S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 2.77 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Getting closer

Hey guys,
I have gotten a few more things done, and continue to move closer to wheels on. Steering is back on and all hooked up. Also I have plumbed all the brakes. Still haven't tightened all the bolts yet, I will have to soon, but I will have to find time in large enough blocks to do all the squaring. But now to get to why you all tune in here. PICTURES

I have to admit this has been a difficult ride but some of you think I'm doing a moonshot project. Wow, it's a good thing I feed on you comments and they empower me to keep going. Keep it up we are soon to enter the real hard part of this build.
Patrick

Well, it occurs to me that perhaps not all of the modifications I made are technically 'street legal'

Nothing good ever happened after this statement;
Hey Moe watch this!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

Beautiful execution as usual. Keep up the great work
Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Simply stunning!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch building
Not Ranked     
Talking Lines

Very nice plumbing job...looks great...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, It's been a while since I posted any updates, well here's what I've been up to. I now have the basic fuel system plumbed from the tank to the firewall, the rest will have to be done after I get the engine in the car. Now as per usual nothing about this was quick or easy. Just thinking about how I was going to do this was a headache, but with the help of lots of forum members and a good bit of money and some additional cussing and swearing I was able to get some things done.

Pump mount, inlet filter, and pump this was a head scratcher the big problem was space and the ability to plumb lines.

Outlet filter, now this required some crazy plumbing yes it looks close to the axle, but I've had some smart people check it out a they said it looks great.

Feed and return lines, this was relatively easy I say that with a smirk.

I had to add two new fittings to the fuel tank. Welding to my tank made me so nervous, just didn't want to burn a hole in it.

And finally the engine compartment complete with regulator.

Now with any luck I can get some brake cables and get the Parking brake working. and get wheels on this beast.
Patrick

P.S. The major delay for the progress was the fact that I hosted the local gear head group for coffee and conversation last Sat., had a huge turnout. I spent three weeks cleaning the shop to get ready.

Well, it occurs to me that perhaps not all of the modifications I made are technically 'street legal'

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

I am truely amazed..................
Duwey likes this.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Patrick, I am amazed, being in the car business I have seen teams of craftsman and engineers , each with their own specialty struggle to get the results you have displayed to us all here. Bravo. Its an inspiration to us all. Hell, I was pleased to be able to make a dirt simple ball joint press tool after dinner tonight, and after reading and seeing your thread, WOW !

As we would say back in the hood on the ball court before a fancy move, "RING the Bell", school's in session.........in this case "COBRA" school is now in session for us all.

Bill
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

No kill like overkill, you continue to amaze me Patrick, this is awesome, and now I think I'll re-plumb my whole fuel system. Keep it up, this beast will end up in an inventor's museum somewhere, its almost too good for the road.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, tiny update wrapped my head around the parking brake. Wow the five pound bag is getting real full, I think it's going to burst soon. No room and calipers where the cable housing moves to actuate the brake led to some good old head scratching.

Problem solved

I won't bore you with pics of the calipers those everyone has seen at some time. I made my own cables (I work for a truck equipment supplier so I had access to the parts and tooling) but still had to machine custom ends to get them to work.
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Hey Patrick. Our country is broken. Can you help Obama fix that, too? He's over his head and you're just the man to come up with something that just might work.

Truck equipment supplier?!? Dude, you should be working for NASA. We need your talents in other places.

-Dean
Old 04-02-2009, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Truck equipment supplier?!? Dude, you should be working for NASA. We need your talents in other places.

-Dean
I swear I didn't rat you out Patrick, he made a lucky guess!!
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have been lurking here for a couple years. What an astounding endeavor! I have done some semi-restorations on a few old Jeeps, and kept up a few other old cars, but this is amazing. I don't necessarily agree with some of the aesthetics, but nevertheless, amazing craftsmanship! I admire your tenacity!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

double post please excuse

Hey Moe watch this!

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 04-11-2009 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, It's time for another installment from "I really don't have a life". I wanted to run the battery cable along the frame before I took the car off the jack stands, Yaaaa-Riiiiight (think Office Space). Turns out I would have to install some of the fiberglass panels I made two winters ago before I could do the job properly. So I had to refit, clean up, and coat them with bedliner before putting them in, but hey it's done now. Have the main battery cable and the ground run. Time for the pics....
Refit the trunk parts (done).

Should I go with or with out the battery box?

I have the fuel tank out for a better view

battery cut off switch

Rear panel with access cutout not mounted yet

And finally out to the starter

Now once again it's time to start begging for feedback so I may receive the energy to keep going, so lurkers speak up, old friends keep it up.
This thread is #2 in views and #3 in posts we can make it better.
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 04-11-2009 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, It's time for another installment from "I really don't have a life". I wanted to run the battery cable along the frame before I took the car off the jack stands, Yaaaa-Riiiiight (think Office Space). Turns out I would have to install some of the fiberglass panels I made two winters ago before I could do the job properly. So I had to refit, clean up, and coat them with bedliner before putting them in, but hey it's done now. Have the main battery cable and the ground run. Time for the pics....
Refit the trunk parts (done).

Should I go with or with out the battery box?

I have the fuel tank out for a better view

battery cut off switch

Rear panel with access cutout not mounted yet

And finally out to the starter

Now once again it's time to start beggin for feedback so I may recive the energy to keep going, so lurkers speek up, old friends keep it up.
This thread is #2 in views and #3 in posts we can make it better.
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Patrick, I'm thinking you should go with a box for the battery. In a couple of Streetrodder magazines last year, they had an article about a guy that hand made the old style airplane seats with aluminum sheet and rivets, double layered edges. really high class, well thought out and well engineered stuff. He also made boxes for various for cars and something like that would really look great in your trunk...I'll see if I can dig up some info...keep going....
ken
Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aircraft style battery box...

http://streetrodder.automotive.com/6...box/index.html

You can always change the style to suit the car but thought this idea would get the juices flowing, not that it seems to be a problem.
ken
Attached Images

Last edited by fastraxsg; 04-13-2009 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: third times the charm for loading photos
Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Baby's got shoes

Hey, I think I have the under car stuff run, now I can get this thing on the ground. Ye-Ha so I put her shoes on and set her on the ground. How does she look? I think with the engine in and body on it should sit down a little more. Don't fret about the roll bar height it is just sitting on the mounts not in them.

Time to go I have to put her back in the dollies
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Been doing a bit of engine work

Well I've been up to my ears in engine related crap for a while. We will leave it at my so called good to go salvage motor was junk, but I managed for find a rebuilt long block for what the machining alone would have been. Most of my time has been spent cleaning up and scrounging parts for the new long block.

Now here's where it gets funky, you may or may not know that these DOHC engines are prone to cooking the last two cylinders on the drivers side. well some manufacturers sell kits that will help with that problem. Because my car has no heater option, none of these kits work for me, so guess what I did?
Duh! I made my own , I'm really lucky that I have access to tooling to do SAE porting. Now how do you think it will work, I should be able to secure the hoses with the top transmission bolts.

Please note that these are pics of the parts mocked up.
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
your skill never ceases to amaze me. I am inspired just looking at the quality of your work. I cannot wait to see the finished product.
Ron