bars with 12" center to center uprights.

Personally, I've always thought the 1 1/2" roll bars looked too small for the proper scale and the 2" roll bars (FFR, others) look too large for proper scale. I think the 1 3/4" looks just right. But that is just my opinion and it's worth about what you paid for it.

One thing I found out is that it is almost impossible to find someone to bend my roll bars 6" radius for 1 3/4" pipe size at .134 wall size. I did finally find an outfit in Texas that did a great job for a very reasonable price.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     
Default Opinions Please

What material will make a stronger frame, 2x4x.250wall tube, 3x4x.125 tube or 4 in. od .188 wall round schedule 40? These are what I've seen (in pics) frames out of. True to form original look is not important to me.
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     

All the tube in my chassis is 1025 DOM steel wall thickness, main rails .120 every thing else is .095. That is spec. for almost every racecar I've ever read spec. sheets for. Anything more is overkill and I know all about overkill. Patrick
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

good morning,

If my memory serves me right ERA and FFR had a report about chassis strength on their sites:

http://www.erareplicas.com/
http://www.erareplicas.com/misc/stress/deslogic.htm

it depends on the overall structure / assembly of course!

http://www.factoryfive.com/
(can't find the exact link to the chassis question)

dominik
Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

Thanks, I have seen both sites and have the FFR CD and catalog but I was just looking for some opinions from the people who are living with these different frame designs. Myself I am leaning toward the ERA type because of the ease of working with rectangle tube instead of round.Fasterpatrick has round and it looks great but for me all the compound radaii would drive nuts.I think I can incorporate the 3x4 tubing into the plans showing the 4 in dia tubing.
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     
Default GT 500 Barnyard find!

holy crap! i was told by a friend of mine that this old timer has an old GT500 sitting in a shed in North Louisiana and hasn't "decided" what to do with it. I am going to take some pictures of it Sunday and I'll post them here. gonna talk to the ol' fella and see what the story is behind this vehicle. stay tuned...
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 08-17-2007, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Get the serial number while you're there. A lot of "original" cars have turned out to not be so original after all.