LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default DIY Alu body market?

Hi all,

I have made some alu-parts and deep draw tools earlied in my daily job (not for cars) and I have now thinking that maybe I could do also some cobra alu-body parts.

So I like to ask from you that what you think:

- Is there market for pre formed alu body parts if set of those cost e.g. 5000$ (just pull that price from my hat…)

- Parts could look like any normal ”deep draw” parts and have some extra material left around part shape. Reason for this is that who ever put those together should trim those parts (real scratch building…) and do the final fitting to chassis.

- One body could be made about 10-14pcs of parts (include door, hood etc panels). This amount depend a bit of material what will be used. E.g 1xxxx series of alumin is much easier to form that 7xxxx.

- No Sub-frame etc. Included. I don’t have time, tools, skill to do this (but if there is a lot of need for these then I could find some company to made those).

If there is market let say more that 15pcs of these then this project could be doable.

I know that this is very rough idea and there is still a lot of open questions like body shape, materials, what chassis could be used etc etc but those can be solved if there is real need/market for these parts.

Let me hear about your opinion of this idea, and let see do I need to think this more seriously.

Ps. As some one may remember I made a mold for fiber cobra body last year. I did have a plan to made fiber body for my own build, but that project is a bit ”ongoing” at the moment. I (and specially my five) get enough of fiber/resin mess during mold building
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

$5K? you won't be able to make them fast enough. Please contact me, I would like to discuss this offline,( phone call) thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Sounds like an interesting idea. I think it's the type of project i'd be into someday when I have the space. Buy the panels & build the rest from scratch. I think it comes down to the final price & quality of work.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
$5K? you won't be able to make them fast enough. Please contact me, I would like to discuss this offline,( phone call) thanks
Bruce,

Going to be a long distance call as to the best of my knowledge, this user is located in Russia.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...Finland
Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finland, so what , I got unlimited minutes on my cell phone.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Can you make the car look like the 2004 concept??

Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

no, no, no !
world does not need replica of that some kind of audi tt roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
Can you make the car look like the 2004 concept??

Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I have a 66. I'd be interested in the 2004 concept, it has nice lines. It appeals to me.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If (and that is a big IF) I can do cobra shape then I can do almost any shape.

But I think that IPR issues may cause some problems with 2004 concept shape so lets skip that and stay playing with older stuff.

I'm in very much in starting point with this case and just like first to know is there market for that kind of parts. If (and seems that there is at least some) there is then I will invest a bit for this project and let see then what I can do.

So shortly: I can't promise anything at the moment for sure, but if there is enought interesting for this kind of parts I will made some test tool and some sample parts (front of cobra is most difficult so lets start from that end).

BR
jberg
Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dang, post some pictures when you get a chance.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just start to made one fiber body just so see what kind of mold I have. I will then post some picture of that (affter I get it ready ~next week).

I'd like then get comments from you that is that shape enough good to copied to aluminium forming tools.

I will also measure that body and how symmetrical that body is and also take some main (wheel base, wide, lenght etc) measures.

Have anyone measure other kit's bodies left vs right side difference? Or could you say what is ok tolereance for these bodies?

Originally I made/plan that mold so that I could made only one car body what is made "track only" purpose (ok I will need a lot of spare parts with my driving skill so I need that mold also for that reason...) so I'm not sure is that good enough for any other pupose...

BR
Jberg
Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax -fuel inj 383 chevy
Send a message via Yahoo to 427 sam
Not Ranked     

hi Jberg, have you thought of the Dax or gardner douglas chasis for a base start.regards Dave ps i am based in the uk:
Old 10-03-2009, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few suggestions, find the most authentic looking body for this project. If you build your forms from scratch or use the "wrong" body, potential buyers will not be interested. If there is too much welding required that will be a drawback also, so keep the joints to a minimum. I would be interested in being your US distributor.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree that I should get some beter starting point for this project. Only problem is that there is only some pilgrim bodies around here. And this what I made.

I will use this body shape at least for test tooling purpose. If that test tool works as I expect I will then start looking some more autentical body shape.

Final shape can be 3D file or real body just what is easiest to get.

BR
Jberg
Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Not to pop your bubble, but there's already some guys in Poland doing this...

Far as I know the Kirkhams will sell just the skin if that's what your looking for.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

FYI, "pilgrim sumo" has got good body shape but looks more like "ac sports 289 mkIII"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg View Post
I agree that I should get some beter starting point for this project. Only problem is that there is only some pilgrim bodies around here. And this what I made.

I will use this body shape at least for test tooling purpose. If that test tool works as I expect I will then start looking some more autentical body shape.

Final shape can be 3D file or real body just what is easiest to get.

BR
Jberg
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi

I just get one fiber body made and I take few pic of that.

and

This fiber body is desingned to fit to origin style chassis but I don't have chassis made yet so I'm not sure how well that fit.

Anyway I don't start made any chassis yet because I fill focus to alu-forming and I will next try to made this part

using some alumin (and stainles steel). This part abowe is from mold what I made but I'm interesting to have similar part of some mold/body what is correct and what is proof to fit to origin style chassis. So if you have mold for that kind of body and like to get that shape to be copied to alumin bodies send a PM to me.

And first alu-part are done earliest next January.

BR
Jberg
Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dreaming of a 427 Competition car...
Not Ranked     

I'd definitely be interested.

For an accurately shaped mould, you could try contacting John Kerr at Crendon. His cars are industry leaders in terms of shape and authenticity, as well as sheer quality.

I am based in London, England.

Paul
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     
Wink

I may be wrong, but unless John wants to us JBerg as a supplier, i doubt there will be much interest. Im seeing him early next week so I'll mention it. The crendon body is a corker though.

Im not sure those pics are of a sumo - the oil cooler vent isnt quite right. The Pilgrim bodyshell isnt too bad overall, but door/bonnet fit would need to be much better for an ali car. Also, the sidevent and door apetures are slightly different sizes, and the slanted font and back edges on the vents arent exactly parallel. No problem on their kit with their stick on vents, but again, not good enough for ali. Just MHO ofcourse, but i used to have one!

[My Crendon package arriving in 8 days]