14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Default All Wheel Drive Cobra?

I know this is a question nobody is asking, and a solution without a problem, but did you ever think about building an all wheel drive Cobra and wonder what it would take to accomplish it?

Well, here is the answer to the toughest part- a drivetrain with front and rear differentials, motor, etc.... -

eBay Motors: 2007 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 engine & drivetrain (item 320210792229 end time Feb-01-08 10:50:58 PST)

Whatcha' think? Who will be the first on their block (or planet) to put one of these puppies in a Cobra? Come on, don't be shy......

Bob
Old 01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

The guys in UK did that using a Ford Sierra Cosworth driveline.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

And with one gear forward and six in reverse, this all-wheel drive Cobra could go like hell backwards... ;-)
Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
And with one gear forward and six in reverse, this all-wheel drive Cobra could go like hell backwards... ;-)

Minor detail, nothing a good scratch builder couldn't figure out......

Bob
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I've thought of making a Cobra with ABS and traction control. Now that would be nice for getting off the line without blowing off the tires.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I always thought the concept GM used with the Typhoon/Syclone AWD would be workable in a Cobra (use the driveline from an existing setup and shoehorn it in)...it would require major surgury on the front framework, but would result in one VERY quick 0-60 time...not to mention some improvements in the quarter mile times. Interesting, but way beyond my level of ambition right now.
Didn't one of our Aussie friends do an AWD Cobra?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

I have give this some thought ,the part i cant seem to figure is the transfer case now if went to the passenger side it could allways be a singal seater,my very limited AWD exp.has the transfer case on the drvers side that would cause you some pain to sit on while you try and drive. Lord know all four wheels pulling would be great for a very traction limited car anyone know of a case that would come out on the pass. side? Neat idea!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

You guys are nuts! If you want all wheel drive..... buy a Hummer!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR4277 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
I always thought the concept GM used with the Typhoon/Syclone AWD would be workable in a Cobra (use the driveline from an existing setup and shoehorn it in)...it would require major surgury on the front framework, but would result in one VERY quick 0-60 time...not to mention some improvements in the quarter mile times. Interesting, but way beyond my level of ambition right now.
Didn't one of our Aussie friends do an AWD Cobra?
Do a google search on Quadradeuce to find a 32 Ford using AWD from a Typhoon. Very cool and quick.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After looking at this more, with the rear engine set up, this would be the perfect drivetrain for the Factory Five GTM to make it all wheel drive. Now if the asking price wasn't starting at $30 K it would be pretty interesting to give it a try......
Old 01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Send a message via ICQ to meat
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
Do a google search on Quadradeuce to find a 32 Ford using AWD from a Typhoon. Very cool and quick.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. The QuadraDeuce (circa 1995) was a very trick idea. It used the GMC Syclone AWD system, had a 500hp aluminum block V8, T56 six-speed tranny, and a ZR-1 rear axle.

0-60 in 3.2, 1/4 mile in 11.7

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none yet but it will be mostly scratch
Not Ranked     

The '70s and '80 full size jeeps W/fulltime 4wd had a TH400 trans W/BorgWarner chaindrive aluminum Xfercase. It has a Auborn style limited slip vacuume actuated locking center differential. This tranny/Xfer setup is cheap,strong and plentiful.It comes W/BPOC bellhouse pattern, but it would be easy to put the guts in a GM TH400 and have unlimited engine chouces as long as you wanted a Bowtie.
It hangs down on the passengers side.I think if one could "clock" it so it was next to the tranny instead of below, you could do this without loosing ground clearence. I would use the front suspension off of any IFS 4X4 mini truck. Maybe use it in the rear as well.
If you started with this drivetrain and built a cage frame around it, I think you could manage two passengers
No scratch all that...It will not work
the front diff on any IFS front end is mounted on the centerline of the vehicle. Even though with the setback of the engine, the front diff would be infront of the engine, the front driveshaft would have to go around the engine.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I came from the subaru AWD world and had a 700 hp awd STi. It was insane. I would love to have an awd cobra but i think it woudl be insanely hard to make happen.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

You set the engine in at an angle just like the HMMWV
Old 02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,

Ram ,if I remember right, had a kit using the the Sierra 4wheel drive stuff, as mention above.

So yes you could take a Subaru or Mitshubishi drivetrain and make an all wheel drive car. It would be difficult, but not impossible... I don't know the implication of all the electronics. especially today with the diffs.

Now the Ram all wheel drive car although cool, lack one thing ... The V8, the bruteness of the beast. Face it we love cobras for what they are... Pure brute horsepower...You lose that with a 4 turbo allwheel drive set-up.

Fred
Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is a car that I actually have started to gather parts for. My new Aluminum backbone chassis uses C-5/C-6 suspension. The Hub carriers (spindles) are the same front and rear, so I can run all wheel drive with the stock Corvette suspension!!!! Am mocking up the Cyclone?typhoon stuff at this point. It will be fun!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

That's it, increase the weight, put on stiffer springs, use truck parts and go faster.......NOT!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The truck parts (Typhoon or Syclone parts) are actually from a van...

Last edited by mr0077; 02-22-2008 at 04:57 PM..
Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With the all wheel drive, looking at a total weight of the Cobra at a little under 2200lbs. It may not be an improvement but it will be fun to find out!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have all the AWD parts collected. Was going to put them into a F5 GTM but the funding for the project dried up .T-56 trans/Syclone transfer case, 2 Franklin IRS quik change rears, one for the front and one for the rear. CorvetteC5 spindles are the same front and rear , just put rear bearings in the front spindles so you have the drive splines for the CVs. 2200lbs is optimistic