Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default KIT Series on Speed

Watched my first episode of KIT on Speed channel very early this morning (5:30AM showing for West Coast).

At the moment they are building a look alike for a Porsche Carrera GT. Anyway, there was liberal use (troweling) of body filler as part of the build. Is body filler the same thing as Bondo or is it different? I always thought that this stuff was supposed to be used sparingly, very thin layers, etc.

Not criticizing any of what I saw as I simply do not have the knowledge; it just really surprised me how they applied it. Is this the norm for Cobra builds?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

In fiberglass there is what I called "glass sphears" (used to be anyway when I helped a guy build a fiberglass airplane "KR2 I think it was"). It is used like bondo. I am guessing that might be what they are using. It does get heavy if you use too much though (at least in an airplaine application, on the wings) made for a bad weight and balance.

Terry
Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: kitbuild on TV

I hate to be the bad guy, but I was very dissapointed in the first show.
The work shown was very sloppy, and not very inspiring.....come on, welding together a chassis stretch with plates that are so rusty that the welds look like chicken stuff? I think they should up the ante a bit, and show a little more quality in ther work. Oh, yes, and excessive use of Bondo (or microspheres) indicate a really poor fiberglass body.
The intent is great, but more inspiration is needed.
BigMike
Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     
Default Kit- An Out of body experience

I keep hoping it will get better. Maybe a lot of paint (20 to 30 coats) will help.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     

All, thanks for the response. Again, my intent here is not to slam the show, but appears my conclusions regarding what seems to be an abundant amount of body filler might be accurate.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: streetbeast kit
Not Ranked     

They will be building a cobra in the next series, maybe with the porsche out of the way the cobra build will be better.

71SS454 Chevelle with just a bit of work done to it
Old 03-07-2009, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Bondo..body filler ...eventually cracks. They should use a high build primer/filler sprayed on only.
John
Old 03-13-2009, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is the email I just sent the show

WOW UNBELIEVABLE I just watched the first few episodes of your new show called Kit and I am just blown away, an employee of mine recorded it for me to see being I work Saturday mornings. I was just flat out appalled, I cant even put into words how I feel about these first few episodes, frankly it pissed me off more than I could convey. I have never seen such a piss poor representation of how things are done in the so called Kit car world. You should be ashamed of your self's for airing this and making people think that is how its done out there and letting people believe this is how they should build a car. The safety issues were to many to list, these clowns had no regard for there own health let along the others in and out of the shop and the person that my own this car some day. Think about the image you are trying to put forth, take a good look at the episodes you have aired sit down and watch them with some real professionals and may even someone from the DMV and OSHA there were little or no regards for safety.
The build was a out right hack job, I was just blown away that some one would even want someone in TV land or a potential customer to see how they butchered this job. This is not how things are done in most shops and if any one on my shop did anything like what I saw on your show they would be walked to the front door and fired. You really need to be real care full how you represent the rest of us out there doing things right. Not only should the show air a public retraction for that horrible representation the shop should be investigated for safety concerns.
Remember your putting your self's in a position to educate the people that watch your show so do it right, don't let people think they can build that car for 24k and not mention the cost of labor that is just wrong, tell them the real facts, don't mislead the watcher, don't let them think its ok to snort fiberglass dust, do fiberglass grinding with out a respirator, lay up resin and mat with out a respirator, spray primer outside and blow all those chemicals in to the air for the neighbors to breath, Weld with out a gas nozzle and getting porosity in the welds, and so on.
You have put yourselves in a position to help the kit car community don't air any more of this carp and hurt it any more than you have. The industry has gotten a bad name from hack shops like the one you were so willing to put in the spot light now do the right thing and do your home work and show how to do it right with the upmost safety for the customer and the shops employees.

Stop by and see what we are working on @ www.eddytheb.com
Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is what come back so let let them know what we think of the next build and hope they listen

Thanks for your input. It hasn't fallen on deaf ears. I'd really
>> like get your opinion as the season progresses. Different
>> builders with different shops. We too have learned as this series
>> has developed what makes a really good build. I really hope you
>> find the next car build more in line with what you want the
>> industry to put forth. Don't abandon us yet. First season first
>> build.
>>
>>
>> Thank you
>> Peter Borne
Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yea, the quality of the work was horrible. It damn sure didnt do any good for the kit builder image.

Also... There are several quality body fillers used in todays market and "if applied correctly" will easily last the life of the vehicle. When it was first introduced it did have issues and gained a bad reputation but that time has long gone.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

HA HA HA Get the popcorn it's only gonna get better.

I thought it was amusing watching An Autobody Experience slam that kit together it's like WWF.
If there that dumb to snort glass dust it's there lungs I really don't give a $hit...

looks like the Cobra molds need a little work...
They should hire Mr.Bruce to show em how it's done!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

The first project wasn't really a kit, it was a Porsche re-body, with the frame being lengthened without a jig. Unfortunately, many small-time body shops work like this. It's not indicative of the current kit car industry. Let's hope they get it better soon.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I believe the car is now on E-Bay for ONLY $65,000.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, too many of these shows are about "real" as the "reality" shows.
This morning I watched a host describing in detail the importance of getting the seats in the correct position.
He had his right hand on an imaginary shifter, his left hand on an imaginary steering wheel, and his feet on imaginary pedals.
I imagined that that car was the most comfortable vehicle I had ever driven.