LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none yet but it will be mostly scratch
Not Ranked     
Default a practical scratch build

practical=logical.
words not useually associated with Cobra!!
Anyway I can build frame,suspension,wiring,engine,EFI & ect.
I can paint it myself but I cannot scratch build paint, I will have to buy a gallon!
BUT
I think it would be an impractical use of my time to fabricate a
windshield & frame,headlights,taillights,seats,door latches,trunk gasket,instruments
(wow scratch built instruments)
I could grow my own cow and scratch build a leather interior!
SO MY QUESTION TO THE GROUP IS
Duz anyboby know of a "one stop shop"
to purchase a body and all the stuff that goes on to it (see above)
PLUS
does anybody have any feedback on the quality of the reproduction parts being sold for the Cobra builder..
I have restored several VW` Bugs (why bother) with cheapo parts and the upholsery falls apart,the chrome peels,the bumpers are really thin metal,the reproduction sheet metal sucks &ect

I will not be home for another14 months.. but this means I have time to research
Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

fact of life, most of the 'trinkits" to finish these cars are made in Tiawan, flash chrome, poor tooling, etc. As for bodies, give me a call when your ready, I make the best.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

MT,
You've got plenty of research to do, along with planning your scratch build process. There are plenty of places that sell all the parts and pieces you will need to put together a Cobra replica.
Finishline, Cobra restorers, Bethania Garage, several others that sell the parts, pieces, guages, lights, etc... to get you where you need to go.
If you plan on building the chassis from scratch, you'll need to get a set of the Cobra Restorers chassis plans which run around $200 or so. Just about everything you need to know to assemble the chassis is on those drawings, albeit with a few minor mistakes that need to be figured out. The suspension parts and pieces are not on the drawings, however so a bit more research will be in order when you get to that point. Once you get there, just hang around here a bit and you'll probably find all the help you need just as I have. Lots of good builders here with lots of resources they are happy to share so jump in with both feet when you're ready.

Bob
Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

http://www.sagebrushroadsters.com/Co...ica_Parts.html

Last edited by joey_hv; 06-06-2008 at 10:13 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Era?

I am pulling your leg: call ERA? ;-)
Old 07-31-2008, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey has anybody worked with that sage brush company before? They look like they have some pretty nice stuff on there. The 427 bodys look real accurate and the 289 frame looked pretty awesome. The sites a little screwy, are they just starting up?

Any background on reputation/quality would be cool. thanks.