S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 2.77 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     

MIDSHAFTS are factory five for lug wheels 2"shorter they have shortend ones also. Patrick
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Check the Explorer half shafts they should be narrower and have 31 spline inner stubs. If you are still building look at the Explorer back cover it has better mounts. The MK VIII and Cobra uses an interchangeable aluminum diff. I have several SCoupe shafts and 1 DSS Level2 for 03 Cobra. The 03 Cobra is about 1" shorter than the SC. The Ford store couldn't give me a length for the Explorer but they said the inside tire to inside tire is 48" FWTW.

Last edited by hssss; 02-01-2007 at 01:02 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I'm committed now i built my chassis over 5 years ago it's a shelf at the moment, but i need to get the cobra project in high gear...
Thanks for the Explorer tip I'll check them...

Old 02-10-2007, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Room for fancy footwork (I think I can dance)

Well, running out of room quickly but I think this will have to do. Put the pedal assembly and foot box frames in the car, tried to make as much room as possible. This engine is so wide, my feet will be within 2"of the exhaust manifold . Now I still have to come up with a throttle pedal (cable type). Thats where all of you come in, show me your pics, need ideas to steal. Still searching for radiator and windshield.

As usual more pics in gallery: Patrick

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 12-03-2007 at 07:27 PM..
Old 02-10-2007, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Patrick,

Your build looks great. I'm curious why you didn't build 4 into 4 headers for it? It looks like there's enough room for them.

Is is an engineering requirement for DMV? We have problems with engineering and design rules down here. I built an ultra quiet underbody system for rego (87dB at 4000RPM). It all uses bolt up flanges so I can remove it in about 30 minutes. I've built headers and side pipes that will go on in about the same time for the "track".

Cheers

Michael

Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, Mike you are not alone on the 4 into 4's, here is my position. The shorty headers have been developed by ford racing, and have been tested(I will clean up the inside of the welds before final assembly) and will allow what would be a better reading for the O2 sensor, over just one of the tubes. also 4 into 4's would only be better performing, if they could be equal length tubes. That is a road I have been down in the past and decided not to travel again. But thanks for the comments. Patrick
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
Looks like you are still going strong, gets better every day, I agree with Joey about you writing a book for HOW TO....Tex Smith would probably buy into it. The roll bar looks great, too bad it isn't a factory option anywhere. Add a lower horizontal bar and you could put your harnass attachements on it...would enable only lap belts though if you remove it. Will be interesting to see how you solve not cooking your left foot. Polished reflective double wall with heat insulation of some type in between? Or a small cold air duct of some type from the wheel well, would only work when moving though. Keep us posted.
ken
Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's good to be back (repost )

Well those who weren't afraid of the old sever knew that I put the throttle peadal in the car. So now I'm reposting the pics to keep the build thread up to date and complete.

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 12-03-2007 at 07:32 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

every time i look at your thread I'm awed by your work.

Thanks for sharing

R^3
Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up We have cooling or (cold front comming)

Well I've been busy mocking up some new found parts in the car. The radiator and fan have been added to the done list of things to do. the rad is an Allstar Performace 16X28 ford style two row. The fan is well, we'll see if anyone can figure it out. Thanks to all who helped with my info search this step turned out be on of the larger head scratchers.

I'm just going to keep plugging away at the list. Patrick

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 12-03-2007 at 07:36 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

Very nice! Your craftmanship is impressive. Very nice!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh man, you're amazing ....
It's being Perfect !

Congratulations !
Old 04-01-2007, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool moving on

Well I've reached a pivotal point with this project. It is time to start the process of mounting the body(or at least the mounting points to the frame). Now this is fairly new ground for me fiberglass is a medium that I have little experience with so this will be lots of fun. So soon it will be time to trim the furry of my raw body and put to sleep all the remarks that the untrimmed body received.

Now for the photo junkies out there I've taken some new shots of the chassis at its current state. things that have been crossed off the list seatbelt mounts, battery tray, and finished the firewall bracing.

Now for the first of many questions what is the best way to trim the crappy edge on my body. I'm thinking rotozip but what bit? I don't have a clue. Also what is the best way to adhere metal to fiberglass(door, hood, trunk frames) like I said now I'm a complete rookie. Patrick

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 12-03-2007 at 07:39 PM..
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built (in process) 4.6 2v mustang
Not Ranked     

Patrick, as usual your doing a fantastic job im so far behind that its not funny
I didnt get to work on mine all winter and have parts ordered that ive been waiting on since nov.. getting a little frustated with that company needless to say. anyway maybe I can get busy again. good to see you making so much progess though. keep posting those pics your ideas are very helpful
later
stangden
Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterpatrick
Well I've reached a pivotal point with this project. It is time to start the process of mounting the body(or at least the mounting points to the frame). Now this is fairly new ground for me fiberglass is a medium that I have little experience with so this will be lots of fun. So soon it will be time to trim the furry of my raw body and put to sleep all the remarks that the untrimmed body received.

Now for the photo junkies out there I've taken some new shots of the chassis at its current state. things that have been crossed off the list seatbelt mounts, battery tray, and finished the firewall bracing.

Now for the first of many questions what is the best way to trim the crappy edge on my body. I'm thinking rotozip but what bit? I don't have a clue. Also what is the best way to adhere metal to fiberglass(door, hood, trunk frames) like I said now I'm a complete rookie. Patrick
well well well...sure the boy can weld but...can he laminate glass??/ ho ho ho...stay tuned..
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tough talk for someone who's selling off alll his parts
Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

hey now..
i see you are everywhere...
just taking a different route that's all...
i have my eye on a nice lincoln in green valley...
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     

about feed back.Im in awe and speachless.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A bird is not to be caged, but a snake well?

Well, we've made a huge milestone in forum history, over 10,000 hits that puts this thread on the leader board. Thanks for keeping interested, now let's get that reply number up.

Here's an update, Body has lost it's fur, finally got around to trimming that sucker it don't look half bad but she's going to need lots of work. Bird cage is 99% fabricated just a few braces left. New parts on done list coolant fill bottle, rear bumper mounts, and hood hinges. Now here's the gratuitous pics that we've all come to enjoy.

For those whom want to see body shots minus the fur check the gallery, and there is still no vroom vroom shot. Patrick

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 12-03-2007 at 07:46 PM..
Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you ever get hit in that thing, I pity the poor guy driving the other car.

Brian

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: