S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 2.77 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Mike is right, except you won't necessarily need a hot day, just a little time. Support the body along the hidden edges of the openings to avoid distortion.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem with my Allied body, It suppose to lay on & be attached to a OEM cobra chassis and glassed around the tubes. That's kinda tough to do so what i did was hand form aluminum jams, hood/doors/trunk/rockers and epoxied the aluminum to the glass body hammered /formed then riveted the aluminum to the birdcage chassis just like AC cars did on the original cobra. Kinda throws a curve at the people that checking a parked cobra for a riveted body. I'll get a few pics..

Mike

Last edited by map; 01-17-2008 at 09:54 AM..
Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch building
Not Ranked     
Default Mount

Allied
I like that idea..looks good
Old 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Sag?

Sag? , the body is resting on the framework at the front of the hood, rear of the hood, around the cockpit, at the top of the trunk, and along the valleys in the body. The pads in question will have negative pressure pulling the body into the frame, not resting on them. I'm more worried about pulling them off the body. plan is to paint the body with black primer and roll whole car out in the hot Aug. sun and bake before doing the final body work to cure and settle.

Though I like the aluminum edge fake out thats got to keep them guessing. My body has to be removable I don't think I could pull the engine without cutting it up. So to be safe I can't permanently attach it.

Patrick
Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steel and glass expand/contract at different rates, any pulling/pushing forces are going to result with "ghosting" of those brackets thu the body. Better to design a thu bolt system thu the opening flanges around the hood/doors/trunk.Hate to have to say "We told you so " after you put a paint job on it next summer.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm afraid Mr. B is correct. Most of the experienced mfgs bond long 90-degree glass panels to the underside of the bodies and bolt through those. Some have extended hood, trunk, and door jambs that they bolt through.

Or you could take the FFR approach and just drill right through the body .

Brian
Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also, don't forget that you are going to have some through-body brackets later - door strickers, bumper/quick jacks, etc,. that will add to the mounting strength indirectly.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I managed to get a couple more panels finished for the rear of my scratch build, and it's starting to look like something. Now I think I'm getting the hang of this stuff and just to show how and what you have to do sometime.
The mold

The business side is covered with the wounder material ductape.
The layup

Now prying this off the mold was a PITA but it's a weird shape.
Trimmed and refit

It fit back easier after trimming
With friends

Now it looks like progress. I think I will work on the trunk next, until later see ya.
Patrick
Old 02-01-2008, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking RED GREEN would be proud

Hey, check out my new duct tape trunk!

Naw, It's just the next mold for my glass Odyssey.

Now with a little luck I'll has pieces by Sun. eve;

Patrick
Old 02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Largest layup to date, today I successfully laid up the trunk for my car and now the shop has to vacated for a while to vent fumes. About 1.5gal of resin and a s*#t-load of mat later this is what I have.

Patrick
Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

Looking good P!
I love the smell of fresh resin in the morning!
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 02-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
I saw your trunk lay up and photo with the duct tape. You might want to try (campaign signs) for one off or fabs like you are doing. Those VOTE FOR signs are a type of plastic and about 0.060" thick, resign won't stick to them and in sizes up to 4 x 8 foot sheets. The ink or printing on them may run a bit but black pigment in the resign of last layer fixes that. Use a pneumatic nibbler or tin snips to cut patterns with ease. I guess you could buy at a sign shop but I have a pile collected a while ago after the elections stashed. My last fab secret I am willing to leak is to try a hot glue gun to build the patterns too. Good luck and have fun ........... PS don't tell anybody my tricks one off fabs
Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ya, I have some of those and use them when I can but some of the curves I working against don't like their corrugated nature. the duct-tape works well for that, but cleanup is a mess.
Patrick
Old 02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
Your mention of the corrugation is right on but those are like 3/16" thick, there are pure plastic (of some type) material signs that are much thinner and thus easy to do smooth cures with.

In spots you need to use tape or whatever works try spraying surface with PVA or polyvinyl acetate. PVA is water soluble so clean up is easy or hit it with high pressure air gun (but that makes shop clean up instead of object clean up). Have fun
Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Hey, everything worked well and I now have a trunk. pieces all trimmed and refit. now I knew I would have to cut it in half to get it to work but I will fasten them together during final assembly.

Now to move forward. rear cockpit wall, tunnel, and custom dash are left.

Lurkers, I know this thread gets lots of traffic, so speak up good or bad I would love to have your opinions. Plus I don't get out to much so this is as close to contact as I get sometimes;
Patrick
Old 02-03-2008, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

Patrick, I am following your build and getting more ideas for my build. Have the front suspension mounted (tacked ) and am starting the rear brackets in the morning, will try posting some pics tomorrow. Your work is awsome. Carl.
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

like to see some body work...
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterpatrick View Post
Lurkers, I know this thread gets lots of traffic, so speak up good or bad I would love to have your opinions. Plus I don't get out to much so this is as close to contact as I get sometimes;
Patrick
I love coming here to watch the build progress! In the future I hope to be where you are now, as far as actually building a car, but have to get some personnel issues in my life resolved before that can happen. So for now, I will simply enjoy watching what you have accomplished. Besides, you've given me some really neat idea's!

Jay
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Carl's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63mercury View Post
Patrick, I am following your build and getting more ideas for my build. Have the front suspension mounted (tacked ) and am starting the rear brackets in the morning, will try posting some pics tomorrow. Your work is awsome. Carl.
Carl,
did you get those pictures?
how about starting a "Carl's build thread"?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's great to see Joey and Carl getting started on their builds, I don't feel so alone here. Well one more panel done. Rear cockpit firewall,

Now I have some artistic carving to do, the tunnel and dash are next this is where things are going to slow down a bit.
Patrick